SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-23-14, 07:34 PM   #76
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

I just visited flightsim.com but I think this Hurricane is too old to still be in their listings; it's a free download elsewhere, so they're not likely to still have it for sale.

The view from the cockpit is important to me too, and I've no idea how good this is on this model. I DO NOT like the dirtying of the glass around the cockpit framing in Wings of Prey at all. I know what they were trying to achieve but it's far too obtrusive and ruins the view.
Eichhörnchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-14, 09:18 PM   #77
Joefour
Engineer

Downloads: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichhornchen View Post
I just visited flightsim.com but I think this Hurricane is too old to still be in their listings; it's a free download elsewhere, so they're not likely to still have it for sale.

The view from the cockpit is important to me too, and I've no idea how good this is on this model. I DO NOT like the dirtying of the glass around the cockpit framing in Wings of Prey at all. I know what they were trying to achieve but it's far too obtrusive and ruins the view.
Well, I thought it might be worth a try. You say elswhere. Were you looking at some model that is for sale? I've downloaded several models from that site that are great, for free. I will admit though that they were for Rise of Flight and not CFS2.

"I love the smell of burning oil slicks in the morning. It smells like...Victory!"

Last edited by Joefour; 08-23-14 at 09:30 PM.
Joefour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-14, 01:10 AM   #78
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Well I only had time for a quick look, I'll go back later.

Speaking of P-38s, I got one (another Just Flight model, I think) from my "free-with-PC Pilot Magazine" CD-ROM once. I don't know whether you ever get this mag. with a cover cd full of free stuff (planes, scenery and the like)?

Increasingly now the content of the magazine is pitched at the most up-to-date sims (DCS World, X-Plane etc) but to be fair the cd is split about 50/50 between fs9 and fsx, because (I suppose) its content is produced largely by amateur guys who're skilled in those platforms.

Now and again they get a freebie for their cd from one of the big boys and then it's REALLY worth getting: one of my favourites was the F-86 for fs9 (think it runs in fsx too)... I can't recall who made it but I can soon look that up. It's the complete package, with a number of skins to choose from (some of these commercial freebies come with an astonishingly generous number of skins; others are a bit mean and either disappear from the screen if you go above 2000' or won't fly at all. These are just demos though: the F-86 was simply a generous gift).

Back to the P-38. My fs9 is on the cusp of falling on its backside much of the time, and this model is so elaborate and big that it just puts too much strain on it. The engine sound is very good. The Sabre, however, a VERY polished model in every sense, runs almost like a dream.

Last edited by Eichhörnchen; 08-24-14 at 03:15 AM.
Old 08-26-14, 08:29 AM   #79
mako88sb
XO

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako88sb View Post
Your welcome. Actually, your thread reminded me to search for it again so I owe you some thanks as well. I ordered it off amazon.ca last night and should have it by Monday. Sounds like about 10 mins has been edited out of it however although it's been so long since I seen it that it shouldn't be a problem.
Got "Escape of the Birdmen" yesterday and watched it last night. The quality of the dvd is definitely lacking and as some reviewers stated on Amazon, it looks like someone simply pointed a camera at a tv playing a vhs version. Still I enjoyed it but as I said before, I don't remember much about it since seeing it 43 years ago. Some might notice the missing 10 mins of footage. I forgot to ask if the actual Colditz glider used porridge to dope the fabric?
mako88sb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-14, 09:08 AM   #80
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako88sb View Post
Got "Escape of the Birdmen" yesterday and watched it last night. The quality of the dvd is definitely lacking and as some reviewers stated on Amazon, it looks like someone simply pointed a camera at a tv playing a vhs version. Still I enjoyed it but as I said before, I don't remember much about it since seeing it 43 years ago. Some might notice the missing 10 mins of footage. I forgot to ask if the actual Colditz glider used porridge to dope the fabric?
I was wondering about you, for sure...

I got a dvd like that once ("The Last Days Of Patton"). This movie, too, hadn't been seen for years since it was on TV, so I was chuffed to find it on mail-order dvd. It was really ropey. I couldn't believe they could sell it like that and felt there must be a better "print" of the film somewhere.

Interesting question about the porridge: I suppose it would've been the starch which might make it work as a "dope". I'll see if I can find out whether the real one was treated with porridge.

Thanks for getting back on this...

Just looked it up in "Colditz" by P.R. Reid:

For the doping, "German ration millet was ground fine and boiled in water for hours, forming a paste. This was applied hot to the skin. When cool and dry, it produced a smooth, glossy surface, shrinking the fabric at the same time, so that it became as taut as a drum."

I suppose in this daft movie they thought porridge would be more amusing...

Last edited by Eichhörnchen; 08-26-14 at 09:31 AM.
Old 08-26-14, 10:00 AM   #81
mako88sb
XO

Quote:
Just looked it up in "Colditz" by P.R. Reid:

For the doping, "German ration millet was ground fine and boiled in water for hours, forming a paste. This was applied hot to the skin. When cool and dry, it produced a smooth, glossy surface, shrinking the fabric at the same time, so that it became as taut as a drum."

I suppose in this daft movie they thought porridge would be more amusing...

Thanks for the quick response. I guess their decision worked for me as it's one of the few things I remember from way back then. It was interesting to see Tom Skerritt and Rene Auberjonois in it. A couple great actors I always enjoy to see.
Old 08-26-14, 11:54 AM   #82
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

I see it was a TV-movie starring Doug McClure and Chuck Connors. I looked up Rene Auberjonois and immediately recognised him as "Odo" in DS9.

Didn't see Tom Skerritt mentioned but I recognise him, too.

I've got a lot of time for Matt Damon as an actor and the "Bourne" movies are keepers for me. Have you seen "The Monuments Men" yet (George Clooney, Matt Damon). Great movie. Captures the feel of time and place perfectly. My dad was in Germany at this time; after he recovered from being blown up (see "Hitler Tried To Get My Dad" thread) they put him in the Civilian Control Commission.

Last edited by Eichhörnchen; 08-26-14 at 12:10 PM.
Old 08-26-14, 01:45 PM   #83
mako88sb
XO

Quote:
I see it was a TV-movie starring Doug McClure and Chuck Connors. I looked up Rene Auberjonois and immediately recognised him as "Odo" in DS9.

Didn't see Tom Skerritt mentioned but I recognise him, too.

I've got a lot of time for Matt Damon as an actor and the "Bourne" movies are keepers for me. Have you seen "The Monuments Men" yet (George Clooney, Matt Damon). Great movie. Captures the feel of time and place perfectly. My dad was in Germany at this time; after he recovered from being blown up (see "Hitler Tried To Get My Dad" thread) they put him in the Civilian Control Commission.
No, I haven't seen it yet but hopefully soon. I'll have to check the thread about your dad. Sounds very interesting.
Old 08-26-14, 02:50 PM   #84
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

That thread has gained quite some momentum: some really good stuff has been posted there and I'm in hopes there'll eventually be someone with a PoW story.
Old 08-27-14, 12:02 AM   #85
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

I have a WWII POW story. Actually involving my grandfather who was US Army Signal Corps and German POWs.Certain details I do not have as my grandfather passed away 30 years ago and he had forgotten names.

Most of the war my grandfather had it pretty easy he was Signal Corps and spent 80% of his war in England.They would use POWs in the warehouse section to help organize things. Anyway according to my grandfather a German officer complained to him that he suspected that the Americans where throwing away letters POWs had written. Anyway my grandfather managed to find out that no letters had been thrown away. I suppose that the German officer was pleased enough or finally did get a return letter and believed what my grandfather had told him.

The kind act did not go unrewarded. The German officer informed my grandfather a few weeks later that a group of diehards where planning to make an escape by hiding in the warehouse and having one man feign an injury to get one of the Americans to approach.At which point they would take his weapon(obviously killing him in the process) their goal was to escape into the English countryside and of course attempt to sabotage vital facilities.

Unfortunately my grandfather never did know the Germans complete name or where he was from in Germany. Kind of ironic of course as had the officer not given the warning those diehards might have killed my grandfather or whom ever else might have been on duty at the time had they gotten a chance to carry out their escape plan.

Another story about POWs from my fathers history teacher in high school(this would have been in the early 60's). This time in Italy in Sicily. Apparently the future history teacher was a member of a US Army squad on patrol as they came over the top of a hill in a village down below was a much more sizable force of Italians. At first the squad thought their gooses where cooked being clearly outnumbered so they got ready for what was coming....which was the entire Italian unit which out manned and out gunned the single American squad surrendering to them instead of attacking. Needless to say they headed back to American lines before anyone changed their minds. Good thing I recon that that particular units morale was busted when they saw the Americans at the top of the hill.
Stealhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-14, 08:48 AM   #86
Kptlt. Neuerburg
Admiral

Downloads: 54
Default P.O.W book recommendations.

