SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-21-08, 12:23 PM   #76
fred8615
Saint of the seas

Downloads: 265
Uploads: 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by gclarkso
Thanks for the great content although I'm fuzzy on how to get the music to play.

I have installed (via JSGME) the NBC and CBS audio mods, as well as downloaded the 1940-45 music files. I have moved the music files to the Radio folder...the station specific year folder of the station and individually.

I understand news and other programming are event-based, but am thinking when on patrol, or on a mission, I simply bring up the radio, tune into a station I have installed and hear music.

I'm sure the music content isn't where is supposed to be...I'm just looking for confirmation where they should be.
Answered via e-mail.
fred8615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-08, 06:27 PM   #77
gclarkso
Watch

Downloads: 261
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred8615
Answered via e-mail.
I appreciate the help Frederick!

"They must have spotted our periscope"
gclarkso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-08, 11:13 AM   #78
fred8615
Saint of the seas

I've added a new station! Please see the first post for info and download link.

I do need to point out a couple of items. While there are some holes in the available Superman episodes, when it is on, it's an every weekday show. But it's also only 15 minutes long.

The Lone Ranger on the other hand, is 30 minutes long and comes on three times a week, Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Again, I couldn't find all the episodes, but I do have most of them.

So if that kind of radio listening isn't your cup of tea, don't say I didn't warn you!

Last edited by fred8615; 02-22-08 at 11:31 AM.
Old 02-23-08, 06:32 PM   #79
peewee
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 32

This might not be the most important mod on subsim, but its easily the most enjoyable. My wife and I have just sat and listened to over 4 hours of great music. I can't imagine how much work went into collating all this stuff but I just want to say a big 'THANK YOU' from both of us......
peewee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-08, 11:48 AM   #80
SgtWalt65
Torpedoman

Downloads: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred8615
I have created several radio mods for Silent Hunter 4, as well as seperate music files, divided by year. All except the music files are JoneSoft Generic Mod Enabler compatible. The files in the mods are of a higher bitrate than some other mods, so they are quite large as a consequence. In fact, you may not wish to use JSGME with a couple of them because of this.

Radio stations do not include music, only the appropriate news and/or entertainment programs. Except for the KGMB station, all are subdivided by year for the music files. While you can control programs in the "Events" folder with events.ini, you can't control the music. And hearing a song about Iwo Jima in 1942 is just ...wrong. :-) Only episodes from the WWII era (December 1941 through August 14th, 1945) are used. Not all episodes of a program may be available.

All except the music files include readmes. These contain installation instructions, more information, and the channel info you'll need to copy and paste into the "radio.ini" in order to hear the radio stations.

Everything is organized in folders on the site.

Here is what I have available:

Music Files

1940 (356 songs) - approx. 750MB
1941 (359 songs) - approx. 738MB
1942 (266 songs) - approx. 574MB
1943 (183 songs) - approx. 376MB
1944 (258 songs) - approx. 510MB
1945 (235 songs) - approx. 493MB

Can be used with any radio station, or the Gramophone.

http://hosted.filefront.com/fred8615/2111686

Radio Stations

NBC radio station
You must download all 17 files in order to extract properly. A little under 4.5GBs total.

This will add the real life NBC radio station KPO in San Francisco. It includes NBC news broadcasts, some speeches, the Abbott and Costello, Amos and Andy, Bob Hope, Edgar Bergen and Charlie McCarthy, Fibber McGee and Molly, The Great Gildersleeve, Jack Benny, Red Skelton, and Spike Jones entertainment programs.

NBC Add-on
1 file, around 9MBs.

This will add the 1941 Jack Benny Christmas show; the 1942 Amos and Andy Christmas show; and change the incorrect start time of a 1944 news report. Install AFTER installing NBC.

http://hosted.filefront.com/fred8615/2029823

Armed Forces Radio Service stations
You must download all 19 files in order to extract properly. A little under 5GBs total.

This is a set of 4 radio stations. These stations (Honolulu, Midway, Guam [from September 1944], and Wollongong, Australia) play programs produced by the Armed Forces Radio Service. Programs included are Command Performance, G.I. Jive, G.I. Journal, and Mail Call. It does not include any news.

AFRS Add-on
1 file, around 227MBs.

Adds 22 episodes of the Armed Forces Radio Service program Melody Roundup. This was a 15 minute country & western version of G.I. Jive, with celebrity hosts. It also includes an extra episode of G.I. Journal, and a longer version of the 1944 Command Performance Christmas show. The readme file includes alternate channel info to create one global range station, or two 4000 nautical mile range stations. Install AFTER installing AFRS.

AFRS Add-on 2 *NEW*
1 file, around 193MBs.

This will add two 1942 episodes of the Armed Forces Radio Service program Command Performance; one G.I. Christmas Present, two G.I. Journal, eight G.I. Jive, all for 1943; three G.I. Jive and nine G.I. Journal for 1944; and five 1945 G.I. Journal shows. Readme includes corrected station info. Install AFTER installing the AFRS mod and the first Add-on.

http://hosted.filefront.com/fred8615/2034045

KGMB Honolulu radio station
You must download all 3 files in order to extract properly. A little under 800MBs total.

This is the real life CBS radio station KGMB in Honolulu. This station plays news produced by the CBS network, as well as some speeches. This station is famous as the one both the Japanese and the American B-17 bombers used to home in on Honolulu on the morning of December 7th, 1941. It does not include any entertainment programs.

KGMB Add-on
1 file, around 4.5MBs.

This will add two 1942 Edward R. Murrow news broadcasts, one 1944 ERM broadcast and replaces another with a longer version, adds one 1945 ERM broadcast, and removes the call for a redundant 1944 FDR speech. Install AFTER installing KGMB.

The folder also contains my Hawaiian Music file.

http://hosted.filefront.com/fred8615/2031783

CBS radio station
You must download all 6 files in order to extract properly. Around 1.5GBs total.

This will add the real life CBS radio station KNX in Los Angeles. It includes CBS news broadcasts, some speeches, and the Burns and Allen and Fred Allen entertainment programs.

CBS Add-on
1 file, around 18MBs.

This will add two 1941 Burns and Allen programs, two 1942 Edward R. Murrow news broadcasts, one 1944 ERM broadcast and replaces another with a longer version, adds one 1945 ERM broadcast, and removes the call for a redundant 1944 FDR speech. Install AFTER installing KNX.

http://hosted.filefront.com/fred8615/2029156

Radio Tokyo
1 file, around 68MBs.

This will add the real life Japanese radio station NHK in Tokyo. It includes a couple of speeches (in japanese of course) and the few "Zero Hour" propaganda programs that can be found. The music segments of ZH are what became known as the "Tokyo Rose" broadcasts. Unfortunately, no programs are available before August, 1944. And those that are available are not very good quality. But they are authentic.

The folder also contains my Japanese Koto Music, and castorp345's Japanese Traditional and Japanese Wartime Radio Packs.

http://hosted.filefront.com/fred8615/2111678

Radio Saigon
1 file, around 77MBs.

I'm now mirroring Ziem's Radio Saigon mod, as the original links no longer work.

http://hosted.filefront.com/fred8615

MBS Radio Station
You must download all 16 files in order to extract properly. Around 4.1GBs.

This will add the real life Mutual Broadcasting System station KHJ in Los Angeles. It includes MBS news broadcasts, some speeches, the Adventures of Superman, The Lone Ranger, and The Shadow entertainment programs.

http://hosted.filefront.com/fred8615/2178189

Enjoy!
:rotfl: How much for a new hard drive....hehe. I will need one with this.
Old 03-04-08, 01:05 PM   #81
fred8615
Saint of the seas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtWalt65
:rotfl: How much for a new hard drive....hehe. I will need one with this.
I got a 500GB for Christmas. It was $100. Just last week I saw a 1 terabyte for $250.
Old 04-05-08, 09:58 AM   #82
Schroeder
Navy Seal

Downloads: 62

Hi Fred,
i've got the same problem as gclarkso mentioned:

Quote:
Thanks for the great content although I'm fuzzy on how to get the music to play.

