SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-11-15, 11:43 AM   #16
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364
Uploads: 0

I had this problem and maybe we discussed it before. When I made my env. for myself and a few others, I played with waves and obvious had the problem that bigger waves sank ships. I don't mind this effect, but I only wanted to see heavy seas during storms, not clear skies. IMO, waves that sink ships should happen during storms only. I also didn't like the heavy fog in every storm, but that can be somewhat adjusted. I think I finally adjusted my waves to more rolling swells, the ships seemed to rollover them better and all but the smallest ships stayed afloat....Course the goal to get natural as possible looking waves and movement in a old game...I found swells to look more realistic to choppiness due to no wind direction connected, choppy waves in high wind , I couldn't get realistic looking enuf....

Sadly, we don't have switches we can put our hands on that that limit winds in weather types...

One thing I was gonna try was to see if I could add more weather types. I deplore the same 3 basic looks....

These two were what I was using. Think the first one was wave look 10ms, the second 15ms

After almost a year with no SH4, due to my PC getting fried and gave up gaming and just used my laptop to surf the net, just got a new PC, so will be loading the game back up soon...

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Last edited by Armistead; 01-11-15 at 11:58 AM.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-15, 07:17 PM   #17
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Dave View Post
Are the seas supposed to be this crazy?
The short answer is yes.

The long answer is that there are a lot of limitations to the game. All of Armistead's points are good ones.

• There should be wind speeds higher than 15 m/s, but there aren't.
  • There should be a connection between storms and wind, but there isn't.
  • There should be better modeling of wave/ship interaction, but there isn't.
  • We should be able to change weather types, but we can't.
The reason I have waves high like I do for ISP, is not that I love huge waves that much, but that I want realistic effects. The subs speed loss is mostly a function of how much they are pushed up and down. If the waves aren't big enough to do this, they won't have much effect. I don't know of any other way to put significant operational effects into the game.

In the book I'm reading, one of the patrols of the Pollack was a complete bust. Part of the reason was that they had to wallow around in heavy seas for days on end. The author states they could not make more than 3 knots, and naturally fuel was a concern. If you are constrained in the game to having only 'normal' waves, this would never happen. You could cruise around from start to finish with very little thought given to fuel, speed loss, or such matters.

I would have preferred that the ships be a little more durable, and not sink below, say 14.5 m/s or 15 m/s, but since very bad weather would more or less prevent gun and torpedo attacks anyway, I do not see this as a terrible problem.

TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-15, 08:46 PM   #18
Armistead
Rear Admiral

I think adding more weather types may be possible, but still no way to connect it to weather. I loved my waves in storms, even redid the storm sounds to be more intense...just hated massive ways when the skies are perfectly clear for days.... Just a simply switch we could access would've been an env game saver.

Same with fog, why not no fog in heavy rain or just light rain...they put it in the game, but never connected the pieces in code...

In the end, as Duci told me once, big can of worms to open with the waves and ship connections and can't please everyone...I actually had run creating different wave patterns, heck, even got it to where I was getting rogue waves, but they hit about every 1000 yards, so not so rogue...Just not enough in this game to get everything right.....

Get the game loaded torp, since lurker said he didn't care about using rsrd, we should do a improved version of it...I've about got 80% done when my PC fried...bubble had some parts he was working on and heard from him the other day...

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.
Old 01-11-15, 09:39 PM   #19
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armistead View Post
Same with fog, why not no fog in heavy rain or just light rain...they put it in the game, but never connected the pieces in code...
Yes, it is frustrating that the code could handle a lot more than it does, if only they had finished things better.

Quote:
In the end, as Duci told me once, big can of worms to open with the waves and ship connections and can't please everyone...
That's for sure.

Quote:
Get the game loaded torp, since lurker said he didn't care about using rsrd, we should do a improved version of it...I've about got 80% done when my PC fried...bubble had some parts he was working on and heard from him the other day...
I've never looked inside RSRDC; I like being surprised, and have yet to finish the war. Do you mean adding to RSRD or doing an extensive rework?

I was thinking that it would be great if someone could persuade tater to release his merchant ship mod, or as much as was finished. I know he had problems with some of them, that he was never able to fix. Then a new version of RSRDC could integrate them into it, maybe?

Old 01-11-15, 10:01 PM   #20
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpX View Post
Yes, it is frustrating that the code could handle a lot more than it does, if only they had finished things better.

That's for sure.

I've never looked inside RSRDC; I like being surprised, and have yet to finish the war. Do you mean adding to RSRD or doing an extensive rework?

I was thinking that it would be great if someone could persuade tater to release his merchant ship mod, or as much as was finished. I know he had problems with some of them, that he was never able to fix. Then a new version of RSRDC could integrate them into it, maybe?

Well, the problem I had with RSRD is to change it, you have to update almost every file, so to make a mod for it, would be basically reloading RSRD on top of itself. Simply editing all the crew ratings...you've touched a large part of it. So basically you wouldn't need RSRD, just another version of it that includes it...

Main thing I did was add more ships and used them historically in the game, like the Nagato. Added a lot more traffic that was random to help screw up the always perfect scripted groups...Added more convoys... Put a lot of killer sub groups in the traffic lands with long contact times, so if you got spotted, they may show up a day later looking for you....and these groups are the bad boys with elite ratings... Made most the ports very hard to get into, more patrols, lots of fishing boats that will report you, shore guns everywhere, etc.
Main thing I was finishing up was the special missions. Trav help me figure how to do rescues, where you actually save people on rafts fleeing the enemy. The special missions really add to it as many in RSRD don't work and you hardly get any. I made one to photo recon Truk...even knowing it, it took me a dozen tries to complete it and I barely got out alive...

I also raped all the parts of Travs mod I liked and used my envs.

I was gonna play with scripting weather from the ME instead of scene.dat. Gives you the option and I think I finally figured how it works...but didn't get to test it enuf,...

Same old story been talked about a lot...taking all the parts of good mods people like and trying to get them in one mod....

Old 01-11-15, 10:51 PM   #21
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210

at times ... yes ... I was in the Navy.

Seas can be a weird thing.

I have seen sunny days that were just beautiful except for the 20 foot swells. I have also seen perfectly calm seas with it raining horizontally.

As noted by some maritime sailors ... the sea is truly a Mistress of ill temperament and constantly changing disposition.

Even at 150 feet there can be days where the sea moves on about due to her despondent attitude towards those who traverse her body.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-15, 11:36 PM   #22
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Nice pics!

Quote:
Even at 150 feet there can be days where the sea moves on about due to her despondent attitude towards those who traverse her body.
That was something I would have liked to fix. In SHCE, you would be slowed at p/d; maybe it works that way in SH3? That would add a lot to the game; slowing at shallow depth; maybe a risk of broaching...
Old 04-19-15, 10:01 PM   #23
donaldEpott
Swabbie

Downloads: 73

one of the problems is the subs dont pitch and roll enough. I really dont like to see subs above the water as much as they get in high seas in game it just dosnt seem that realistic.
donaldEpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-15, 02:17 AM   #24
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Have you tried ISP?
Old 04-23-15, 08:14 AM   #25
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210