SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-26-15, 03:17 AM   #1
Metalogic
Loader

Downloads: 11
Uploads: 0
Living Silent Hunter III + Widescreen Mods?

Hi - newbie to SHIII, just ordered the Revival Starforce-free version.

It sounds like the Living Silent Hunter III Mod is the one I'd like to use, does this come with a wide screen mod, or will I need to download a separate one, if so, which one?

I'd like to play SHIII on both my laptops, one Win7 64 bit running at 1440x900 and one Win 8.1 64 bit running at 1920x1080. Is there a widescreen Mod that would work at both these resolutions and play nice with the Living Silent Hunter III Mod?

My Win7 laptop has a 2Ghz i7 dual core CPU, Intel HD 4000 graphics and 8Gb RAM, my Win 8.1 laptop has a 2.6Ghz Quad Core i7 CPU, Nvidia 970M graphics with 3Gb VRAM and 16Gb RAM - the latter should have no problems running anything, but will SH3 with Mods run okay on the machine with Intel HD 4000 graphics?
Metalogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-15, 03:44 AM   #2
rowi58
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 56

Hi Metalogic,

the new version of LSH3 will have additional widescreen mods within the complete download. So that should not be a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalogic View Post
I'd like to play SHIII on both my laptops, one Win7 64 bit running at 1440x900 and one Win 8.1 64 bit running at 1920x1080. Is there a widescreen Mod that would work at both these resolutions and play nice with the Living Silent Hunter III Mod?
Yes, the embeded widescreen mod will do this. No problem - i hope so (I#m not a fan aof widescreen mods for SH3 ).

Quote:
My Win7 laptop has a 2Ghz i7 dual core CPU, Intel HD 4000 graphics and 8Gb RAM, ... but will SH3 with Mods run okay on the machine with Intel HD 4000 graphics?
No, forget it. Even Stock SH3 needs an "external" graphic card - or you are missing someting like waterreflections, antialising and so on. You can run SH3 with mods on board - but it is no fun.

Quote:
my Win 8.1 laptop has a 2.6Ghz Quad Core i7 CPU, Nvidia 970M graphics with 3Gb VRAM and 16Gb RAM - the latter should have no problems running anything,
That's right. With this configuration of your PC you won't have any problems. This equipment is more than enough.

Greetings
rowi58
Old 02-26-15, 04:42 AM   #3
Metalogic
Loader

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowi58 View Post
Hi Metalogic,

the new version of LSH3 will have additional widescreen mods within the complete download. So that should not be a problem.

Yes, the embeded widescreen mod will do this. No problem - i hope so (I#m not a fan aof widescreen mods for SH3 ).
Okay, great. What don't you like about widescreen mods e.g. do they make the UI look odd? I don't actually mind black bars on the sides, as long as I can run the game at a high resolution, though.

Quote:
No, forget it. Even Stock SH3 needs an "external" graphic card - or you are missing someting like waterreflections, antialising and so on. You can run SH3 with mods on board - but it is no fun.
Okay, no worries, it's just that my 15.6" gaming laptop is not the most portable (the other one is a 13" ultrabook thing), but I guess I'd mostly be playing this at home anyway.

Quote:
That's right. With this configuration of your PC you won't have any problems. This equipment is more than enough.
Great, thanks for your help
Old 02-26-15, 05:00 AM   #4
rowi58
Eternal Patrol

Hi Metalogic,

i have a Toshiba Nooebook 17.4 inch in 16:9 format with full HD and with the very old ResolutionFix SH3 looks the best (better than with any other "widescreen" mod).

Greetings
rowi58
Old 02-26-15, 05:59 AM   #5
Metalogic
Loader

Quote:
Hi Metalogic,

i have a Toshiba Nooebook 17.4 inch in 16:9 format with full HD and with the very old ResolutionFix SH3 looks the best (better than with any other "widescreen" mod).
Okay, thanks. Should ResolutionFix work okay with Living SH3? Do you include this with your own Mod?
Old 02-26-15, 07:37 AM   #6
rowi58
Eternal Patrol

Hi Metalogic,

the "ResolutionFix" works fine with all and everything (mods for SH3). I'm using the "ResolutionFix" with 1920x1080 pixel on my notebook. But - on desktop computers with external monitors the instruments are a bit "oval". That's not a problem with modern 16:9 notebooks (thanks God, i'm using a Toshiba ).

Greetings
rowi58
Old 02-26-15, 07:46 AM   #7
Metalogic
Loader

Quote:
Hi Metalogic,

the "ResolutionFix" works fine with all and everything (mods for SH3). I'm using the "ResolutionFix" with 1920x1080 pixel on my notebook. But - on desktop computers with external monitors the instruments are a bit "oval". That's not a problem with modern 16:9 notebooks (thanks God, i'm using a Toshiba ).
Great, I'll be using this beast: http://www.xmg.gg/p505/index_UK.html

1080p screen, not 4K, though...

Last edited by Metalogic; 02-26-15 at 08:09 AM.