Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-22-19, 12:16 PM   #1
[bbs]
Nub

Downloads: 16
Uploads: 0
Default Decisions, decisions ...

I posted this over in the Discord, but I feel this will be hitting a wider(beamier) audience.

OK, I just recently got the Silent Hunter pack from Steam during their Lunar sale. It gives me Steam versions of SH3, 4, 4WP and 5. Here are my questions:

Which of the 3 different versions should I take the time to setup?
Is there a good, current guide for getting it to playable? I say that because I was looking on the forums and there was a bunch of cyclic references, for this click here, then when I get there it says click this link and bam I'm back where I started from.

And finally, I have current hardware, run Win 10, and am fortunate to have a 1440p monitor, so would prefer to scale to that aspect ratio at a minimum if possible.

I have played 3 and 4 in the distant past and am excited to "renew the vows" with sub sims, and am looking to you all for recommendations to the best path for going below. Thanks!
[bbs] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-19, 02:46 PM   #2
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

And now I'll give you some answers that you might not need, might not want, and might not do any good at all. But I'll try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [bbs] View Post
Which of the 3 different versions should I take the time to setup?
As I always say whenever I answer the same question about mods, the answer is the same: It depends on what you want.

Do you want the full U-Boat experience, with Type II, Type VII, Type IX and Type XX! u-boats? SH3 is the only way to go. Yes, the graphics are dated, but it turns out that is part of the charm. There are a variety of supermods available, with each one providing something different. There are hundreds of add-on mods available, and most of them can be made to work together, so it can be an amazing experience.

If you want to play American subs in the Pacific, SH4 is the only game available, unless you want to play the original Silent Hunter from 1996. There has been some negative feedback, not because the game is worse (it's quite a bit better) but because it's not u-boats. There are many of us who like the American subs. If you're one of us SH4 is a good way to go.

I'm not sure what 4WP is, unless it refers to the U-Boats add-on for SH4. If so, it's a great game as well, especially with the Operation Monsun supermod. Unfortunately it never got the modding attention that SH3 did, so while it's actually a better game than SH3, it does leave a lot out.

SH5 had great ambitions, but many of them were wrong-headed and left us with a game that is neither sim nor game, and seeming to have the worst of both. That said, The Wolves of Steel supermod fixes the vast majority of its problems and those who play it consistently defend it as being the best of all WW2 submarine games. TWoS is the only mod that does all this, but it does it well, and it's organized for one-stop shopping, so you only have to load the game, load the mod and you're good to go. The thing that keeps me from playing it is the lack of any type of u-boat except the Type VII. Granted, you have the VIIa, VIIb, VIIc and derivatives, so if that's what you want it provides it in spades.

Quote:
Is there a good, current guide for getting it to playable? I say that because I was looking on the forums and there was a bunch of cyclic references, for this click here, then when I get there it says click this link and bam I'm back where I started from.
While the games themselves are lacking most of the major supermods come with careful and detailed manuals. Further, this is SubSim after all. You will find no lack of people willing to help any way they can. This includes helping with the problem you described.

As to widescreen performance, except for SH3 they all come with that capability built in. There are widescreen mods available for SH3, and they work to varying degrees. I don't like any of them, and just adjusted myself until I'm comfortable with it.

Most importantly, ask questions. Without that you'll never get any answers. Be apart of the community. You may not think you have anything to offer, but much of the time just knowing there are people willing to talk to us is enough to refresh our own love for these games and helping others play them.
Old 02-22-19, 03:37 PM   #3
[bbs]
Nub

Downloads: 16
Uploads: 0

Thank you Sailor Steve, what a great, comprehensive way to start and guide the responses. Initially, my intent is to just get the ball rolling and not worry to much about super realism. That being said, I'm not looking for arcade mode either. I remember SH4 fondly, and yes 4WP was meant to indicate Wolves of the Pacific. Someone else recommended SH3 for its smaller theater of operation, making it easier to get "stuck in". Like anyone I do want the best visual experience I can get, but that is certainly second to quality of game play.

I do like the progression of quality of subs, starting small and graduating up the line, that has it's rewards. Is SH5 still a FPS kind of experience or is it more optional? I found that running around all the time was a little too much busy work.
[bbs] is offline   Reply With Quote