SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-05-17, 02:40 PM   #1
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargamel View Post
And looking at the Falcon Gold on Steam, holy crap I don't remember the graphics being that bad LOL.

And they are asking for a 1.8ghz processor minimum. I ran mine on a 66 mhz 386 back then.

Well, I think Falcon Gold has Falcon 4.0 included right? So that may be why there are higher CPU specs?
Old 04-05-17, 03:28 PM   #2
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threadfin View Post
Well, I think Falcon Gold has Falcon 4.0 included right? So that may be why there are higher CPU specs?
Yes, I think it's that - I don't remember how it's packaged on Steam, but on GoG it's packaged in an odd way (probably for licensing reasons) - it's sold as a pack of Falcon (1.5) Gold, Falcon 2.0, and Falcon 3.0 all together, with Falcon 4.0 being a "bonus item" rather than a core part of the package. F4's license status has been a bit of a mess for a while, so I think everyone (not the least the BMS) team prefer to stay as low-key about dealing with it as possible - although I'm sure that the success of BMS is part of the reason it has gone back on sale now.

But I think you're also right that the specs are higher than you remember for Falcon 4.0 - I'll have to look at my original manual when I get home, but I think when it shipped, it listed a 233 MHz Pentium II as minimum. Considering how horridly unoptimized on release it was though, 1.8 GHz would've been much more realistic I played the thing for at least 5 years on systems waaay below that 1.8 GHz spec though! First on a 400 MHz Celeron, then an 800 MHz Pentium III. I even managed to be part of an online squadron for years - on laggy 56k dialup!

Man, those were the days

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-17, 04:23 PM   #3
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Downloads: 81

IIRC, Gold was the last expansion of the 3.0 series. I believe that the gold on steam doesn't include 4, might be wrong though.

I got to laughing today in the car, realizing I had posted a recount of a single mission I flew about 25 years ago in a game.

I then realized I remember other games, like in the dial up head to head dog fight tourny I was in. I had my wings holed by his cannon, and was losing fuel quickly. I ran out of gas, and had to dive to gain speed, he followed me down to the deck, but I was able to pull up better than he was, and he crashed before I did, giving me the win.

Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-17, 07:16 PM   #4
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Well, you have to admit - if you can still remember missions you played 25 years ago, chances are it was a pretty good game after all

I never actually got to play Falcon 3 - it was just a little bit before my time. Perhaps I should actually install it now that I have the pack of them from GoG.

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-17, 11:52 AM   #5
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38

We are flying BMS a lot these days. We have a dedicated campaign server and have a good old time. Of course you have to install 4.0 to use BMS now. I had snapped a couple of shots to compare the old and the new. Quite frankly, original Falcon 4 still holds up well. When I attach pics here they explode to massive size, so I will just link the post from SimHQ comparing the old and new 'pits.

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.ph...ey#Post4336731

Last edited by Threadfin; 04-06-17 at 12:21 PM.
Threadfin is offline   Reply With Quote