SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-20-09, 07:29 AM   #16
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by makman94 View Post
@Pisces:when you are saying that the uzo ( in real life ) didn't roll ,you mean that it wasn't moving vertical at all ??(i did it to move a very little more down in order the above red horizontal line to 'catch' the horizon)
I have an aeronautical education so I allways think in those definitions. Rolling is: left side(wing) going down when right side is going up (or leftside up and right side down), Yawing: left side forward when right side backwards (and vice-versa), Pitching: nose up/down, tail down/up.

If a sub is pitching (bow and aft is going up and down because of waves or whatever, or it sink almost vertically) AND you are looking in that same direction the view seems to go up an down too. But if you look to the side (to wingtips, or in nautical terms, your beam, 90/270 bearing) the view appears to be rolling. Yawing would look the same in any direction (but I guess a submarine would hardly yaw back and forth) because direction is in the same motion. But if the submarine is rolling, the view along the beam/90/270 would also appear to go up and down. Does that make it clear?

In the game this up/down moving of the view can be filtered out with the steady periscope realism option. But in other directions this would look like rolling and isn't filtered out iirc (it's been a while since I got my feet wet ). If the view rolls this line in the uzo isn't parallel anymore to the horizon or waterline. So measuring is a bit faulty in those situations depending on the amount of roll and/or stabilisation SH3 really does.

Last edited by Pisces; 05-20-09 at 09:04 AM.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-09, 09:55 AM   #17
von schatten
Watch

Downloads: 186

Thank-you for the clarification. I had enabled another mod after the optics mod and it was conflicting with this one. Problem solved. Thanx for the mod and your help.
von schatten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-09, 01:44 PM   #18
makman94
Hellas

Downloads: 182
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces View Post
I have an aeronautical education so I allways think in those definitions. Rolling is: left side(wing) going down when right side is going up (or leftside up and right side down), Yawing: left side forward when right side backwards (and vice-versa), Pitching: nose up/down, tail down/up.

If a sub is pitching (bow and aft is going up and down because of waves or whatever, or it sink almost vertically) AND you are looking in that same direction the view seems to go up an down too. But if you look to the side (to wingtips, or in nautical terms, your beam, 90/270 bearing) the view appears to be rolling. Yawing would look the same in any direction (but I guess a submarine would hardly yaw back and forth) because direction is in the same motion. But if the submarine is rolling, the view along the beam/90/270 would also appear to go up and down. Does that make it clear?

In the game this up/down moving of the view can be filtered out with the steady periscope realism option. But in other directions this would look like rolling and isn't filtered out iirc (it's been a while since I got my feet wet ). If the view rolls this line in the uzo isn't parallel anymore to the horizon or waterline. So measuring is a bit faulty in those situations depending on the amount of roll and/or stabilisation SH3 really does.
so.....,... a 'flying' man on a u-boat! ..dangerous combination!! (i am joking)
yes your message makes it clear but did the uzo (itself) had the abillity to move vertically ? and if no,then its purpose was only to have bearing readings?
makman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-09, 07:11 AM   #19
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by makman94 View Post
so.....,... a 'flying' man on a u-boat! ..dangerous combination!! (i am joking)
yes your message makes it clear but did the uzo (itself) had the abillity to move vertically ? and if no,then its purpose was only to have bearing readings?
(Looks at Hitman for an answer)
Old 05-21-09, 08:27 AM   #20
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Quote:
(Looks at Hitman for an answer)
I guess I've built a reputation here

AFAIK the UZO was stabilized, but I have no details wether it was both vertically (pitch) and horizontally (roll) or just vertically. I can however positively confirm it was able to tilt up and down (pitch).

In this picture here you can see the link between the pedestal and the binoculars which seems to allow it to tilt only up-down (pitch), but not all models looked like that:

Old 05-21-09, 10:47 AM   #21
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
Yes, you should get that "Pacific Aces Dev Team" changed to include Submarine Technology History Proffesor.
Old 05-21-09, 06:46 PM   #22
makman94
Hellas

Quote:

AFAIK the UZO was stabilized, but I have no details wether it was both vertically (pitch) and horizontally (roll) or just vertically. I can however positively confirm it was able to tilt up and down (pitch).

In this picture here you can see the link between the pedestal and the binoculars which seems to allow it to tilt only up-down (pitch), but not all models looked like that
yes Hitman, it looks like it was able to move up-down . so,as far you know, the uzo was only for bearing readings? or had other uses too?

ps: the sailorman looks very huppy in your foto !
serving the u-boats........
Old 05-22-09, 07:22 AM   #23
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

The UZO was an aiming device, its function was only to transmit the line of bearing. The distance was estimated by the IWO with his experience, and using the lense of teh UZO as reference. For example, a 125 metres long ship at 90º AOB covers the full lense.

Later war models -not very extended- had apparently a stereoscopic rangefinding system, which was useful at short distances like the shooting ones were.

In SH3, the most realistic way to represent this is to ask your IWO and think of him as well trained in this (There were some very capable IWOs in the U-Boats, with an excellent eye for estimating distance and speed)
Old 05-23-09, 05:21 AM   #24
makman94
Hellas

Quote:
and using the lense of teh UZO as reference. For example, a 125 metres long ship at 90º AOB covers the full lense.
but this demands all uzo to be set at a given zoom, right?

Quote:
In SH3, the most realistic way to represent this is to ask your IWO and think of him as well trained in this (There were some very capable IWOs in the U-Boats, with an excellent eye for estimating distance and speed)
well, i have to say here that my WO has the eye of eagle ! he can distinguish the difference of 100m at 15km !!

anyway, thank you for your answers
Old 05-24-09, 01:58 AM   #25
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Quote:
but this demands all uzo to be set at a given zoom, right?
Yes, it was. The zoom was fixed at 7,25º degrees aperture, 7.1x zoom.
Old 05-28-09, 08:17 PM   #26
Anubis2k24
Watch

Downloads: 84
Wow...

Is there anyway this could b incorporated into GWX3? I'm just loving what i'm seeing here...

Work in Progress...

SH3 GWX 3.0 & SH3 Commander V3.0
Torpedo Damage Mod Final V2.0
Water Stream and Exhaust Combi Mod v1.0
Life Boat & Debri V4.0

Anubis2k24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-09, 11:31 AM   #27
makman94
Hellas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis2k24 View Post
Is there anyway this could b incorporated into GWX3? I'm just loving what i'm seeing here...
hello Anubis2k24,
yes,you can do this but you will first run tha olc's gui 127.(only the core files)
immediatelly then ''manos optics(reversed uzo) x15 or x6'' and immediatelly then ''manos optics-add on''

read very carefully the readme texts.

bye
Old 06-09-09, 07:40 PM   #28
makman94
Hellas

Default minor change to 'MANOS OPTICS-ADD ON'

hello,

i changed the place of compass at attack peri (put it in a higher place) becuase it was a little annoying when using the stadimeter

check the OP, is updated

bye

Mediafire page:http://www.mediafire.com/folder/da50.../Makman94_Mods
Old 04-22-16, 08:22 AM   #29
ivanov.ruslan
The Old Man

Downloads: 901

Hi, I will share a combination of mods,with slight adjustments made by me http://dox.bg/files/dw?a=4f5a0f5fea
Which he likes to use

installation

1.OlC GUI 127 core files
2.mfd + olc
3.MANOS OPTICS- x15 -for OLC GUI 1.2.7
4.MANOS OPTICS-ADD ON
5.GWX - Officer Icons-Ger og Eng -JCWOLF-by request
6.B25 camera -by request Can be used by original from point 3
Attach some pictures

Good hunt!
ivanov.ruslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-16, 08:46 AM   #30
ivanov.ruslan
The Old Man

Downloads: 901

P.S. If you use B 25, is necessary to replace and the respective positions in http://dox.bg/files/dw?a=a1eac7ba55
ivanov.ruslan is offline   Reply With Quote