SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-10-11, 11:28 AM   #61
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
I need tools to do this, I need tools to do that....that is pure and simple laziness and making excuses.
Not really Mate.
Even you use Pack3D to import the 3D models and by your own statements, have written some tools of your own.

I do agree some people are a bit lacking in the will to take time to properly learn a few things before demanding answers to thier questions.
But that's just a part of the Modding scene.

As for which is the 'Better' platform?
I think that's personal choice on each users part.

If this was a forum about Beer/Cars?
You'd see the same arguements going on as to what beer/car is the better beer/car!

SO, I like all 3 SH Versions for different reasons.
I drink Keystone Light cause I like it best just now.
And I drive a Dodge but prefer the Wifes Grand Prix cause I prefer Pontiacs.

Oh, I'm also a Viking's fan.
Not those panty waste Football players!
The REAL Vikings with horns and great big battle axes!
Old 09-10-11, 11:29 AM   #62
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Well Anvart at least here in Spain (And in Germany & the USA AFAIK) engineer is an universitary study of at least 5 years (Normally with one additional year for a project) and not simply a category of labour. Of course you can study in the university, get the title, and later however not work as engineer, but the opposite is not possible.

Quote:
I drink Keystone Light cause I like it best just now.
And I drive a Dodge but prefer the Wifes Grand Prix cause I prefer Pontiacs.
Nonesense Jeff, everybody knows Budweiser and Ford respectively are much better
Old 09-10-11, 11:40 AM   #63
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by privateer View Post
Not really Mate.
Even you use Pack3D to import the 3D models and by your own statements, have written some tools of your own.
You are correct there But here's the difference: instead of waiting around for someone else to do it I took matters into my own hands and made what needed to be made to do what I wanted done. Now creating these tools was not easy. It took me months, sometimes years, to make them and I had to do a lot of reading and studying up on DirectX, C++, and had to learn C# and Python. End result is I have a much better understanding of how things work under the hood of the game.
More people need to do a little learning of their own. Yes it takes time and yes it interferes with your hobbies and all but there's no excuse to not try and learn something new every day. The mind is a terrible thing to waste.

@ Anvart - yes I have an insatiable thirst for knowledge. My curiosity drives me to seek out and learn new things. I utterly hate not knowing how/why something works. I will take something apart (software, hardware, whatever) just to see the hows and whys of it. Engineer is a broad term, yes, but if you must know I'm a Nuclear engineer and an Electrical engineer by background currently working in the electrical field.
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-11, 11:55 AM   #64
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
Nonesense Jeff, everybody knows Budweiser and Ford respectively are much better
So what's your stance on Vikings?

Old 09-10-11, 11:59 AM   #65
Anvart
Admiral

Downloads: 122
Uploads: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
Well Anvart at least here in Spain (And in Germany & the USA AFAIK) engineer is an universitary study of at least 5 years ...

I see you did not understand me ...
One word ENGINEER does not define a profession ... need to add word for specialization (such as programmer, designer of electronic equipment and so on). This word defines the scope and range of knowledge that is necessary to obtain ...
In our technical university, students also learn to 5 years + degree work.

Moses said: "Don't create yourself an idol"...
Anvart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-11, 12:03 PM   #66
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Ah now I see, yes we have industrial engineers, road engineers, naval engineers, aerospacial engineers, and so on
Old 09-10-11, 12:06 PM   #67
Anvart
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
@ Anvart - yes I have an insatiable thirst for knowledge. My curiosity drives me to seek out and learn new things. I utterly hate not knowing how/why something works. I will take something apart (software, hardware, whatever) just to see the hows and whys of it. Engineer is a broad term, yes, but if you must know I'm a Nuclear engineer and an Electrical engineer by background currently working in the electrical field.

Our man!

P.S. I'm ... it does not matter...

Last edited by Anvart; 09-11-11 at 02:54 AM.
Old 09-10-11, 12:22 PM   #68
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

It's pretty much been proven to me that what you were trained in means little when it comes to Modding any Game.

So 'such and such' is a Theoretical Quantum Physicist with advanced degrees, or has a BA in Business Administration.
Maybe he's just a common HS grad.
He may still in HS!!

Most Modders are Hobby Modders.
It's what we do to get away from REAL Life.

For me?
Modding involves my mind as I crawl under a House with 8 inches of space.
At times I must blow all the air out of my lungs to get to where I need to go the space is so tight!

I've seen people panic in such situations and become trapped or worse.
As I crawl areas like this?
I'm thinking of what I need to do with my Modding Hobby.

Maybe SH Modding is why I get paid the big bucks to go places where no one else will go?
Old 09-10-11, 12:37 PM   #69
Anvart
Admiral

I could never devote a lot of time for SH modding... Life is beautiful and amazing and without SH modding...

