SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-30-08, 10:43 PM   #436
skookum
Weps

Downloads: 35
Uploads: 0

OLC, do the degree marks on the OBS scope crosshair correspond to the marks on the wiz wheel in the attack scope? In otherwords, can I transfer measurments from the higher magnification OBS scope and use them with the wiz wheel?
Old 04-30-08, 10:52 PM   #437
Henri II
Sparky

Downloads: 47
Default Some questions

Hi, after a long SH3 pause I decided to give it another go with GWX and the OLC Übermod and so far I like it a lot. But I have two questions to wich I couldn't find answers so far, so if you have a minute ...

In the UZO there is a vertical scale which looks like it can be used to calculate the range to target. Is there some simple formula that can be used for this, or is it just "for show"?

In the UZO and both scope views there is a small white mark at the spot where the ships name appears once it is identified, does that serve some purpose? If not can it be removed somehow? It's not a big deal but if it doesn't have to be there I would like to get rid of it.
Henri II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-08, 10:58 PM   #438
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by skookum
OLC, do the degree marks on the OBS scope crosshair correspond to the marks on the wiz wheel in the attack scope? In otherwords, can I transfer measurments from the higher magnification OBS scope and use them with the wiz wheel?
No. Each mark in the attack scope is 1 degree. Each mark in the obs scope is half a degree. You can do the arithmetic and transfer between the scopes if you really want, though doing so somewhat defeats the purpose of installing the mod.
Old 04-30-08, 11:01 PM   #439
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri II
Hi, after a long SH3 pause I decided to give it another go with GWX and the OLC Übermod and so far I like it a lot. But I have two questions to wich I couldn't find answers so far, so if you have a minute ...

In the UZO there is a vertical scale which looks like it can be used to calculate the range to target. Is there some simple formula that can be used for this, or is it just "for show"?

RTFM

In the UZO and both scope views there is a small white mark at the spot where the ships name appears once it is identified, does that serve some purpose? If not can it be removed somehow? It's not a big deal but if it doesn't have to be there I would like to get rid of it.

Yes it serves a purpose.
Answers above in yellow.

Edit:
Perhaps you're not using the latest version - I only updated it yesterday, after all. In v2.0.x the Ubermod Players Guide has been updated with instructions on how to use the UZO marking lines. Basically, multiply the number on those lines by the mast value, and you've got the range.
Old 04-30-08, 11:42 PM   #440
Henri II
Sparky

Thanks, I was indeed still using 1.8. I love the new realistic contacts. I actually started to do exactly the same thing myself, you saved me from editing another 100 files or so.
Old 04-30-08, 11:43 PM   #441
treblesum81
Frogman

Downloads: 71

Noticed a couple small items since installing 2.0.1...

1) When clicking in the "quick-assignment" buttons in the crew management screen (surfaced cruise, submerged attack, etc...), I've noticed since upgrading to 2.0.1 that these seem to have lost function or at best are working erratically, and on more than one occasion in the last 4 hours clicking on one has led to CTD. I'm not sure if any changes were made to the files responsible for these, but I've not changed any other part of my installation other than replacing 1.8 (1 and 2) with 2.0.1 1 and 2, but not 3).

2) In the Nav map screen (sorry to come back to this again...), the small black marks that now represent ships are nearly invisible in the middle zoom levels. Perhaps they could be made to maintain a standard size across the zoom levels like the previous ship boxes and diamonds did? But, I must say I'm very pleased with the new bearing dial in place of my sub circle, I've already found it to be incredibly usefull, especially considering the GWX took away the directional trails for map contacts.

Thanks,
Greg
treblesum81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-08, 01:13 AM   #442
Philipp_Thomsen
Old Gang

Downloads: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by treblesum81
Noticed a couple small items since installing 2.0.1...

1) When clicking in the "quick-assignment" buttons in the crew management screen (surfaced cruise, submerged attack, etc...), I've noticed since upgrading to 2.0.1 that these seem to have lost function or at best are working erratically, and on more than one occasion in the last 4 hours clicking on one has led to CTD. I'm not sure if any changes were made to the files responsible for these, but I've not changed any other part of my installation other than replacing 1.8 (1 and 2) with 2.0.1 1 and 2, but not 3).

Thanks,
Greg
From the GWX 2.0 MANUAL

Quote:
Setting the crew configuration for ―surface cruise mode‖ in the crew management window (F7) will cause a crash to desktop (CTD). This is a stock Silent Hunter III bug, for which there is no workaround other than to arrange the locations of your crewmembers manually and avoid the use of the crew configuration buttons.
The GWX Team recommends not using the crew configuration buttons due to CTD risks
You guys have to learn to always RTFM!
Old 05-01-08, 01:31 AM   #443
mkubani
Lieutenant

Downloads: 0

Hi OLC,

this is what I mean. Check the red line over "Fire&amp". Maybe one pixel more of alpha channel?

mkubani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-08, 01:31 AM   #444
treblesum81
Frogman

Downloads: 71

Perhaps I didn't RTFM on this one, BUT, first of all, this is the first time I've experienced this particular error (I've used that particular button many times), and second, the other buttons no longer work.... i.e. If I click on submerged attack when I'm getting ready to do an attack, the button will move all of my fatigued crew (no, they are not all fatigued) from the bow / stern quarters to the electric engines compartment, radio room, and fore torpedo room... essentially stopping me dead in my attack plan tracks until I can go back and replace them all manually.

