SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-01-14, 08:13 PM   #1
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Hi, I'm back. I think a UFO crashed in my back yard and has been messing up my computer for the past year. Between video card death, hard drive death and Windows XP death, it's been pretty eventful. Now I'm up and running with a terrabyte hard drive and Windows 7 so looks like I'm good.

Now to get SH4 back up. I'm afraid I've probably lost my save games but I'm probably not good enough to play advanced stuff right now anyway. New beginnings are fun anyway.

I have the WernerSobe video, so I'll work on getting that back up. I have a headset that doesn't plug into USB so I can make videos again. Yikes! Who would think that the computer would have to treat a USB microphone as a new sound card and refuse to mix other sounds in there? My next idea was a mixer board, which I do have access to.

Looks like I have to read the thread on SH4 and Windows 7! At least I could avoid Windows 8. What a travesty that is! I have no idea what Microsoft could have been thinking.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-14, 08:28 PM   #2
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Good to see you in business again.
Old 06-09-15, 04:45 PM   #3
granite00
Torpedoman

Downloads: 162
Uploads: 0

Does anyone have links that work for the WernerSobe courses?
Old 06-23-15, 12:32 PM   #4
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by granite00 View Post
Does anyone have links that work for the WernerSobe courses?

That's the only one I've ever had. It's a good one and lead to all sorts of modifications.

Edit: Correction! I'll find the other two and upload them to You Tube where they will live for awhile.
Old 06-23-15, 01:22 PM   #5
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

All WernerSobe links (in my opinion the best ever made) have been redirected to valid locations on page 1. Long live WernerSobe wherever he may be!
Old 07-05-15, 09:06 PM   #6
DrBeast
The Old Man

Downloads: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Long live WernerSobe wherever he may be!
I'll second that! I still lament the fact that his improved sinking mod (can't remember its name, sorry...it's been years and I'm not getting any younger) never got a rehaul for 1.5

Let the Beast inside you free!
DrBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-15, 08:59 PM   #7
granite00
Torpedoman

Downloads: 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post

That's the only one I've ever had. It's a good one and lead to all sorts of modifications.

Edit: Correction! I'll find the other two and upload them to You Tube where they will live for awhile.
The Sonar Only link is labeled "private". Is there another way to access it? Thanks for fixing the other two WernerSobe links.
Old 02-23-15, 10:45 AM   #8
Tony845
Seaman

Downloads: 2
Default Keyboard shortcuts

In command.cgf I have changed the 'fire torpedo' key from 'enter' to 'space' (found my note on how to do that) now I want to use the 'enter' key to cancel time compression and return to normal time. How do I do that?
Tony845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-15, 06:34 PM   #9
Havan_IronOak
Navy Dude

Downloads: 233
Default Setting Default Torpedo Depth

I would like to have my torpedoes start at a default depth of 5 rather than the 2 meters that they seem to currently default to on an American Sub in SH4. Is there a way to change that in game? If not can someone point me to the file that controls that?
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
NVidia RTX2070 16 Gig
Havan_IronOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-15, 05:42 PM   #10
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Just curious why you want torpedoes defaulting to 5 meters instead of two. American torpedoes were such great copies of German ones that they also copied the defects. One outstanding defect was the fact that the torpedoes tended to run much deeper than set and passed under their targets. The solution was to set them to run on the surface and then you got hits.

So I set mine to run on the surface, actually higher than default. Even so they'll sneak under a lot of DDs but I know that whatever else I aim at will go boom!

Last edited by Onkel Neal; 08-18-15 at 07:16 PM. Reason: No one likes New Coke
Old 08-31-15, 06:13 PM   #11
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Default The Dick O'Kane Blindfolded Shot!

Okay guys, what's the greatest danger while you're setting up a shot? What can happen that will take away that shot, especially in the daytime?

Number one that comes to mind is getting your scope spotted. I just set up an attack like this: spotted a bogey on radar. Plotted the position, set a stopwatch for 3 minutes, marked that position. Gave me a speed of 10 knots and a course of 155º. So I extended the course past my sub. Waited about 10 minutes and observed his position a bit south of my projected track, so I adjusted the track. Ten minutes later he was still on the track, so I considered that I had his course and speed cold.

Then I maneuvered my sub to be 1000 yards off the track at right angles, a Dick O'Kane attack, with TDC set speed:10 knots, AoB 80º starboard. shoot bearing 350 and range at 1300 yards (not critical). What did I do next?

I set speed to half a knot and submerged to 90'. According to stock rules your tubes won't open at 100' of deeper, a gross innacuracy and I believe TMO is 150' still too shallow as fish were fired from as deep as 200' during the war and that was the target depth for shooting a Cutie. But 90' will get the job done. The important thing is that you don't get the message "too deep to fire torpedoes" when you go to open the tubes!

Now you just watch the sonar bearing. Set torpedoes to run fast, on the surface and magnetic exploder just for fun. Now we wait. No scope up. We're on the nav map screen or attack map screen. I prefer the attack map screen so I can see the torpedo controls. I like to shoot with the mouse and use the w key to switch tubes and shoot 2. I use TMOKeys so your keys may be different.

Watch the bearing and when it's at 348, shoot one. And when 352 shoot one. Kablooey! And he never had the chance to see you. You were 90' deep and nowhere to be seen.
Old 09-02-15, 06:52 AM   #12
DrBeast
The Old Man

Downloads: 36

RR, do we have an ETA on that manual targeting video?

Let the Beast inside you free!
DrBeast is offline   Reply With Quote