SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-19-15, 10:08 PM   #16
CybrSlydr
Lieutenant

Downloads: 13
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
Ours didn't see service in WWII either but the first three North Korean aircraft shot down were by Mustang F-82's the main problem with the 109-Z as with much of the german war machine: timing; was that it was simply superseded by the ME-262 jet
I always wondered why they made that plane instead of the P-38 with Merlins.
Old 11-01-15, 08:44 AM   #17
biosthetique
Lieutenant

Downloads: 652

I like WOW. It is interesting.

Recreating history only happens when re-enactors get together. Otherwise it is playing games in a pseudo historical environment, and it is not history. Anyone got to Kursk lately in a real T-34 or a real Panther, and re-created the Historical battle?. Anyone got in a real U-Boot lately in the icy North Atlantic and sunk some historical convoy?...Anyone? Anyone?...That's what I thought!

Some game are labeled historical, and it just feels goods for the guys getting together and playing it, but that's about it . Even board games are not history.
All the games, sims, etc...are as valuable as the color illustrations in a history book.
Want to see some history reenacted?...Drop you computer games that allows to take yourself too seriously and go to Antietam. That's as close as you will get to history reenacted. You can even smell it!...

So the complaining lines about history and computer games are way too much. It translates into, "I am getting old, and my thoughts are not as flexible as they used to be 20 years ago, and today fast adaptable thinking games bore me.", but don't take history hostage. We change, and as we do our tastes change.

That being of the way, WOW is interesting. It is educational, in the sense that a lot of you red about PTboats, DD's, naval engagements, etc...And a lot of you could write a nice paper about naval tactics, historical naval chaos, but could you apply your knowledge to a present situation, in order to influence an aero-naval engagement of 30 ships, without submarines and plenty of torpedoes?...

Computerized Naval confrontations against a human opponent in a control environment are not history, but they can make you realize what Admiral, Pasha, Captain, etc, really meant in his memoirs or in some historical quote about a confrontation, or an historical naval incident.

WOW is actually so interesting at some level, that you can apply some aspects of Maneuver warfare, and win the engagement as long as the majority of your team understood what you meant and followed short, clear concise instructions. WWI tactics might be used a lot and that is good to understand how Naval engagement used to develop. There is no planning in WOW confrontations, but humans are in control, and that might illustrate an aspect of what some young Captains full of theory and concepts might have encounters at the time of their first real engagement, and unlike you, they did not have the possibility of quitting and shrugging shoulders.

So, yes, not for the pre-chewed baby food you can dig from that game or for the scale down distances and other parameters, but for the tactical naval aspects that you can apply and transform into tangible results playing WOW, it has a nice way to be a color illustration of some Naval historical theories.

Common sense prevails, not snobbism!

Post Scriptum: WOW is not WOT or WOWarplanes!

Last edited by biosthetique; 11-01-15 at 08:52 AM.
biosthetique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-15, 10:29 AM   #18
XabbaRus
Navy Seal

Downloads: 5

I got this and I'm having a blast. It's perfect for dipping in and out of.
Prefer it to World of Tanks, and way better than World of Warplanes.

If anyone is interested I want to set up a SubSim division.
Old 11-21-15, 12:19 PM   #19
Mud
Captain

Downloads: 50

Only play this since a few days but it's good fun.
Focusing on DD's for now, gotta love those little bastards
Old 11-21-15, 02:57 PM   #20
XabbaRus
Navy Seal

Downloads: 5

I got the free gold Elite Diana which is good.

I'm concentrating on upgrading my Russian and German ships.

Love the torpedoes, no one really does coop tactics, more a free for all.

I tend to hang back a bit, and try to gain position rather than go charging in.

So is anyone interested in a Subsim divison?
Old 02-13-16, 04:15 AM   #21
Leemon
Watch

Downloads: 47

Old topic, but i guess newest one about WoWs.

Playing for long time, so far enjoying it. Each class and also nation requires different tactics, approaches to succeed.
Compared to WOT, here is no premium ammo and armor matters, and I love Battleship fights or cruiser vs cruisers, where armor angling and AP aiming matters a lot.

Some don't like Historically inaccurate or unrealistic.
To remind You, War Gaming alway stated: Gameplay>Historical accuracy/realism
If it was simulation, everyone would just keep using Yamato or carriers to win, but they want keep it balanced and same competitive no matter of ship class.

It is arcade, always gonna be, but what I like about it - its much slower gameplay and requiring more planing ahead, thinking true tactics, than other arcade games with fast reactions, button click and aim. I hate first person shooters, WoWs is opposite to that - smart playing is above fast one.

To add, tactical diversity, some ship are quite situational, but there is also some universal, for eg IJN cruisers, I love it to have such freedom, than just sticking to 1 op move.

And teamplay. Its a awsome when You have group of different classes coordinating and each covering there role for succes. I keep trying different team tactics with coordinating different ship classes, its slow but I with teammates getting there.

Conclusion, its not "serious" as most of people used here, but its simple, fun and have big sea battles effects, and You have chance to make it more serious with tactics.
Leemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-16, 09:23 PM   #22
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

They have a premium USS Texas model you can buy. Great model, lots o' fun.

oh-ficial video:

Last edited by nikimcbee; 05-20-16 at 10:28 PM.
nikimcbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-16, 10:28 PM   #23
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Still playing it from time to time.
Just got my Admiral Hipster the other day and am excited about it getting its Atlantic bow soon. Also, 7k more XP and the Nagato is finally mine, maybe one of my favorite Battleships overall.

Torpitz is fun too. The spread on the guns is BS, but it just loves to laugh about fighting 2-3 enemies at once... well, as long as they don't use HE ammo and light you up like a birthday cake.

Next big goal is the Iowa. It's not even (that) good in this game but damn I can't resist these curves!

After that, Akagi - when she finally gets out.

Mhhh... Akagi-Sen~poi!

Old 05-20-16, 10:30 PM   #24
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Old 05-26-16, 02:56 PM   #25
alexau
Nub

Downloads: 0
Default World of Warships

Announced today. Were pleased to announce the Russian destroyer branch will be joining the World of Warships armada starting October 19, alongside the previously announced German cruisers. The Russians hard-hitting cannons and great accuracy render even the fastest and most evasive targets sinkable. Strong anti-aircraft armament and rapid turret rotation make these new vessels excellent candidates for precision attack runs. Were looking forward to letting players command this line of Soviet destroyers, says Daniil Volkov, World of Warships Development Director. "These additions will open up some distinct vessels for commanders to discover and leverage in combat. As we approach release of this highly desirable line of ships, well share more information. For now, take a look through your spyglass at the video above and the gallery below
alexau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-16, 06:20 AM   #26
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexau View Post
Announced today. Were pleased to announce the Russian destroyer branch will be joining the World of Warships armada starting October 19, alongside the previously announced German cruisers. The Russians hard-hitting cannons and great accuracy render even the fastest and most evasive targets sinkable. Strong anti-aircraft armament and rapid turret rotation make these new vessels excellent candidates for precision attack runs. Were looking forward to letting players command this line of Soviet destroyers, says Daniil Volkov, World of Warships Development Director. "These additions will open up some distinct vessels for commanders to discover and leverage in combat. As we approach release of this highly desirable line of ships, well share more information. For now, take a look through your spyglass at the video above and the gallery below
That's not exactly... news.
Old 07-11-16, 12:51 PM   #27
biosthetique
Lieutenant

Downloads: 652

I am having a blast with Rank battles which are somewhat more tactical than the Random battles.

I go by Gunnyhighway1 in that game and I am rank 10.

If you want me to join your division, let me know you are from subsim, otherwise I won't join!

Last edited by biosthetique; 07-11-16 at 06:07 PM.
biosthetique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-17, 07:16 AM   #28
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Bumped for roster refreshes. If you are a WoWer and you want to list your handle, post here.
Old 02-13-17, 07:37 AM   #29
Delanski
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 116

Gotten back in WoW recently. Aiming to get the Cleveland crusier.
Add me; Safari_Dumpsta

Edit: Welp, I'm on the Asia servers, soooo I doubt I'll be teaming up anyone
Delanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-17, 07:55 AM   #30
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8

Got a tier 9 german BB.