SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-27-14, 01:56 PM   #241
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

That's a nice low price for the plan. Where do you work that they don't allow phones?
Old 09-27-14, 02:07 PM   #242
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

^ Yeah that! I'm just one step ahead of you using an old 'unsupported' Mitsubishi-Stiil have an old Gel battery handset from the early 90's on the boat for its greater power...from before Verizon was Verizon! My older phone is actually more useful and can connect when we're 'off the grid on a remote location for movie shoots; all those smart phones aint so smart! Every one in the crew has to borrow mine to call for more porta-pottie units or to direct the caterer in to feed the crew etc...essential logistics on a production or they'll strike! I tried a newer phone but the speakers wouldn't allow me to hear-I'm deaf- so it just sits charging in the auto console . I always can call 911 even though it's not activated. I Bluetooth to a visor speaker for better hearing and hands free- a big ticket offense in CA! $55.00 per month: 1000 minutes free and unlimited texts...I m a customer since the '80's, so I'm 'grandfathered' in on my plan! EDIT: my wife and daughter are the smartphone users...they inform me what I need to Know...when I need to know it! Saves me a lot of 21st century aggravation!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 09-27-14 at 04:06 PM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-14, 04:00 PM   #243
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I'm still using the same LG 900G I reported two years ago, and I'm still paying $15 for 200 minutes. My average talk time per month is less than five minutes, and I have almost 3000 backed up because they do rollovers.
Old 09-28-14, 07:30 AM   #244
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
^ Yeah that! I'm just one step ahead of you using an old 'unsupported' Mitsubishi-Stiil have an old Gel battery handset from the early 90's on the boat for its greater power...from before Verizon was Verizon! My older phone is actually more useful and can connect when we're 'off the grid on a remote location for movie shoots; all those smart phones aint so smart! Every one in the crew has to borrow mine to call for more porta-pottie units or to direct the caterer in to feed the crew etc...essential logistics on a production or they'll strike! I tried a newer phone but the speakers wouldn't allow me to hear-I'm deaf- so it just sits charging in the auto console . I always can call 911 even though it's not activated. I Bluetooth to a visor speaker for better hearing and hands free- a big ticket offense in CA! $55.00 per month: 1000 minutes free and unlimited texts...I m a customer since the '80's, so I'm 'grandfathered' in on my plan! EDIT: my wife and daughter are the smartphone users...they inform me what I need to Know...when I need to know it! Saves me a lot of 21st century aggravation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
I'm still using the same LG 900G I reported two years ago, and I'm still paying $15 for 200 minutes. My average talk time per month is less than five minutes, and I have almost 3000 backed up because they do rollovers.

Hey, there's a lot to be said for getting the max use out of a piece of equipment. I am not planning to change phones any time soon.
Old 10-06-14, 10:50 AM   #245
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Great news! Verizon (and Sprint, ATT) are offering double the data this month for existing plans.

http://www.toptechnews.com/article/i...d=003000CCWVD3

So, instead of struggling to get by with 10GB a month, they bumped me up to 30GB for the same monthly fee! Whee!

Yeah, I know, that's actually 3X increase, I guess my account was one they wanted to keep, I pay on time each month...
Old 10-06-14, 11:06 AM   #246
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post
, I pay on time each month...
That'll keep up yer credit rating!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-15, 09:01 AM   #247
Lionclaw
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5

A look inside a HTC Wildfire S.

Lionclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-15, 07:25 PM   #248
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Wow. It's amazing, but these phone are really micro-computers that can make calls.
Old 04-28-15, 07:35 PM   #249
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

LG announced its G4.... looks like a superb device, but the G3 was bigger than the G2, and it keeps getting bigger
http://www.anandtech.com/show/9199/l...snapdragon-808

Guess I'll stick with my trusty G2.
Old 06-07-15, 12:08 PM   #250
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Well, I've dropped my trusty G2 a few times in the last month, and now several spots on the touch screen no longer work I have to turn the phone sideways for those spots, turn it back for others... may be upgrading sooner than expected.
Old 07-05-15, 12:47 PM   #251
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Now running the LG G3. Basically, a G2 with removable battery and faster processor.
Old 08-28-15, 03:33 PM   #252
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

I run a Moto X (2013 model) on Republic Wireless. This guy switches all access to wireless when available and not watching my use at all I'm under half a gig per month of cell data use.

My plan starts out at $25 for 1 gig cell data, unlimited everything else and I get rebated at full retail for every byte I don't use of cell data. My bill last month: $15. I can buy as much data as I want for cheap if I'm going where there's no such thing as a wireless signal (where in the world would THAT be) and I get rebated full retail for every byte of add-on data that I don't use too.

I'm on wireless just about all the time but drive time. Republic is so far the least amount I can pay for the most benefit that nothing else comes close. If you must use 10 GB a month cell data I don't know if it would still be cheapest but surely worth checking out.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-15, 03:51 PM   #253
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Quote:
This guy switches all access to wireless when available and not watching my use at all I'm under half a gig per month of cell data use.
That's a useful feature. I'm on a 30GB data plan at $200 a month, because managing Subsim from the road, it's the only option.
Old 10-12-15, 02:50 PM   #254
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post
That's a useful feature. I'm on a 30GB data plan at $200 a month, because managing Subsim from the road, it's the only option.
Yup and navigation will eat up data as well and you can't go without that when you're on the road.
Old 11-04-15, 02:02 PM   #255
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

By the way, it seems that the media is very fond of poo-pooing the LG G4 cell phone. But if you like cameras, its camera outperforms my Kodak DX 6490 in all points. Yes, the cell phone has a lot more megapixels, but megapixels is almost irrelevant to camera quality.

With full manual settings, my LG G4 has even more adjustment than my stand-alone camera. It has no optical zoom but with 16 megapixels vs 4, I can zoom a long way digitally without giving up resolution.

Where it comes in impressively is the full manual settings on the camera, white balance, manual focus (!!!), a plus or minus brightness control, adjustable ISO, selectable shutter speed between 1/6000 and 30 seconds (you read that right. Read it again). You have burst mode, on screen level indicator, touch to focus (if you want), image stabilization.....I'm leaving stuff out, I know it. The iPhone WISHES its camera were in the same century as this one. The newest Samsung cameras are equal or better on automatic settings only. But if you're a camera afficianato, this one is light years better. Actually, in this case it's 2 million light years better to M-31, a bit more than that to M-33.

Let's put it this way: probably the first cell phone photo in history of two galaxies, M-31 (Andromeda Galaxy) and M-33 (Pinwheel Galaxy). I took this photo on a night where M-31 was not a naked eye object.

Here is a GIF showing all six individual shots and you can see the clouds wafting through the view as I took the photos. This camera can do much better than the above!

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 11-04-15 at 03:09 PM.

Tags
mobile, phone