SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-09-15, 01:49 AM   #16
Hambone307
Planesman

Downloads: 93
Uploads: 0

Ok, last night I got a ~480 yd shot on a Nippon Maru. Impact pistol and set at low speed. Two solid hits with detonations. Amazingly it was while shooting at a 90 deg. track running east to west. Figured I would run a quick test for the O.P. while I had her lined up.

Edit: Mods are TMO, RSRD, Improved ship physics, and Improved stock environment. (If I remember correctly)
Old 12-09-15, 04:37 PM   #17
chadwicknight
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkerov View Post
If you go to the submaine loadout screen and click on a mk14 that should show you information including arming distance.

From memory I think its 450 yards (411m)
This
chadwicknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-15, 05:35 PM   #18
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

chadwicknight!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-15, 09:41 AM   #19
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Welcome

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-16, 04:19 PM   #20
Gunther Hessler
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 48
Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkerov View Post
If you go to the submaine loadout screen and click on a mk14 that should show you information including arming distance.

From memory I think its 450 yards (411m)
Hi, if you go to edit sh4\data\upcdata\upcunitsdata\ammunition.upc fill these fields "info" and "notes" "[Ammunition 9] ID=Mk14Torpedo NameDisplayable= Mark 14 Torpedo Type= AmmoTorpedo Subtype=Mk14TorpUS AmmunitionIntervalOptionCurrent= NULL, NULL, 0 AmmunitionIntervalOptions1= 1931-01-01, 1950-12-31, 0 Volume= 1 PackSize=1 Info= Notes=" like Info=Mk14TorpInfo Notes=Mk14TorpNotes you will see notes on game, on mission PS: bug in stock game
Gunther Hessler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-16, 08:47 PM   #21
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

Gunther Hessler! 450 yards: An arming impeller was an additional safety device: the firing pin could not move until the torpedo had travelled a preset distance. The Mark 6 exploder was a big problem for the mark 14 torpedo. http://www.wikiwand.com/en/Mark_6_exploder & http://archive.hnsa.org/doc/torpedo/#pg17

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 08-27-16 at 09:15 PM.
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-16, 10:47 PM   #22
Gray Lensman
Frogman

Downloads: 104

Since I use the O'Kane constant bearing method, I try for around 600 yards because sometimes when I raise the scope for the final firing observation, the target has slipped "inside" the planned setting to less than anticipated. If set to 500, you might be cutting it really close if it slips inside 450. Since my final scope firing observation is 10 degrees before firing, there just isn't usually enough time to reset the TDC.

Last edited by Gray Lensman; 08-28-16 at 12:24 AM.
Gray Lensman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-16, 06:51 AM   #23
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Welcome to SubSim Gunther

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-16, 08:20 AM   #24
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
Since I use the O'Kane constant bearing method, I try for around 600 yards because sometimes when I raise the scope for the final firing observation, the target has slipped "inside" the planned setting to less than anticipated. If set to 500, you might be cutting it really close if it slips inside 450. Since my final scope firing observation is 10 degrees before firing, there just isn't usually enough time to reset the TDC.
And if you're too close you can reset all you want but you're just going to hear a couple of thuds instead of nice satisfying booms. I like to be 500 yards away, but if I'm not confident in my plot I'll back off to 600 too.

Also, if you're unlucky enough that the target zigs toward, usually a great thing, and you're set up for 500 yards, suddenly he's too close for you to shoot and you have to not only set up your TDC but reposition the boat again. He just hit the reset button!
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-16, 10:23 AM   #25
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

one thing i'll add is if its a warship and the ship is coming right at you, especially a DD, you should fire no less then 600 or you risk a dud because the time it takes to get there the distance is closing and even firing at 600 it may only travel 400 before hitting the ship and 400 is that grey area where they may not arm in time
Old 08-28-16, 04:54 PM   #26
Gray Lensman
Frogman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
And if you're too close you can reset all you want but you're just going to hear a couple of thuds instead of nice satisfying booms. I like to be 500 yards away, but if I'm not confident in my plot I'll back off to 600 too.

Also, if you're unlucky enough that the target zigs toward, usually a great thing, and you're set up for 500 yards, suddenly he's too close for you to shoot and you have to not only set up your TDC but reposition the boat again. He just hit the reset button!
Speaking of zigs... The other day I encountered a single medium speed merchant doing a "corkscrew" zig zag pattern in game, a constant shifting from left to right to left to right (no really discernible short straight legs). What a bear it was to plan an approach for. I finally gave up and ran in to my normal 600 yards as it swung out and fired a rare (for me) 2 torpedo spread, only one of which hit, but even that one surprised me.

I was fascinated that this game would go into that much detail.
Old 08-28-16, 07:57 PM   #27
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

If they spot you a target will go stark raving crazy!
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-16, 11:21 PM   #28
Gray Lensman
Frogman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
If they spot you a target will go stark raving crazy!
I'm pretty sure they did not spot me. They were doing this "corkscrew" zigzag from the moment I spotted them at pitch black night greater than 8000 yards bow on. I had just read of a zig zag pattern like this in one of several books I have recently been perusing. Trying to find the relevant passage now.

Member since February 2007

Wargaming since 1971 (1st game Avalon Hill's Stalingrad)

Hobby/Gaming Computng since 1977 (TRS-80) (adhoc programming & game modding ever since)
Old 09-04-16, 02:51 AM   #29
Gibus
Ensign

Downloads: 42

Bonjour,

Without contradicting anything that has been written, I would like to point out that the distance between the target is from the periscope but not from the launch tube.
Simply subtract about fifty meters to the measurement for a real distance.

"Pacific is a big ocean. You don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
Dick O'Kane

Last edited by Gibus; 09-04-16 at 03:06 AM.
Gibus is offline   Reply With Quote