I have installed (via JSGME) the NBC and CBS audio mods, as well as downloaded the 1940-45 music files. I have moved the music files to the Radio folder...the station specific year folder of the station and individually.

I understand news and other programming are event-based, but am thinking when on patrol, or on a mission, I simply bring up the radio, tune into a station I have installed and hear music.

I'm sure the music content isn't where is supposed to be...I'm just looking for confirmation where they should be.
I installed the AFRS Soundmod but don't hear a thing when I tune to the stations.
I've added the required lines to my radio.ini and filled the year's folder with music. Yet nothing playes.
I also have installed the Captain Midnight's CBS mod which just works fine. So I wonder what I've made wrong:hmm:.

Can anyone help me please?
Schroeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-08, 11:21 AM   #83
kylesplanet
Commodore

Downloads: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder
Hi Fred,
i've got the same problem as gclarkso mentioned:

Quote:

I installed the AFRS Soundmod but don't hear a thing when I tune to the stations.
I've added the required lines to my radio.ini and filled the year's folder with music. Yet nothing playes.
I also have installed the Captain Midnight's CBS mod which just works fine. So I wonder what I've made wrong:hmm:.

Can anyone help me please?
Does your radio stop at the assigned frequency or just go on by?
Old 04-05-08, 04:17 PM   #84
Schroeder
Navy Seal

Downloads: 62

It stops at the right frequencies and displays the stations name. But still it plays the "noise.ogg" file only.

*EDIT*

Don't ask me why but all off a sudden it seems to work. I haven't touched a thing since I tried it last time but now it's working. Realy odd....
Well, I startet a new career maybe thats why.

Last edited by Schroeder; 04-05-08 at 05:04 PM.
Schroeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-08, 08:44 AM   #85
fred8615
Saint of the seas

What was the date you tried to play it first? AFRS didn't begin programing until 1942, so I set the station to not play until then. So if you were still in 1941 you won't hear anything.
Old 04-30-08, 08:38 PM   #86
stlkrash
Seaman

Downloads: 2
Default radio

can some one make 1 or 2 complete file sets or a suggestion i made in past was to host real time music side no news , on like live 365.

Executive Sales Rep
Switchblade Servers
Razbam 3D Studios
stlkrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-08, 09:33 AM   #87
fred8615
Saint of the seas

What do you mean by "complete file sets?" As for "real time" music, there's just no way to stream music in the game itself. The only way to do it is run the streaming program in the background, and the game in the foreground.

Now if you want a station of just music, absolutely no news playing or showing up on the clipboard, the easiest solution is to delete or move the Events folder inside the Washington folder. Moving it would let you restore it later if you want. Then put your music files in Washington, and they'll play randomly, unlike the other option, the gramophone.

If you want a separate station of just music, let me know and I'll help you out that way.
Old 05-29-08, 08:09 PM   #88
virtualpender
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 281
Default Fred rules

While I enjoy many of the mods that I've found here on subsim, I have to single out Fred for special recognition. All of your radio mods add so much to the atmosphere of the game, I can't imagine playing without them. Thanks tons for all of your work on these.

Ryan
virtualpender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-08, 08:03 AM   #89
fred8615
Saint of the seas

Thank you. FYI, I still have some more add-ons to do. I hope to start work on them in a couple of weeks.
Old 05-30-08, 02:28 PM   #90
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Fred, you have wasted more of my hard drive space than any modder or game itself! I'm so addicted I have an RSS feed of your FileFront files running at all times. I am a sick puppy and my hard drive is suffering.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
music, radio, radio stations