SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-10-10, 06:46 PM   #1
jerm138
Watch Officer

Downloads: 35
Uploads: 0
Default Can't update through Steam

I bought SH3 and SH4 through Steam. The version of SH4 you get is 1.3, and they don't offer the 1.4 patch. The regular 1.4 patch doesn't work because the game is installed in the Steam folder instead of the default folder, so the updater thinks you don't have the game and won't let you install it.

Frustrated, I contacted Steam support a few weeks ago to ask why I can't get the latest patch (which is over a year old!) for a game I purchased.

I just got this reply today:

Quote:
Hello,

A staff member has replied to your question:

Thank you for contacting Steam Support. Patches for third party games can only be distributed through Steam once the following two actions have occured: (1) The Publisher has provided us with the necessary files (2) The Publisher has given us permission to release the update The latest patches will be released as soon as possible, and will be downloaded automatically when available. If you have questions about the availability of a specific patch, please contact the support department for the game in question. Your patience is appreciated, please let us know if you have any other questions.
So, what I take from this is that:
1) UBI never supplied Steam with the 1.4 patch
2) UBI designed the official 1.4 patch to not work with the Steam-purchased game.

I ended up buying U-Boat missions because that is the only way for me to update past 1.3. (yeah... I know... giving into The Man...)

Does anyone at UBI know about this? It seems pretty lame to allow Steam to sell your game, but not give them year-old updates for the customers.
Old 01-10-10, 08:12 PM   #2
Task Force
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 85

thats steam for ya, I wouldnt really advise getting a game that is avable without steam with steam.
Old 01-10-10, 10:04 PM   #3
jerm138
Watch Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Task Force View Post
thats steam for ya, I wouldnt really advise getting a game that is avable without steam with steam.
It sounds to me like it's not Steam's fault.

Steam can't give us updates if UBI doesn't provide them.
If UBI signed a deal to have Steam sell their product, they should support that product the same as they support the one purchased in a retail store.
Old 01-10-10, 10:07 PM   #4
HMCS
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 186

Steam is of the Devil. Cut your losses while you can.

Mods Loaded:TMO 2.2, RSRDC, MaxOptics, Strategic Map Symbols, Stop The Shouting
OR:
RFB, RSRDC, Maxoptics, SCAF, Strategic Map Symbols and the sanity-saving "stop the shouting".
HMCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-10, 11:58 PM   #5
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 16

Another reason I won't use Steam is I like a CD/DVD at my disposal at my convenience. I may install and uninstall a game over the course of time, but will keep any patches for that game on my hard drive. Thus negating the need for the internet should it be down.

USS Kentucky SSBN 737 (G)
Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Yes I was really on a submarine.
ETR3(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-10, 05:37 AM   #6
KlassenT
Mate

Downloads: 21

Strange, I never noticed this myself... In any case, the core files are all the same, and if I'd caught you sooner I'd have volunteered a bit of help; at any rate, though, if someone else is battling this issue, let me know and I can do a bit of testing to see if some registry tinkering can trick the patch into applying itself onto digital versions.

At the end of the day, though, I'd still recommend grabbing UBM above trying a half-arsed fix like I propose, because it did genuinely fix a lot of problems my father was having with a boxed retail copy on v1.4. (Since I got my Steam copy in their SH Bundle, I never bothered trying it without UBM installed for that very reason.)
KlassenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-10, 02:02 PM   #7
Col. Caldwell
Gunner

Downloads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETR3(SS) View Post
Another reason I won't use Steam is I like a CD/DVD at my disposal at my convenience. I may install and uninstall a game over the course of time, but will keep any patches for that game on my hard drive. Thus negating the need for the internet should it be down.
True. I tend to look for games on CD/DVD before considering digital downloads. As for Steam, some games on CD/DVD force you to use Steam while playing, like COD: Modern Warfare 2.

Craig Ferguson: "Shouldn't they be hunting Godzilla? A whale isn't going to destroy Tokyo; Godzilla is!"
Col. Caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-10, 02:52 PM   #8
DarkFish
Sea Lord

Downloads: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col. Caldwell View Post
True. I tend to look for games on CD/DVD before considering digital downloads. As for Steam, some games on CD/DVD force you to use Steam while playing, like COD: Modern Warfare 2.
yeah but still, MW2 is ONLY available on steam so all updates get released through steam as well, and besides i can still uninstall and install it at will.

DarkFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-10, 03:06 PM   #9
Col. Caldwell
Gunner

Downloads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFish View Post
yeah but still, MW2 is ONLY available on steam so all updates get released through steam as well
I don't know about you but my MW2 came on a DVD and I purchased it in a electronics store, not on the Internet. The updates, however, would only be available on Steam.

