SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Submarine Scale Models: Subs, Naval, Tanks, Planes, Trains, Space & Other
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-29-08, 08:20 AM   #1
dougie47
Swabbie

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default AMP - U-Boat draft number & snorting bull decals

Hello everyone,

We'd like to let you know that a new range of decals are available for U-boat models. The first set depicts the white draft numbers that were present on all Type VII U-boats (three sets were present on either side of the hull). This is our second production run of the draft numbers decals. Our first run was created for our U-Brass PE set but these unfortunately ran out. A number of fellow modellers asked us to produce more, which we have done in a second production run. The draft numbers are available in 144th and 72nd scales under our new name Accurate Model Parts (AMP).

Also available is our range of snorting bull decals. The snorting bull emblem was used extensively on Type VIIs. More details of the bull emblem can be found on our downloadable pdf article at the website address below. We have created 6 sizes of snorting bull decals - a normal and large size in 144th, 72nd and 35th scale.

All decals were printed professionally by Macdou Transfers Ltd; they adhere very well and do not react to solvents. Photos of the draft number decals on a 72nd U-boat model can be seen at our website at -

http://amp.rokket.biz/decals.shtml

Cheers,

Wink and Dougie
Accurate Model Parts (AMP)
dougie47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-08, 09:11 AM   #2
Savvy
Loader

These decals really are of a high quality and no Revell U-Boat should be built without them!

Sav.
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-08, 09:12 AM   #3
Siara
Grey Wolf

Good news guys.

Shame im depicting early 552, and probably dont need one, theyr superb!

Master Models
Siara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-08, 02:05 PM   #4
dougie47
Swabbie

Hi guys,

Many thanks for your comments. I've been particularly impressed by both your builds. Very fine efforts indeed!

Saira, are you depicting U 552 with the netcutter and breakwaters? The netcutter was removed before breakwaters so you could go no netcutter but breakwaters there.

The wind defector was added to the top of U 69's tower particularly early. It was there during the boat's commissioning on 2nd November 1940, though not when it was launched in mid-September 1940. Some boats such as U 564 didn't have the wind deflector even as late as November 1941, though most did by that stage.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers,

Dougie
Old 03-29-08, 02:18 PM   #5
Siara
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougie47
Hi guys,

Many thanks for your comments. I've been particularly impressed by both your builds. Very fine efforts indeed!

Saira, are you depicting U 552 with the netcutter and breakwaters? The netcutter was removed before breakwaters so you could go no netcutter but breakwaters there.

Dougie
Thank You Dougie. You know we all rely on Your articles about the U-boats, so partly You have lot of input in our boats.

Yes im doing the early 552 with cutters, and water deflectors round the 88mm.
I was thinking about ditching the lower cutter and doing SG, but i think only 1 boat had the SG at the time of lounch of 552 in 1940.
The CT as far as my research goes is the early type- one without the wind deflector. Correct me if im wrong Dougie.

Master Models
Old 03-29-08, 03:10 PM   #6
dougie47
Swabbie

Hi Siara,

Yes, you are right about the wind deflector on U 552. My guess as to the combination on U 552 is -

Patrol 1 - yes net cutter, yes breakwaters, no wind deflector.
Patrol 2 - no net cutter, yes breakwaters, no wind deflector.
Patrol 3 onwards - no net cutter, no breakwaters, no wind deflector.

Somtime later in 1941 (probably summer or maybe autumn) the wind deflector was added. The snorting bull was probably in place by patrol 3. Just guesses so don't take these for granted!

The S-G. Ah, that is tricky for U 552. Some or all of the early Krupp boats didn't have an S-G (U 70 and U 94 didn't). But I think the early Blohm & Voss boats all had them. U 559 definitely had one, as did U 551. Below is a strange photo. It is of U 551, the first of the B&V boats (the lines on the casing are to evaluate speed during trials). I am presuming U 552 was similar to U 551. To my eyes there is a vertical bar through the middle of the S-G. This bar isn't there on other pics of S-Gs. I'm wondering if this bar is a lower net cutter AND an S-G. I was a bit confused the first time I saw this photo as I wasn't expecting both on the boat's stem.

So I'd definitely say you need an S-G for U 552. But you probably need this vertical bar also, given U 552 is directly after U 551. Hope this helps rather than befuddles!

Cheers,

Dougie
Old 03-29-08, 03:30 PM   #7
Siara
Grey Wolf

Thanks for speedy answer.
If i like to depict the "first patrol" boat, i`ll need the top part of cutter and the SG without the bottom part of the cutter? Is it what Your sayin? Im sure one eliminates another as they occupy same spot. Right? What bar You talking about- i can hardly see the U-boat.

Is it the vertical thingy running down through the SG? Is it possible the cutter was fixed with SG?

Master Models
Old 03-29-08, 04:41 PM   #8
dougie47
Swabbie

Hi Saira,

Sorry about the quality of the image. I can't improve it, I'm afraid. Yes, I'm referring to the vertical thingy running through the S-G. If you look at the following image on Wink's site -

http://www.rokket.biz/models/modelsw...7/ubrass.shtml

The photo on that page shows the S-G on U 559. This is the conventional design, without a vertical thing running down the middle.

Some form of vertical bar is there on U 551. But I'm not sure what it is. I'd agree that having a lower net cutter over the S-G does not seem right at all! Maybe the vertical bar is just some form of removable protective guard?

Cheers,

Dougie
Old 03-29-08, 10:10 PM   #9
Bill Nichols
Master of Defense

Downloads: 125

Nice looking flags on your site, too. Unfortunately, I get a bad link when trying to download your price list
Old 03-30-08, 04:35 AM   #10
Siara
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nichols
Nice looking flags on your site, too. Unfortunately, I get a bad link when trying to download your price list
I`d love to own one of them to, unfortunately Wink tald me the flag is still being tested before release. Is that still the case?

PS: Bill- do You need one for Your 1-144? Haws it comming along? Any pics?

Master Models
Old 03-30-08, 05:32 AM   #11
Savvy
Loader

Quote:
The wind defector was added to the top of U 69's tower particularly early. It was there during the boat's commissioning on 2nd November 1940, though not when it was launched in mid-September 1940. Some boats such as U 564 didn't have the wind deflector even as late as November 1941, though most did by that stage.
Hi Dougie,

Thanks for the info and the coments. I would say that looking at the photo in your Snorting Bull pdf that U-69 did have the wind deflector fitted when the laughing cow was painted on the CT. I'm guessing this purely by the the size of the shadow that appears in the photo.

Sav.

PS I'll also be wanting one of your Kriegsmarine flags at some stage
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-08, 07:16 AM   #12
dougie47
Swabbie

Hi folks,

It won't be too long before the flags are ready for sale. Nearly there now. I'll let Wink know about the bad link for the flag price list. Strange that, as it worked two days ago!

Cheers,

Dougie
Old 03-30-08, 07:22 AM   #13
Bill Nichols
Master of Defense

Downloads: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siara
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nichols
I`d love to own one of them to, unfortunately Wink tald me the flag is still being tested before release. Is that still the case?

PS: Bill- do You need one for Your 1-144? Haws it comming along? Any pics?
Yes, it's for my 1/144 Type VII. (I could also use a nice US flag for my 1/144 Gato, still in the box.)

Status on the former: Still researching and gathering materials. Once my current grad school semester is over, I'll have time to actually start building.