SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-07-09, 07:44 PM   #31
pythos
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 46
Uploads: 0

The aforementioned thumping sound is a segment of one sound file getting stuck after running at high TC. It is not necessarily a problem with the mod, but with SH4's sound controller.

I have inquired into this problem on this site and got absolutely no response.

If I recall correctly, sh3 had this same problem.

One thing is for sure, It is an annoying and unacceptable problem. If the sound that gets looped is a rather loud sound it can really screw things up requiring a reload.

This is once again a product of having a suit decide when to push the game out with out proper testing.
pythos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-09, 06:04 AM   #32
TDK1044
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythos View Post
The aforementioned thumping sound is a segment of one sound file getting stuck after running at high TC. It is not necessarily a problem with the mod, but with SH4's sound controller.

I have inquired into this problem on this site and got absolutely no response.

If I recall correctly, sh3 had this same problem.

One thing is for sure, It is an annoying and unacceptable problem. If the sound that gets looped is a rather loud sound it can really screw things up requiring a reload.

This is once again a product of having a suit decide when to push the game out with out proper testing.

That's why I dropped this mod in favor of this one which in my view is better and works perfectly.

http://files.filefront.com/GermanSpe.../fileinfo.html
TDK1044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-09, 02:30 PM   #33
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Yes, you've posted that twice now in as many days.
Old 05-08-09, 10:14 PM   #34
pythos
Grey Wolf

Geee Tdk, that was unkind.

I had stated that this is a problem seemingly not of this mod, but instead within SH4 sound engine itself. There is also one that allows the playing of long wav files such as the das boot dive sequence once per reload. Perhaps the two bugs are interconnected and there is a parameter that controls length a file can before before going into a loop.

TDK, I am not knocking the sound set you are supporting, but implying that people should go to that one, instead of offering ideas on how to solve the supposed problems with this one just comes off as rude.

It is kinda like when someone goes to the TM posts and says "TMO stinks, it is full of bugs, try RFB" or vice versa. Both mods have their foibles. But they are also of no charge to us who love this game, and we should support those who make the mods, not put them down.
Old 05-09-09, 08:02 AM   #35
TDK1044
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 25

I didn't mean it to be unkind. I had that thumping issue and could not get rid of it. The mod itself is excellent, but if you can't run it within the game it's of little use. Some people should get thicker skins.
TDK1044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-09, 04:25 PM   #36
salac_78
Seaman

Downloads: 106
Default +5

it is very very good-almost perfect,some lines are out of place,one or two witch is awesome considering u have used a lot of the movie material that fits perfectly in diferent situations that can happen during a patrol ,and i dont know was it just me or in same situation character say one thing and than hours later in same situation says something else witch totaly makes sence.
All in all superb

To whom it may concern: if u have loops strange waves etc fix it.I have yet to come across the sound mod that is 100% to my likeing.
For instance i didnt like my pc,i have fixed it and now i have the most advanced calculator this side of haven
salac_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-09, 06:58 AM   #37
otobei
Nub

Downloads: 53
question

Nice to meet you.
It questions.

It put it my game thinking that it was good sound MOD.
However,it collides with some MOD.
The name of concrete MOD is/New Real Environment mod/Ops Monsun v705/RFB v1.52/Spaxs SH4 Uboat speech fix v8/etc.

JSGME stops when specific MOD was installed, and the installation of DBSM is impossible. (It is displayed in the task manager, "There is no response". )

When DBSM is installed first, RFB v1.52 etc. cannot be installed.
JSGME stops and it becomes "There is no response".

Isn't there any information for this problem?

(It writes with a translation software. Please forgive the impoliteness.
The thing that you understand prays. )
otobei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-09, 04:26 PM   #38
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

I'm pulling my hair out trying to find which file is causing the 'thumping', which is not easy because I haven't heard it yet. Sorry, I'll keep looking.

@ otobei: I've reloaded SH4 a couple of times in the last few days, and haven't gotten that message. I install DBSM last of all, and it takes about 20 minutes to install. I've never used Spax's U-Boat Speech Fix. There might be interference with that.
Old 05-11-09, 11:35 AM   #39
otobei
Nub

Downloads: 53
Report of solution

Thank you for Mr.Steve and the answer.

Because "DBSM cannot be installed" problem was solved, we will report.
It easily explains the situation.

When DBSM is installed with other MOD such as RFB1.52 installed, JSGME is displayed by the task manager, "There is no response".
However, it will be suddenly displayed by the task manager in about ten minutes when seeing as it is, "Be executing it".
Time until being displayed, "Be executing it" changes by MOD that tries to be installed.
It took about 40 minutes until the task manager changed into the display of "Be executing it" when "Spax's SH4 Uboat Speech FIX v8" was installed.
When "DBSM" was installed when "OpsMonsun v705" and "New Real Environment mod" were installed, time was necessary by about 30 minutes.
Similar time was necessary though "DBSM" was previously installed or it installed later.
Why is it displayed, "There is no response", and the cause is uncertain.

In a word, there is no problem in "DBSM".
It is possible to install it though time is necessary.
I think that it is my personal computer that the problem is.

Mr. Steve. I'm sorry.
The bad one is me.I am bad.
It was necessary to confirm it accurately.

The report is ended.

In the future, it will expect it of MOD that you made.

(The translation software is used. Please forgive me when it is not possible to understand.The performance of the translation software is not good.)
otobei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-09, 01:11 PM   #40
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

I still haven't solved the "thumping" problem, but I have an idea. In SH3 sounds would sometimes get stuck if the file was too long. The same is probably true in SH4. I still haven't heard it myself, but I took a look at the different .wav files, and the longest is Amb_SubmarineInterior, at about 10 minutes. You might want to replace that one with the stock version or one from another mod, and see if that fixes it.

I'm really fond of that file because of the different sounds of people whispering and coughing, and the footsteps coming and going on the steel deck, but if it's hardly necessary to the running of the game. If that's the one, maybe it has to go.
Old 05-11-09, 06:23 PM   #41
pythos
Grey Wolf

Hopefully this helps others find this problem.

I was running another sound file, with sounds from das boot. After performing a crash dive the problem would pop up. It happens when the game goes from a TC of 64 or higher. The sound that looped was when the Chiefe is yelling in german "all hands forward", the segment of the sound was the german "forward". and it repeated over and over again. I was able to eliminate the problem by switching to a different dive sequence from another german sound set.

Odly enough the crash dive sequence, Get this, was no different than the one I replaced. Same length, heck even the same sound. But it did not loop.

In this case, with your mod steve, the sound that loops on mine is the sound of somone's foot contacting a rung of a metal ladder. It is from the ambient sound file, and it is in consistant.

It is a very odd and annoying problem that I do rember happening with sh3. It is a problem that should have been dealt with by the devs. Hopefully the damned suits at UBI will allow a proper development AND test of SH5, instead of being the besuited nuckleheads that pushed SH4 out before it was ready.
Old 05-19-09, 05:43 AM   #42
Bosje
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 89

gonna try this right now

it goes on top of the whole
--
rfb
opmon705
opmon patch 1
--
package, correct?
Old 05-19-09, 06:37 PM   #43
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Correct, because some of them change sound files too, and if you're going to use it you want these sound files to override the others.
Old 05-20-09, 02:15 AM   #44
Bosje
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 89

well, the thumping is not from the submarine interior
it is annoying though, almost a partykiller in this otherwise excellent mod
i got bugged by another looping noise too, it resembled the thumping but was very faint and was only on the hydrophone (but omnidirectional)

apart from some stuff that perhaps needs ironing out: very nice work
Old 06-08-09, 07:32 AM   #45
candymancan
Swabbie

Downloads: 7

the link is dead... Could someone pelase re-upload this mod anyone who has it ? Put it on megaupload.com or something please
candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote