SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-18-15, 10:28 PM   #1
Zeus_Faber
Swabbie

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Troubleshooting My Search Methods?

After a few weeks on patrol, LCDR Friday's beginner's luck has run out. I keep getting contact reports of enemy traffic. If they are very far away, I won't bother; too many variables in a possible intercept. I got one recently that was about 100 miles out. I drew a circle centered on the reported position of the convoy. They were travelling at "slow" speed, so it should take about 15 hours to reach the edge of the 105 mile circle I drew. I aimed my boat well ahead of the contact, as we were travelling at about the same speed (I usually run at 2/3, I speeded up to Standard to gain a lead). At the end of my run, I put down a search pattern around the projected course of the contact; Unless they changed course, they should have run right through the middle of my search. I never saw 'em. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Ron
Zeus_Faber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-15, 10:44 PM   #2
Crannogman
Watch Officer

Downloads: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus_Faber View Post
After a few weeks on patrol, LCDR Friday's beginner's luck has run out. I keep getting contact reports of enemy traffic. If they are very far away, I won't bother; too many variables in a possible intercept. I got one recently that was about 100 miles out. I drew a circle centered on the reported position of the convoy. They were travelling at "slow" speed, so it should take about 15 hours to reach the edge of the 105 mile circle I drew. I aimed my boat well ahead of the contact, as we were travelling at about the same speed (I usually run at 2/3, I speeded up to Standard to gain a lead). At the end of my run, I put down a search pattern around the projected course of the contact; Unless they changed course, they should have run right through the middle of my search. I never saw 'em. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Ron
Did you get a radio alert for the convoy? Those usually give the speed. For route prediction, I draw a line from the tail of the convoy through its center and on ahead. But 100 miles is still a long way; my best was in the 50-mile range. Make sure to be using your hydrophones (submerge if your class requires), as this gives you a much better detection radius.
I'll often run out a good distance ahead and zig-zag back in the direction of the contact location. More often, I sit along major shipping routes or in chokepoints; the contact reports are most useful for establishing well-travelled routes.
Old 02-18-15, 11:07 PM   #3
thegrindre
Engineer

Downloads: 55
Uploads: 1

It is also possible that the convoy was at or near the end of its spawn. 100 miles (15hrs) is a long time.

Intel core 2 duo @ 2.33GHz
nVidia Gforce 8800 GTX 768mb
4 gigs ram w/4 gig virtual memory
Windows XP Pro w/SP 3
on a 32 bit system
At my age, 'Happy Hour' is a nap!
thegrindre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-15, 01:58 PM   #4
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrindre View Post
It is also possible that the convoy was at or near the end of its spawn. 100 miles (15hrs) is a long time.

this is most likely it, randomly spawned things stay spawned for long, usually 24 hours is the maximum time they stay in the game unless its some special circumstance so assuming the time it takes to find them, figure you have 12 hours to set up an attack at best and beyond that they could disappear at any time
Old 02-19-15, 02:08 PM   #5
Sniper297
The Old Man

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 19

Main thing is to look at the time of the contact report, if it was more than 12 hours ago you might as well forget it.

If it's a new one, some simple math and geometry works. Figure 10 knots as an average, in 5 hours it will have moved 50 miles, in 24 hours 240 miles. Draw the course line, then measure off several points for where he should be (unless he changes course) 4 hours from now, 8 hours from now, 12 hours from now, etc. Then measure off an intercept course that will put you 10 to 20 miles ahead of him when you reach the course line, the angle will depend on your speed.

After that you turn to the reciprocal course (opposite his heading) and if you don't have SJ radar set up a zigzag 10 miles either side of the reciprocal course.
Sniper297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-15, 11:09 PM   #6
Zeus_Faber
Swabbie

Downloads: 0

Thanks, guys.

Ron
Zeus_Faber is offline   Reply With Quote