SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Indie Subsims
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-05-15, 01:07 PM   #1
nsomnia
Weps

Downloads: 44
Uploads: 0

I may have a team member on board! We'll see how the discussions go!

Todays goal: get the exterior model finished and animated/rigged so I can start an actual game project.
Old 03-05-15, 03:45 PM   #2
Relmu
Watch

Downloads: 0

Heres to hoping it'll work on linux. I'd lend a hand if I knew anything about what I was doing >.<

Edit.

I could possibly help out with some coding, but only at a particularly junior level. Statements are fun, pointers are nightmarish.
Old 03-05-15, 04:16 PM   #3
nsomnia
Weps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relmu View Post
Heres to hoping it'll work on linux. I'd lend a hand if I knew anything about what I was doing >.<

Edit.

I could possibly help out with some coding, but only at a particularly junior level. Statements are fun, pointers are nightmarish.
I havnt event got to pointers yet.

Download UE4. Try out blueprinting. You dont code, its all visual adding parameters and connecting return values, creating variables etc.

In talks with 2 people regarding some help. This might go somewhere!

I got the top half of the rudder done and moving and the prop shaft housings blocked in.

Enough for now. Been at it for 8 hours again. Gonna go setup my garage for my scale models again, gonna go work on New Jersey.

Last edited by nsomnia; 03-05-15 at 04:48 PM.
nsomnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-15, 06:11 PM   #4
Chad
ACE

Downloads: 60

@nsomnia, stick with Unreal!

Sorry for my absence, busy at work. But I plan on downloading Unreal and begin learning the ins-and-outs of it. I already have a head start with the video you made for me last week

The sub model is really coming along, and when you apply even a diffuse map it will look very good.

You did successfully add me to Steam, I accepted and see you are 'Away' currently.
Old 03-05-15, 08:38 PM   #5
nsomnia
Weps

I'm out for the day. Worked too much for my birthday, even if I am getting too old for birthdays.

The rudder moves (If you can tell) and the bow planes too, but they are placeholderss.

I can plug it into unreal when I get the balls. Got a team member for sure it looks like.

Old 03-06-15, 03:04 AM   #6
nsomnia
Weps

Didn't get much done today. Will finish the model tommorrow.

Underwater Camera Effects: confirmed feature:
"Fringe, Color Grading, DOF, and other settings in a Post Process Volume below the water surface."

Water Drop/Stream Effects: confirmed feature:
"A Post Process blendable Screen FX with water drops and small streams of water running down the screen when the camera moves back up out of the water."

So is rain/sleet/snow so as you progress through time, and different biomes you'll get different weather effects. May even implement historic or random hurricanes/typhoons/tropical storms.

We are working on a full calender system so that the moon and sun rises and sets in the proper place and time according to time of year and location.

If peformance allows too, fish and whales and such will be implemented to swim past at random intervals which you would see with the external camera, on the bridge, through the periscope, or portholes/windows/cameras on the sub classes that have them. Its a goal, but I'd like to implement them "fuzzying" the sonar readings and large whales maybe even radar? Sea life has AI and are attracted to the player but are scared by sounds and moving close to them inwhich case they will flock and move around the player.

Also there is a fully functional swimming implementation, I'll probably remove it for extra performance but it could be cool to play out the "send SEAL team to this location" missions as the actual soldiers. Mix up FPS with simulation genre. Change of pace. Also could make it so under extreme flooding you could swim to the surface and be "rescued" for a large time advance and the loss of your boat/mission.

Last edited by nsomnia; 03-06-15 at 03:20 AM.
nsomnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-15, 11:41 AM   #7
nsomnia
Weps

Me and my most likely co-founder teammember are laying down the groundwork for the game this weekend. Expect big updates.