SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-18-12, 01:13 PM   #1
subboy
Nub

Downloads: 136
Uploads: 0
Problem with Mouse

Hi, anyone have any idea how to solve this one? I'm running GWX 3 with the high res fix and a screen res of 1920x1080 which is all weell and good until I use the periscope. When I move it with the mouse instead of the keys, I unclick and my mouse position always ends up over the fire torpedo button, so I end up shooting when i don't want to. i've tried it on a lower resolution and it doesn't happen but I want to run it on native res for my monitor. Does anyone know where I can find the setting in the game (if it exists) to change the position where the mouse unclicks so I can happily use the periscope without firing off all my torps?
subboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-12, 02:02 PM   #2
GT182
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 658

Shoot the mouse!

Try updating drivers for your mouse. I was having a problem with my Logitech Performance MX mouse. Updated the drivers and went into the mouse and keyboard setting to get it all straightened out for it and my K800 keyboard. Both were doing some wacky crap and I couldn't play any games properly.

No Borders, No Language, No Culture =s No Country

I'm a Deplorable, and proud of it.
GT182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-12, 03:46 PM   #3
subboy
Nub

Thanks for the reply, I forgot to mention that I've tried a different mouse and it's the same. I also play SH4 and when you click the screen and unclick, the cursor appears in the centre of the screen. the problem is in the confiuration of the game. there must be a setting somewhere that can change what part of the screen the cursor re-appears after clicking. try it yourself, you'll see that the cursor re-appears in the same spot every time.
Old 05-18-12, 08:51 PM   #4
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Downloads: 81

Get a cat.

Don't use the mouse.

Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-12, 12:02 AM   #5
benitorios
Sailor man

Downloads: 53

Welcome to Subsim subboy!!

Rest assured, the issue is not with your mouse, but it's actually a glitch associated with running widescreen mods. When you click the mouse after moving around in periscope view, the cursor always reappears on top of the Fire button and causes the torp to launch immediately.

3 possible solutions:
- either you try another resolution - under some resolutions, the mouse cursor will not appear on top of the Fire button and nothing bad will happen. I read (but never tried) that 1600x900 doesn't have this issue
- you try a super mod (OLC, MaGui, Hitman Optics, etc.) that will not have the Fire button in the same place on the screen, thereby removing the problem
- if you need to stick with your chosen resolution and mod, the last resort is to de-activate the on-screen Fire button by following the instructions in this post: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...82&postcount=6
This will disable the button altogether, leaving the Enter key (or Ctrl+Enter if you're using GWX) the only means to launch a torpedo.

Tell us how that works for you.

- benitorios

Last edited by benitorios; 05-19-12 at 12:14 AM.
benitorios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-12, 04:03 AM   #6
subboy
Nub

Thanks for the help, I'll try a couple of different ideas and see how I go.
Old 05-19-12, 12:33 PM   #7
GT182
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 658

Ben, I've been having mouse problem with all my sims.... not just SH3 and 5. I have to go into the Logitech control panel and fiddle with settings every so often to get it working right. I'm starting to think my mouse is full of $hit. LOL

No Borders, No Language, No Culture =s No Country

I'm a Deplorable, and proud of it.
GT182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-12, 12:40 PM   #8
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

Downloads: 548

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargamel View Post
Get a cat.

Don't use the mouse.

Marie Curie

Gerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-12, 05:05 AM   #9
benitorios
Sailor man

Downloads: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
Ben, I've been having mouse problem with all my sims.... not just SH3 and 5. I have to go into the Logitech control panel and fiddle with settings every so often to get it working right. I'm starting to think my mouse is full of $hit. LOL
hi GT

I'm using a Logitech mouse myself, but I've deliberately disabled all the special button features on it when playing SH3, as I find they don't help that much and the GUI I'm using covers all my one-click needs.
SH3 doesn't seem to play nice with other things, like my sound card - sometimes the sound just refuses to come out of the headphones, and I have to exit and reload in order to get it right. So... rather than multiple hardware culprits, I'd be inclined to point fingers at the software

All that being said, issues are rare.
benitorios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-24, 10:02 PM   #10
Deltanyne
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by benitorios View Post
- if you need to stick with your chosen resolution and mod, the last resort is to de-activate the on-screen Fire button by following the instructions in this post: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...82&postcount=6
This will disable the button altogether, leaving the Enter key (or Ctrl+Enter if you're using GWX) the only means to launch a torpedo.

Tell us how that works for you.

- benitorios

Just chiming in to say this method worked best for me. Had exactly the same issue as OP and now the fire button is disabled in periscope mode. I can press Enter to fire a torpedo, which for me is great!
Thank you @benitorios
Deltanyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-24, 10:14 PM   #11
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

Deltanyne!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote