SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-11-06, 05:27 PM   #31
Myxale
Admiral

Downloads: 70
Uploads: 0

Once more i learned something!
But cool anyway to be able to see the item listed in the right compartment!:hmm: Or to know how this works!

I just finished a night worth of messing around with one of my SH3 Installs! And i gotta say i have the utmost respect for you modding guru's.
I took the NYGM 2.0 files apart to learn more, and i got humbled buy the sheer numbers of...well numbers! All i want now is to sleep!
Moddin' SH3 ain't a easy thing, huh. May other games make is look easier!

Kudos, to you Guys!

Last edited by Myxale; 06-11-06 at 05:34 PM.
Myxale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-06, 06:39 PM   #32
Der Teddy Bar
Blade Master

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by U-Bones
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCIP
Just to note, the compartment where the part is listed has absolutely NOTHING to do with the location of the item.

The batteries are in the torpedo room only for damage control purposes. Their actual location is still completely where they ought to be!
Understood, that (actual location) is enumerated in zones.cfg
Actually the location & size are specified by the UnitName.zon file and not the zones.cfg.

NYGM can edit any UnitName.zon file and move, resize, delete, add zones for all units in SHIII.

I hope this helps.

Der Teddy Bar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-06, 07:53 PM   #33
U-Bones
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 56

Perhaps I should have said logical location instead of actual...

For example a dc explodes on your nose, the BowTorpedo Damage Zone has proximity and I assume is mapped to the bow compartment in zones.cfg, where bowtorpedotune2 is listed as a child and thus receives a chance for damage. because the tube is listed with the tower in basic.cfg (but still mapped back to the correct entry in zones.cfg, where it is a child of the bow), it is not repairable with the bow, but from the tower when surfaced. This (parent in zones.cfg) is the location I was refering to. For the most part, components stop at zones.cfg, and inherit their proximity to damage locations from their parent compartment in zones.cfg. I know there are obvious exceptions like Batterys and Fuel, in addition to the major compartments.

I know you know all this better than me, but I'm just clarifying what I meant to say - which is correct if taken in the context of what we were discussing. Unless I'm wrong, of course

As always, thanks for your patient explanations.
U-Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-06, 08:56 PM   #34
Der Teddy Bar
Blade Master

Quote:

For example a dc explodes on your nose, the BowTorpedo Damage Zone has proximity and I assume is mapped to the bow compartment in zones.cfg, where bowtorpedotune2 is listed as a child and thus receives a chance for damage. because the tube is listed with the tower in basic.cfg (but still mapped back to the correct entry in zones.cfg, where it is a child of the bow), it is not repairable with the bow, but from the tower when surfaced. This (parent in zones.cfg) is the location I was refering to. For the most part, components stop at zones.cfg, and inherit their proximity to damage locations from their parent compartment in zones.cfg. I know there are obvious exceptions like Batterys and Fuel, in addition to the major compartments.

I know you know all this better than me, but I'm just clarifying what I meant to say - which is correct if taken in the context of what we were discussing. Unless I'm wrong, of course

The possibility of damage is purely worked out on the zones proximity to the depth charge or shell. It is my understanding that the Father/Child relationship only for the repair part of the damage system in SHIII.

The Father/Child values in the zones.cfg also in a lot of instances have some hard coded component elsewhere. So while some Father relationships will be able to be broken most will result in immediate destruction of the item upon loading.

When NYGM re-zoned the u-boat, making the compartment zones more accurate in size and location, we also resized and relocated all the internal damage zones for the, Torpedo tubes, the diesel engines, the electric engines, the pumps, the bold, the sonar, the hydrophone and others.

With the torpedo tubes resized we now have a lot of times where the torpedo compartment will be severly damaged and a torpedo tube will not. Other times the torpedo tube can be destroyed without damage to the torpedo compartment. It is of course possible to have both damaged by the one depth charge.

I hope that I understood your post and that this helps.
Der Teddy Bar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-06, 09:30 PM   #35
U-Bones
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Teddy Bar
Quote:

The possibility of damage is purely worked out on the zones proximity to the depth charge or shell. It is my understanding that the Father/Child relationship only for the repair part of the damage system in SHIII.

The Father/Child values in the zones.cfg also in a lot of instances have some hard coded component elsewhere. So while some Father relationships will be able to be broken most will result in immediate destruction of the item upon loading.

When NYGM re-zoned the u-boat, making the compartment zones more accurate in size and location, we also resized and relocated all the internal damage zones for the, Torpedo tubes, the diesel engines, the electric engines, the pumps, the bold, the sonar, the hydrophone and others.

With the torpedo tubes resized we now have a lot of times where the torpedo compartment will be severly damaged and a torpedo tube will not. Other times the torpedo tube can be destroyed without damage to the torpedo compartment. It is of course possible to have both damaged by the one depth charge.

I hope that I understood your post and that this helps.
You understood that I needed clarification. :rotfl:
Old 06-12-06, 01:49 AM   #36
U-Bones
Grey Wolf

OK here is a suprise. Having the Rudders and Tubes attached to Watch Tower, prevents you repairing them by staffing the watchtower while submerged.

But if they take damage...

The bow and stern will show damage. (even when everything local has been repaired). OK kinda expected.

If you staff the bow and stern well enough... and wait long enough... they solve the problems with the tubes and rudders. If you assign DC crew, it happens faster.

You don't get feedback on the time to repair.... but they do get attention.

Interesting, unexpected, and kinda cool.
Old 06-12-06, 03:28 AM   #37
Totenkopf
Loader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Teddy Bar
I will investigate the effects of the repair qualified personel when in a damaged compartment.
Much obliged for your response and efforts into the matter DTB, thanks for all your hard work!

Torpedos LOS!
Totenkopf is offline   Reply With Quote