Here's a book I would strongly recommend to any fan of P.O.W books, it's called Under the Wire by William Ash and Brendan Foley. The book is about William "Bill" Ash who grew up in Depression Era Texas, who so badly wanted to fight the Nazis he tried to join the RCAF (and failed to do so a couple times) and eventually made to England where he flew Spitfires in the RAF and was eventually shot down. As was said in the book Bill was an "American, flying for Canada, fighting for England, and was shot down over France and captured by the Germans!" His escapes where many and truly legendary.

Another book I would also recommend if it can be found is My War With Imperial Japan by Richard Vernon Hill, Maj. (Ret.), this book is about an American solder who gets caught up in the Invasion of the Philippines, escapes once to the island fortress of Corregidor and is eventually captured by the Japanese and is one of many to suffer the horrors of the Bataan Death March. While in a holding camp this soldier manages to escape again this time (if I remember right) swimming out to a partly sunken freighter in Manila Bay where he hides for a few days, then swims to shore on the southern side of Manila Bay and continues to make his down south. On the way he meets a couple of others P.O.Ws who also managed to escape, together and with the help of the Filipinos make their way further and further from the Japanese. They eventually manage to get a boat from of all places a leper colony! Then the P.O.Ws sailed some 4,000 miles though enemy infested waters and having being stopped by IJN destroyers and flown over and in one instance strafed by Zeros finally make it to Australia. I read this book some odd years ago and it's really worth a read but it is somewhat hard to come by (I looked for it in the library system with no luck) but it can be bought at places like Amazon.
Old 08-28-14, 12:10 PM   #87
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Here's a book you guys would be interested in.

"The war journal of Major Rocky Gause"

This guy along with a couple other GI's escaped the fall of Corregidor and managed to sail a leaky open boat all the way to Australia dodging the Japanese along the way.

Well written and has a bunch of pictures.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-14, 09:18 PM   #88
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Here is a pic of the rest of my POW book collection.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-14, 12:39 PM   #89
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Default Thanks, Pal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealhead View Post
I have a WWII POW story. Actually involving my grandfather who was US Army Signal Corps and German POWs.Certain details I do not have as my grandfather passed away 30 years ago and he had forgotten names.

Most of the war my grandfather had it pretty easy he was Signal Corps and spent 80% of his war in England.They would use POWs in the warehouse section to help organize things. Anyway according to my grandfather a German officer complained to him that he suspected that the Americans where throwing away letters POWs had written. Anyway my grandfather managed to find out that no letters had been thrown away. I suppose that the German officer was pleased enough or finally did get a return letter and believed what my grandfather had told him.

The kind act did not go unrewarded. The German officer informed my grandfather a few weeks later that a group of diehards where planning to make an escape by hiding in the warehouse and having one man feign an injury to get one of the Americans to approach.At which point they would take his weapon(obviously killing him in the process) their goal was to escape into the English countryside and of course attempt to sabotage vital facilities.

Unfortunately my grandfather never did know the Germans complete name or where he was from in Germany. Kind of ironic of course as had the officer not given the warning those diehards might have killed my grandfather or whom ever else might have been on duty at the time had they gotten a chance to carry out their escape plan.

Another story about POWs from my fathers history teacher in high school(this would have been in the early 60's). This time in Italy in Sicily. Apparently the future history teacher was a member of a US Army squad on patrol as they came over the top of a hill in a village down below was a much more sizable force of Italians. At first the squad thought their gooses where cooked being clearly outnumbered so they got ready for what was coming....which was the entire Italian unit which out manned and out gunned the single American squad surrendering to them instead of attacking. Needless to say they headed back to American lines before anyone changed their minds. Good thing I recon that that particular units morale was busted when they saw the Americans at the top of the hill.

Thanks, Stealhead, and you other guys who've kept this thread alive while I've been confined unexpectedly not by the Germans, but in a hospital about as hard to get out of as Colditz. It looks like some fabulous catch-up reading for me!
Old 11-21-14, 06:02 AM   #90
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Default My Books

Wanted to follow August's good idea: one or two I can't find right now...