SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-16-10, 05:02 AM   #346
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Quote:
I think any mod here contains [changed] UBI files...
True, I should have said it more precisely: Files that are EXEs or APIs (DLLs), i.e. part of the core program and not peripheral accesories to that (Graphics, Sounds, Defitions of sensors capabilities, 3D models etc)

Thanks for pointing that out
Old 10-16-10, 05:59 AM   #347
h.sie
Admiral

Downloads: 131
Uploads: 0

I think we should be thankful that Hitman tolerates this sort of modding.

Not necessary to upload the sh3.exe. Everyone who really wants my fixes should be willing to spend about 5 minutes time to do the patching - or eventually spend some bucks to buy the starforce-free sh3 version. For comparison: Because I wanted the longer repair times so much, I spent months to fix that. 5 minutes for simple patching are nothing compared to that.

Last edited by h.sie; 10-16-10 at 06:39 AM.
h.sie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-10, 06:09 AM   #348
SquareSteelBar
Sea Lord

Downloads: 618

SquareSteelBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-10, 08:41 AM   #349
Gammel
Commodore

Downloads: 276

your work has already pushed the sales h.sie - i'm waiting for my green pepper edition to arrive.
Please carry on with modding and please have a look at the snorkeling speed
Gammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-10, 11:17 AM   #350
reaper7
sim2reality

Downloads: 258
Uploads: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.sie View Post
I think we should be thankful that Hitman tolerates this sort of modding.

Not necessary to upload the sh3.exe. Everyone who really wants my fixes should be willing to spend about 5 minutes time to do the patching - or eventually spend some bucks to buy the starforce-free sh3 version. For comparison: Because I wanted the longer repair times so much, I spent months to fix that. 5 minutes for simple patching are nothing compared to that.
Well, ubi just got another sale of SH3 from me due to your wok h.sie.

So your patches are good for business.
reaper7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-10, 11:26 AM   #351
Philipp_Thomsen
Old Gang

Downloads: 146

This starforce-free version of sh3 requires the dvd on the drive to play?

If so, its a no-no for me (and a lot of other people here).
Old 10-16-10, 12:19 PM   #352
h.sie
Admiral

no, the starforce-free version doesn't require the CD to run
Old 10-16-10, 12:31 PM   #353
Hartmann
Sea Lord

Downloads: 204

This is the final revenge of starforce

Forced to buy again the same Game to have a starforce free version

She is made of iron, sir. I assure you, she can. and she will. It is a mathematical certainty.

Strength and honor
Hartmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-10, 12:54 PM   #354
makman94
Hellas

Downloads: 182
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
True, I should have said it more precisely: Files that are EXEs or APIs (DLLs), i.e. part of the core program and not peripheral accesories to that (Graphics, Sounds, Defitions of sensors capabilities, 3D models etc)

Thanks for pointing that out
and why is that Hitman ? i mean the forum policy for the .exe and .dll ? i always had this question in my mind ...seriously i don't see any reason ...
it is exactly the same with editing images or importing-exporting 3d models,what is the difference ?

to 'run' before you at the reply of this stand , i have read somewhere in forum that the reason is that if moders starts uploading .exe and .dll files then everyone will be able to collect all the necessery files in order to play the game without buying it ... is this the reason ?? if ,indeed, this is the real reason....then we can 'solve' this ''issue'' by setting an agreement on which SPECIFIC .dll or .act files will be untouched and never uploaded(such as the kernel.dll for example) so everyone will have to buy the original game if we wants to play it.

i haven't read any other reason than the above anywhere and as for the ubi...i think that (if ever 'look' down here) will start shaking with happiness both hands in the air becuase its 'dead' sh3 still will sale like a new shiny game !!

now, that i am thinking it ...this will 'kill' their sh5 (or their next sh6 and sh7...i have many reasons to believe that there will be sh6 and sh7 and not becuase they like making 'subsims'...they like ...money... a lot...) so maybe this could be a real reason for having problem with the sh3's .exe

@H.Sie , sorry for being off topic ...will not happen again

Mediafire page:http://www.mediafire.com/folder/da50.../Makman94_Mods
makman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-10, 01:46 PM   #355
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

In many games that are open for modding you can easily distinguish between two types of files, the ones that are the program core, what runs on your processor, and all the other accesory ones. When a game company closes an eye to modding his game, it's the accesory files what are involved, and that is the reason they are not protected but instead "open" and can be easily edited, sometimes even with windows tools (Notepad, paint ...)

The code in turn is protected as it is what constitutes the main effort of the programmer, and as such is encoded in one or the other way. This illustrates the will from the propietary company to prevent any intrussion into it, both to prevent piracy and to prevent other rival companies access to the technology resulting from his (frequently costly) efforts.

We could of course try to go further and make more subtle differences as you suggest, but for simplicity's sake and for the intention of respecting the evident intention of game companies, subsim.com draws an easily recognizable line in those core files, and does not allow any distribution of modified ones here.

Thanks for your understanding guys, we try to make this a serious and enjoyable web for everyone
Old 10-16-10, 03:17 PM   #356
Victor Schutze
Chief

Downloads: 466

I just re-bought SH3 to be able to patch it with V15C-the Revival version as seen here:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...82#post1509482 -

I applied the V15C patch on a fresh install as showed at the beginning of this thread. I created a "working directory" folder on my desktop, put the SH3.exe in it along with the decompressed V15C files.The result:
"Starting checksums verification : date/hour

All files verified successfully..

End..

Making backup SH3.old..

Patching....
'bspatch' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

exit."

I get SH3.old but no SH3.exe in my "working directory" folder.

what is going on?Don't tell me the Revival version is not patchable because it is already sold starforce free AND patched to 1.4b version

Last edited by Victor Schutze; 10-16-10 at 03:28 PM.
Victor Schutze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-10, 03:33 PM   #357
h.sie
Admiral

if the checksum verification is successful, you have surely the correct version. I guess, that it could be a write permission problem or similar related to your operating system. what OS do you have?

and: is there an bspatch.exe file in your working directory?
Old 10-16-10, 03:50 PM   #358
Victor Schutze
Chief

Downloads: 466

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.sie View Post
if the checksum verification is successful, you have surely the correct version. I guess, that it could be a write permission problem or similar related to your operating system. what OS do you have?

and: is there an bspatch.exe file in your working directory?
I run win xp sp3 32bit. can't be a write permission problem: I have administrator rigths. There are four files: Patch_SH3.bat, V15C, fciv.exe, MD5.xml. Is it supposed to leave a new SH3.exe in the directory?

***EDIT*** ooops, It seems I did not have the bspatch.exe in the directory. My mistake. New SH3.exe file is 1.28MB instead of 1.26MB. I should be able to apply 4GB patch now!? Thank you for your help h.sie

Last edited by Victor Schutze; 10-16-10 at 04:02 PM.
Victor Schutze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-10, 03:59 PM   #359
Magic1111
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 783

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Schutze View Post
I run win xp sp3 32bit. can't be a write permission problem: I have administrator rigths. There are four files: Patch_SH3.bat, V15C, fciv.exe, MD5.xml. Is it supposed to leave a new SH3.exe in the directory?
I´ve XP SP3 32bit too, look at my Screenshot, these files must be in one Folder and then run the .bat File and all works fine:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Best regards,
Magic
Old 10-16-10, 04:09 PM   #360
h.sie
Admiral

yup , now you can apply the 4GB patch