SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-08-10, 09:19 PM   #361
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171
Uploads: 0

Wow! coming along very nicely indeed! Doesn't look like a 2 second job either! a definite "labor of love"!

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-10, 04:33 AM   #362
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 114
Uploads: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambecomelife View Post
Yes! I finally got the hull model for a WWI sub in-game (for the Silent Hunter 3 version). Now that I have SH4 reinstalled I hope to import it into that game as well. The game CTD's after I map the textures, but I am sure this can be solved. For now, pictures of the U-66 model (still WIP):

it's coming along nicely !

but you are making it for SHIII or SHIV ? I mean I know you posted pictures of it in SHIII here on the thread, with uniforms and all, but you intend to sport it to SHIV right ?

regards

keltos

keltos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-10, 05:20 AM   #363
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

95% Sure it's SH4.
Quote:
Now that I have SH4 reinstalled I hope to import it into that game as well
But then he did say:
Quote:
I am very flexible regarding the platform - almost everything I want to do can be done in SH3 as well. However, I like the better human figures, terrain, and other features of SH4.
But still sure its SH4
The Campaigns (mis files) are very much different though, that alone is a big job, probably SH3 would be easier but SH4 graphics is nicer, maybe he could post a vote to see how many prefer what engine! Or we just wait to see what evolves.

Last edited by Reece; 07-09-10 at 05:34 AM.
Old 07-09-10, 05:28 AM   #364
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 114
Uploads: 18

Yattaaaaa !!!!!

keltos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-10, 09:14 PM   #365
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

Well, it turns out that SH3 hates the U66 model and has started CTD'ing out of the blue.

However, the good news is that I have restarted the submarine using the Type IX model from SH4. I squeezed in the top of the Type IX hull to give it the old-fashioned saddle-tank look you see on many WWI submarines, including U66.

I am straightening the bow at the moment, which is an extremely simple task. Afterwards I will import the U66 conning tower I created and see how she looks in SH4!

As for platforms, I will probably use SH4 as long as it is possible to modify the coastline and buildings easily. I noticed severe problems with parts of the European coast in stock SH4; in particular, hillsides that disappear into thin air. I hope that these problems have been fixed (or can be fixed with existing mod tools).
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-10, 05:55 AM   #366
Karle94
The Old Man

Downloads: 253

I have found a realy nice 3d model of the Derfflinger. If you`re interested here`s the link:
http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...21&prevstart=0
Karle94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-10, 09:17 PM   #367
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

@ IABL, bit of a shame about U66 having problems with your model in SH3! an annoying waste of time and effort!!
I'm glad that the sh4 IX model seems ok, might have to post a thread in the sh4 forum section there concerning the coastlines, like you say it may have been resolved!

Old 07-16-10, 10:59 AM   #368
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
@ IABL, bit of a shame about U66 having problems with your model in SH3! an annoying waste of time and effort!!
I'm glad that the sh4 IX model seems ok, might have to post a thread in the sh4 forum section there concerning the coastlines, like you say it may have been resolved!
I just found out that the problem with the model was most likely just an error with the available ship types (I had stripped SH3 of all vessels except for the ones that served in WWI - hence, CTD's when the game called for modern ships).

I successfully got the U-35 from "Shells of Fury" to appear; now I hope to try using my own subs. IIRC the SOF team never responded to our request to use their models, so I will only use them as a last resort.

Thanks for the link, Karle94.
Old 08-09-10, 08:08 PM   #369
theschell
Seaman

Downloads: 0

Just wanted to say hello... been a long time... i've been kept busy with comp probs and work on getting my own webstore and site started... i wasn't sure if you were interested or not... but my line of ww1 ships also included a gunnery observation balloon which would have been towed above the ships for shot-fall observation and spotting (aka a "kite balloon")... it's with my other stuff on sharecg... if you would like to make use of it let me know
theschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-10, 02:52 PM   #370
rein1705
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 541

i'd like to try out one of your wwI ships fore sure!

"Diesel Pig"

Not so long ago...
rein1705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-10, 04:24 PM   #371
WWII44
Navy Dude

Downloads: 151

Maybe yo could make a single mission where you can renact the sinking of the Lusitania?
WWII44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-10, 09:17 AM   #372
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Hmm, been awhile IABL, any more news?

Old 09-19-10, 11:47 AM   #373
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

To everyone who is interested, right now I am in more of a research phase, so there is not much interesting to show.

Most importantly, I want to admit that SH4 still is not confirmed to be the platform - especially since I resolved a major issue with SH3's land textures. Initially, only SH4 could support the huge photo-based land textures I wanted to use (SH3 would crash), but I just managed to do it successfully.

Another issue is how badly rendered much of Europe's coast is in SH4 - it was apparently neglected, being a Pacific sim and all. There are whole areas in France etc where mountains are transparent - a very big immersion killer if so much of the action takes place in the Atlantic.

If a decision is made to change platforms you will obviously be notified.

In terms of models, more work has been done on the pre-dreadnought "Majestic", the U-66, and the cruiser "Ariadne". More details later.
Old 09-19-10, 11:55 AM   #374
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWII44 View Post
Maybe yo could make a single mission where you can renact the sinking of the Lusitania?
Yes; this will definitely be a single mission. Off the top of my head, here are the missions I want to include:

-Hersing's attack on "HMS Pathfinder" in 1914

-The sinking of "Aboukir", "Cressy", and "Hogue"

-The "Lusitania" vs U-20

-The attack on "HMS Majestic"

-Otto Weddigen's last battle, when he was rammed by "Dreadnought"

-The sinking of the "Danton"

-UB-116's raid on Scapa Flow (she was sunk without doing any damage, unlike U-47 in 1939)

-An ahistorical mission where the U-Boats take on German battleships in 1918, during the High Seas Fleet mutiny (they did have orders to torpedo them, if necessary, at the time)
Old 09-24-10, 08:11 AM   #375
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambecomelife View Post
To everyone who is interested, right now I am in more of a research phase, so there is not much interesting to show.

Most importantly, I want to admit that SH4 still is not confirmed to be the platform - especially since I resolved a major issue with SH3's land textures. Initially, only SH4 could support the huge photo-based land textures I wanted to use (SH3 would crash), but I just managed to do it successfully.

Another issue is how badly rendered much of Europe's coast is in SH4 - it was apparently neglected, being a Pacific sim and all. There are whole areas in France etc where mountains are transparent - a very big immersion killer if so much of the action takes place in the Atlantic.

If a decision is made to change platforms you will obviously be notified.

In terms of models, more work has been done on the pre-dreadnought "Majestic", the U-66, and the cruiser "Ariadne". More details later.
Out of the 2 sims I would rather SHIII, but either way I would be ecstatic to be able to play a WW1 sim! Haven't given up hope!
Cheers.