Old 09-10-11, 02:22 PM   #70
Hans Witteman
Kaleun of U-3

Downloads: 123
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by privateer View Post
It's pretty much been proven to me that what you were trained in means little when it comes to Modding any Game.

So 'such and such' is a Theoretical Quantum Physicist with advanced degrees, or has a BA in Business Administration.
Maybe he's just a common HS grad.
He may still in HS!!

Most Modders are Hobby Modders.
It's what we do to get away from REAL Life.

For me?
Modding involves my mind as I crawl under a House with 8 inches of space.
At times I must blow all the air out of my lungs to get to where I need to go the space is so tight!

I've seen people panic in such situations and become trapped or worse.
As I crawl areas like this?
I'm thinking of what I need to do with my Modding Hobby.

Maybe SH Modding is why I get paid the big bucks to go places where no one else will go?
Hi mate,

IIRC the best modder in Forgotten hope was a janitor!
Sh4 forum is really a strange one people are talking about their degree and profession!

Neal if you read this make a new section call Profession and title!

Back to what that forum is meant to be, last night i did some test and is it just me but something feel very wrong with the physic of the boat in the water i mean i don't have the feeling that the boat is actually in the water.

Compare to sh3 i feel that my boat is really in the water maybe just some tweaking in the .sim file.

For the wiggling of the water i try real environment from kriller and they seem to have fix that annoying behavior.

The strong point that i find very disappointing at the moment is the way the crew is manage and the boat upgrade system that is done automatically i truly hate that.

I want my SH3 crew back on this one + my sub upgrade menu and this might be impossible because the way they drastically change the crew management and upgrade of boat.

It feel empty without it at least for me maybe some like it this way but personally i prefer the sh3 management.

Also the interface is simply ugly and doesn't feel that the story is in the 1940 period.

Since i am currently working on a new damage model for HAHD SH3 i really find the new damage model on Sh4 pretty bad looking they call it 3d but there is nothing 3d there this is just and alpha mask instead of a black splotch that let you see the interior and since the hull area touch have no thickness to it it feel very odd but that no big deal we can just revert this to my new damage model.

Best regards Hans

Hans Witteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-11, 03:30 PM   #71
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Witteman View Post
The strong point that i find very disappointing at the moment is the way the crew is manage and the boat upgrade system that is done automatically i truly hate that.

I want my SH3 crew back on this one + my sub upgrade menu and this might be impossible because the way they drastically change the crew management and upgrade of boat.
I find that interesting, since the crew management is, in my opinion, one of the best things about SH4. No, you don't get a picture of the sub and its interior, but the crew works in realistic shifts. How do you handle management in SH3? Do you move them around every few hours or just turn it off?
Old 09-10-11, 03:41 PM   #72
Hans Witteman
Kaleun of U-3

Downloads: 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
I find that interesting, since the crew management is, in my opinion, one of the best things about SH4. No, you don't get a picture of the sub and its interior, but the crew works in realistic shifts. How do you handle management in SH3? Do you move them around every few hours or just turn it off?
Hi mate,

I know not everyone like micro management but i am a die hard fan of that.
I really like to motherhood my crew and moving them when required and sometime it brought up some pretty stressful moment when attacking a convoy ex: there is not enough crew to manage the battery compartment kaleun and then the stress crank up a bit.

Some might hate it but i love it.

And i prefer to have my crew icons with according orders under their respective duty it feel more like i have a real crew then icon with colorful state.

Probably impossible to turn it back to the SH3 style and this might be a point that could refrain my enthusiasm to port it over.

Best regards Hans

Hans Witteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-11, 03:44 PM   #73
Anvart
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Witteman View Post
Sh4 forum is really a strange one people are talking about their degree and profession!
Back to what that forum is meant to be,...
... everything you write is not news for us, and already almost forgotten things. Continue to analyze.
Sorry...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
Compare to sh3 i feel that my boat is really in the water maybe just some tweaking in the .sim file.
1) Adjust waves...
2) Adjust mass of u-boat (even if it's not historical value) and phisics in *.sim.

Last edited by Anvart; 09-10-11 at 03:56 PM.
Old 09-10-11, 03:45 PM   #74
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

I agree with Steve, I always hated playing UBoat nurse, hence I have always played with fatigue set to zero.

Quote:
Back to what that forum is meant to be, last night i did some test and is it just me but something feel very wrong with the physic of the boat in the water i mean i don't have the feeling that the boat is actually in the water.

Was a well known issue from the stock version, make a search for "sub on rails". It was more or less fixed later on by modders.
Old 09-10-11, 06:30 PM   #75
Wolfstriked
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 230

I am a 7th grade dropoutI drive a truck for Fedex also....

Trust me its hard when you have no education and just wing stuff.Then again Apple computers was started by a high school dropout in his garage and is now top dog in every place I deliver to.I deliver Apple PC's all day long.

To mod in water physics its all in the scene.dat and the individual sub.sim file.
Wolfstriked is offline   Reply With Quote