Craig Ferguson: "Shouldn't they be hunting Godzilla? A whale isn't going to destroy Tokyo; Godzilla is!"
Col. Caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-10, 04:44 PM   #10
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerm138 View Post
It sounds to me like it's not Steam's fault.

Steam can't give us updates if UBI doesn't provide them.
If UBI signed a deal to have Steam sell their product, they should support that product the same as they support the one purchased in a retail store.

ubi has had the 1.4 update posted for public download like forever so steam being too lazy to use it is not ubi's fault

try this, first make a complete copy of your steam folder and save it somewhere.

if you are using windows xp open the programs files directory and create a folder named Ubisoft then from your steam folder move the "Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific" folder into the ubisoft folder you created.

if you are using vista or windows 7 then wherever you install your games to, create a folder named "Ubisoft" then from your steam folder move the "Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific" folder into the ubisoft folder you created.

right click on the sh4 exe file and click "send to desktop create a new shortcut"

run the game from its new shortcut to make sure the pathways all work correctly.

now your game is installed normally as if it werent a steam version so get your v1.4 ubisoft update from ubisofts website and it will work.

you can now reverse the steps and put it back in the steam folder if you wish but you should make a backup copy of the patched game to avoid going through all this again

Last edited by Webster; 01-11-10 at 05:02 PM.
Old 01-11-10, 05:03 PM   #11
DarkFish
Sea Lord

Downloads: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col. Caldwell View Post
I don't know about you but my MW2 came on a DVD and I purchased it in a electronics store, not on the Internet. The updates, however, would only be available on Steam.
yeah, that's what I mean. I've got MW2 on DVD too, what I meant to say was that even though MW2 is on DVD, there's only a steam version available, without steam you can't play it.

DarkFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-10, 06:57 PM   #12
jerm138
Watch Officer

Quote:
ubi has had the 1.4 update posted for public download like forever so steam being too lazy to use it is not ubi's fault
The 1.4 update that is out there will not work with the Steam installation (without the major workaround you mentioned), therefore Steam can't distribute it. When UBI agreed to sell the product on Steam, they should have provided a new 1.4 installer to go with it.

Therefore, I still believe that UBI dropped the ball on this, not Steam.

I do appreciate your help in explaining how to get the update to work. That may help some other poor sap reading this thread. As I said, I bought U-Boat missions, so it's not an issue with me anymore. I was just trying to figure out where the communication breakdown happened between UBI's Devs, and Steam.

I'm definitely no Steam fanboy. And I would have bought it on CD had I gone out looking for it. I just happened to be browsing Steam about a month ago and saw SH3 on sale for $5. I had never played a subsim before, but having served on a real one, I was curious so I said "what the hell... it's just $5... let's give it a go."
Old 01-11-10, 10:20 PM   #13
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 16

Quote:
I had never played a subsim before, but having served on a real one, I was curious so I said "what the hell... it's just $5... let's give it a go."
Admit it you're a diggit!

USS Kentucky SSBN 737 (G)
Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Yes I was really on a submarine.
ETR3(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-10, 11:04 PM   #14
jerm138
Watch Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETR3(SS) View Post
Admit it you're a diggit!
why else would I be here?

... and you?
Old 01-12-10, 01:20 AM   #15
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
The 1.4 update that is out there will not work with the Steam installation (without the major workaround you mentioned), therefore Steam can't distribute it. When UBI agreed to sell the product on Steam, they should have provided a new 1.4 installer to go with it.

Therefore, I still believe that UBI dropped the ball on this, not Steam.

so you just created this thread to blame ubisoft for not doing steams job for them?

you can believe what you want but ubisoft did not create a special game for steam, steam took sh4 and created a new installer to put it in a custom steam folder so steam can keep full control over it and auto update it as they see fit and THEY (steam) chose not to update it to 1.4

ubi doesnt create "special" update patches just for steam, they just release the update patches for the game and its up to steam to create a custom installer to make them work with the steam version of the game because steam is the one who wants to put the game someplace special

because steam decided they didnt want to create a new download for the last patch is the reason one doesnt exist and blaming ubisoft might make you feel better because you gave your money to steam but steam didnt fullfill their obligation to update the game NOT ubisoft.

most likely steam did this on purpose to get you to buy 1.5 since you cant get 1.4 from steam because that is steams choice to deny it to you.

i have no axe to grind and im not pro ubisoft or anti steam but im just saying the truth here and lets blame the one who deserves the blame.