SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-28-15, 01:29 PM   #1
the_frog
Commander

Downloads: 17
Uploads: 0
Default Leader-type destroyers

Hello,

here's another model I recently completed. It's a spin-off of the meanwhile shelved "V&W destroyers, all variants" project:

It presents the Scott & Shakespeare classes as well as the very similar Spanish Churruca and Argentine Mendoza classes. It is mainly built along the line of the Scott class, with some features of the Shakespeare and Churruca classes.
The main intention is to give Spain and Argentine some distinct vessels but I also included roster files for Britain and Australia. The model does not cover the Romanian Regele Ferdinand class, since more different. The 2nd group of the Churrucas (with more modern guns) is covered by an equipment layout.
The textures cover the plain colour schemes of the Spanish and Argentine navies plus some basic scheme for RN and RAN vessels. So, no fancy camouflage patters

http://www.mediafire.com/download/r2.../NDD_Leader.7z

Cheers -- the Frog
the_frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-15, 02:48 PM   #2
Scout614
Bosun

Downloads: 18

Frog you never cease to amaze me. I should transfer to the surface navy.
Scout614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-15, 03:48 PM   #3
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 12

Very nice work, the_frog!

I assume this ship can also be used to replace the stock V&W class destroyer or wouldn't this make sense?

Regards, LGN1
LGN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-15, 05:58 PM   #4
the_frog
Commander

@scout614: for playable ships the level of detail is not high enough (my opinion)

@LGN1: ... these ships were originally intended as leaders of the V&W flotillas ...
Old 02-28-15, 06:59 PM   #5
Scout614
Bosun

Downloads: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_frog View Post
@scout614: for playable ships the level of detail is not high enough (my opinion)

@LGN1: ... these ships were originally intended as leaders of the V&W flotillas ...
Completely agree oh well
Scout614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-15, 01:14 PM   #6
Borgneface
Captain

Downloads: 657

Another fantastic work! Thank you The_Frog. I really hope to be able to set up my pc very soon and at last replay...I keep storing all these new ships .....for the big day!

Merci again
Old 03-02-15, 04:33 PM   #7
makman94
Hellas

Downloads: 182
Uploads: 7

so nice !!!

thank you very much for sharing, The_frog

Mediafire page:http://www.mediafire.com/folder/da50.../Makman94_Mods
makman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-15, 05:33 PM   #8
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Great work

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-15, 03:42 PM   #9
the_frog
Commander

Thanks for the kind words.

... and if someone has an image of the 1940/41 camouflage pattern of the Scrap Iron Flotilla's leader, HMAS Stuart, at hand, please let me know. I never have seen it; I guess it resembled HMAS Waterhen's camouflage.
Old 03-03-15, 04:49 PM   #10
JapLance
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Thanks for the kind words.

... and if someone has an image of the 1940/41 camouflage pattern of the Scrap Iron Flotilla's leader, HMAS Stuart, at hand, please let me know. I never have seen it; I guess it resembled HMAS Waterhen's camouflage.
This tiny bit is the only one I have in my HD:

Not sure where did I get it from. Probably in one of those searches through Google Images, but I couldn't find it again. Not even 100% sure it is HMAS Stuart.

EDIT: just found out this: https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/P00219.011 , which would confirm it's really HMAS Stuart.

And, as promised in the other thread, the Spanish copy of the Scotts, the Churruca class, in SH4:

Last edited by JapLance; 03-03-15 at 05:29 PM.
Old 03-03-15, 08:28 PM   #11
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

Very good; they look like the last DD's produced by Britain before the end of WWI.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-15, 04:20 PM   #12
the_frog
Commander

@JapLance:

Thanks for the picture + link. Great!! Now, I can do create my version of the Scrap Iron Flotilla
You applied flags and pennant uising an AO map, right? Is Ch the pennant of the 2nd Churrura? And wasn't that a group 1 vessel (with old guns)?

@Iambecomelife:

Right, the Scott class was the last class of RN destroyers, entering service during the final months of WWI. The lead ship was sunk by SM UC 17 15 August 1918.
Old 03-05-15, 03:06 AM   #13
JapLance
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
@JapLance:

Thanks for the picture + link. Great!! Now, I can do create my version of the Scrap Iron Flotilla
You applied flags and pennant uising an AO map, right? Is Ch the pennant of the 2nd Churrura? And wasn't that a group 1 vessel (with old guns)?
No, everything is painted on top of your skin. I had to tweak the 3D model and the original texture (a few portholes were deleted) so the other side doesn't look mirrored, and use it only for the Spanish ships. My idea was to paint the other side pennant somewhere else on the texture, but I found out there were no empty places , so I had to use this solution.

Correct, CH is for Churruca.

Spanish Churrucas lost the gun between the funnels during the SCW (to arm the new units entering service), and it was replaced by a second 76mm in some cases, or some light AA in others. The shield of the 4.7in guns was changed to a full one after the war. Not a different gun, but just the protection for the crew.

There were a few more visual changes (Tripod main mast, rear mast eliminated, new director, funnel cap, torpedo tubes etc), but that would take much longer to do.

An example of a WW2 time Churruca, Almirante Miranda:

Old 03-05-15, 04:46 PM   #14
the_frog
Commander

Looking at the Wikipedia picture of José Luis Díez (DZ) (series 1) I finally released that those were not the later Model F guns but just old ones fitted with box-type shields.
Well, and the series 2 had not only different guns but also in many other details.

All that could have been considered but would have required doing several (slightly) different models. Instead, I decided for one generic version
Old 03-06-15, 02:28 AM   #15
JapLance
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I understand perfectly. I'm more than happy with the version you have released.

I noticed all this in the Spanish ships only because they are the ones I was most interested in. I guess that if you take a good look at the Argentinian ships, there will also be differences that would possibly justify another model, and then the modernizations after 20 years in British service... You could possibly have to craft 4 or more different models.

A generic one is a perfect compromise, and an excellent job, as usual .