Edit: I will accept the fact that the Surface Cruise button may be originally bugged, but all of the other buttons worked up until this point.
treblesum81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-08, 03:46 AM   #445
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453

Quote:
Perhaps I didn't RTFM on this one, BUT, first of all, this is the first time I've experienced this particular error (I've used that particular button many times), and second, the other buttons no longer work.... i.e. If I click on submerged attack when I'm getting ready to do an attack, the button will move all of my fatigued crew (no, they are not all fatigued) from the bow / stern quarters to the electric engines compartment, radio room, and fore torpedo room... essentially stopping me dead in my attack plan tracks until I can go back and replace them all manually.

Edit: I will accept the fact that the Surface Cruise button may be originally bugged, but all of the other buttons worked up until this point.
You should consider yourself very lucky then. This bug has been reported may times since the sim first came out. It never was fixed in the patches and has plagued us ever since. Most all of us just ignore those buttons.

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-08, 04:08 AM   #446
Uber Gruber
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

@OLC

I've not loaded 2.0 yet but your logic sounds good, i'm glad you're appreciative of the need for situational awareness without GPS map updates. I was using the Modified Map Updates mod which basicly revealed a circle when you hovered your mouse in the vacinity of the ship on which your periscope was locked. This would mean you would have to get range and bearing and roughly plot it on the map to find the map point where the ship should be, hovering over this point revealed a circle which disapeared if you moved your mouse away. This might help Greg, or those trying to get to grips with the more realistic map updates, as it acts as confirmation that you've got the plot right.

Then again, maybe they should just work harder :rotfl:
Old 05-01-08, 04:11 AM   #447
Henri II
Sparky

Quote:
Originally Posted by HW3
Quote:

You should consider yourself very lucky then. This bug has been reported may times since the sim first came out. It never was fixed in the patches and has plagued us ever since. Most all of us just ignore those buttons.
Exactly, I've installed and reinstalled SH3 about a dozen times by now and those buttons never worked for me as intended.
Old 05-01-08, 05:17 AM   #448
Samwolf
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelifecrisis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samwolf
OLC,

Noticed some strange behavior with my submarine wakes and since your OLCE and Rubini's waterstream mods are the only ones I'm using that change the submarine .val files. I'd thought I'd ask here. I noticed that the U-boat doesn't leave a wake unless there's another ship also visible. If I go to external view while cruising around alone I only get the bow spray and a short propeller wake. If there is another ship around like in a harbor or a target, I get the normal wake alongside the U-boat and behind it. Any ideas?
Ask Rubini. The wakes are part of his mod.
Ok Thanks.

GWX 3, JSGME 2.3, Sh3 Commander 3.2 SH3 Gen 8.1, Water Stream for U-boats, LRT LITE 2.0, Lifeboats for SH3

Samwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-08, 05:48 AM   #449
rascal101
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 200
Default 2 questions re OLC Ubermod

Well here goes I hope I am not repeating a previous question.

I love the difference in graphic quality of this mod, but am having difficulty learning the TDC. I know there is a video tutorial but its difficult to refer to the tute when your in the game, is there an up to date, step by step walkthrough that can be printed and refered to when in game?

Failing that I found it very useful in the stock game to perform manual targetting and then check my results by asking the weapons officer, over time I got better at it and eventually wnet manual fulltime. I love the look and feel of the OLC but find it very difficult to keep track of I wonder if there is a way to do as above I learn and then test my computations bu asking the weapons officer.

I know this might horrify some realists but well I too want ot learn this thing so I can go 100%

Regards
Rascal
Quote:
Originally Posted by onelifecrisis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri II

RTFM

Yes it serves a purpose.
Answers above in yellow.

Edit:
Perhaps you're not using the latest version - I only updated it yesterday, after all. In v2.0.x the Ubermod Players Guide has been updated with instructions on how to use the UZO marking lines. Basically, multiply the number on those lines by the mast value, and you've got the range.
rascal101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-08, 09:06 AM   #450
skookum
Weps

Downloads: 35

Quote:
No. Each mark in the attack scope is 1 degree. Each mark in the obs scope is half a degree. You can do the arithmetic and transfer between the scopes if you really want, though doing so somewhat defeats the purpose of installing the mod.
Well yes and no. The arithmetic is fairly simple (apparently just count every other tick) and since the OBS has a higher zoom than the attack scope. I found this makes it easier to use the wiz wheel to estimate targets at a greater distance than is now possible with the attack scope.

OLC is the man.

Last edited by skookum; 05-01-08 at 09:24 AM.
skookum is offline   Reply With Quote