SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-03-10, 09:20 AM   #1471
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

someone posed an interesting question. In v2.1.0 I've disabled incoming radio messages if you are submerged (they don't get added to your messagebox but the game's log still adds them so you'll see them in the captain's log - hard coded in C++ code). Were the subs able to receive radio messages down to a certain depth? Or did they have to be surfaced as I've modeled it?
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-10, 09:25 AM   #1472
Cap.Palla
Officer

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 0

i'm pretty sure they have to be surfaced to recive radio messages...frankly i dunno why they hadn't a raisable antenna like the scope...

Cap.Palla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-10, 09:32 AM   #1473
Sonarman
The Old Man

Downloads: 79

To quote the u-boat archive...

At the beginning of the war all HF and MF transmitters used forward jumping wire/antenna and the U-boat received HF transmissions on the trailing jumping wires/antennas. Because of the polarization of the wire, the boat sometimes had to point toward or away from the station it was transmitting or receiving to/from. Later a telescopic rod antenna extending from the port side of the bridge was added. U-boats received and transmitted messages in encrypted Morse code. U-boats seldom, if ever, transmitted or received by voice. The boat would have to be surfaced to transmit or receive messages on HF but could receive messages on VLF when submerged at shallow depth using the DF-loop antenna. Snorkel-equipped U-boats carried a drum-shaped aerial atop the snorkel which enabled them to transmit and receive HF while snorkeling. U-boats communicated almost exclusively with Control ashore. They did not send messages or beacon signals to other U-boats unless specifically instructed to do so by Control. A typical radio suite would consist of the following equipment:
Old 05-03-10, 09:33 AM   #1474
Lopo
Lieutenant

Downloads: 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap.Palla View Post
i'm pretty sure they have to be surfaced to recive radio messages...frankly i dunno why they hadn't a raisable antenna like the scope...
I'm not sure, I've read somewhere subs were able to receive radio messages in short-waves when at periscope depth...

Lopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-10, 09:34 AM   #1475
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonarman View Post
To quote the u-boat archive...

At the beginning of the war all HF and MF transmitters used forward jumping wire/antenna and the U-boat received HF transmissions on the trailing jumping wires/antennas. Because of the polarization of the wire, the boat sometimes had to point toward or away from the station it was transmitting or receiving to/from. Later a telescopic rod antenna extending from the port side of the bridge was added. U-boats received and transmitted messages in encrypted Morse code. U-boats seldom, if ever, transmitted or received by voice. The boat would have to be surfaced to transmit or receive messages on HF but could receive messages on VLF when submerged at shallow depth using the DF-loop antenna. Snorkel-equipped U-boats carried a drum-shaped aerial atop the snorkel which enabled them to transmit and receive HF while snorkeling. U-boats communicated almost exclusively with Control ashore. They did not send messages or beacon signals to other U-boats unless specifically instructed to do so by Control. A typical radio suite would consist of the following equipment:
good info. So should I set that incoming radio messages can be received when at periscope depth or a little deeper?
Old 05-03-10, 09:41 AM   #1476
Cap.Palla
Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopo View Post
I'm not sure, I've read somewhere subs were able to receive radio messages in short-waves when at periscope depth...
i'm not expert in radio frequency but i think that water reflect almost all the signal.
here the formula....lost signal (dB) = - 20 log ((7.4586/10 6) x √ (f / σ)) and in the water the lost signal is ~60 db so they needed a very powerful transmission signal and a very short radio waves.
Conclusion: i really dunno

Old 05-03-10, 09:44 AM   #1477
Sonarman
The Old Man

There is another interesting article on this a U-boat.net see the table 1 in item 2.3 which lists depths for reception of signals.
Old 05-03-10, 09:45 AM   #1478
Cap.Palla
Officer

Quote:
There is another interesting article on this a U-boat.net see the table in 2.3 which lists depths for reception of signals.
From your article : "With the strong powered radio signals they succeeded to communicate from a distance of 16 nautical miles, depth of submarine's antenna was 10 metres."

Old 05-03-10, 09:52 AM   #1479
Cap.Palla
Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap.Palla View Post
From your article : "With the strong powered radio signals they succeeded to communicate from a distance of 16 nautical miles, depth of submarine's antenna was 10 metres."
OOppss...i read it from a WW1 chapter

Old 05-03-10, 09:56 AM   #1480
Sonarman
The Old Man

A quote from user Dirk on the U-boat.net forums...

"Nauen was a Long-wave radio station for communication with the submarines 25 km west of Berlin. It operated on 2 frequencies (Nauen I and Nauen II) 16,55 and 23,08 kHz. This was in use for morse code communication but not for navigation.
The signals could be received down to about 22 m depth submerged. Station Nauen was replaced by the Goliath station later and still today there is a radio station operating the "Deutsche Welle"

The 2.3 table figures are for the Goliath transmitter which probably are outside the scope of this game as it ends in '43 but going by what this post says the Nauen signal was indeed available down to about 22m in the period covered by SH5.

So you should probably allow reception but no sending at that depth unless a schnorkel is fitted in 1943+ then sending and reception could be allowed for suitably equipped boats.

Last edited by Sonarman; 05-03-10 at 10:10 AM.
Sonarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-10, 10:04 AM   #1481
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
A quote from user Dirk on the U-boat.net forums...

"Nauen was a Long-wave radio station for communication with the submarines 25 km west of Berlin. It operated on 2 frequencies (Nauen I and Nauen II) 16,55 and 23,08 kHz. This was in use for morse code communication but not for navigation.
The signals could be received down to about 22 m depth submerged. Station Nauen was replaced by the Goliath station later and still today there is a radio station operating the "Deutsche Welle"

The 2.3 table figures are for the Goliath transmitter which probably are outside the scope of this game as it ends in '43 but going by what this post says the Nauen signal was indeed available down to about 22m in the period covered by SH5.
well then let's agree on a depth and I'll code it in.......
Old 05-03-10, 10:05 AM   #1482
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

lightened up the colors used for the order bars, order category bars, and the teleport orders. This should help with night vision.
Old 05-03-10, 10:11 AM   #1483
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Got an idea here: how would you like to be able to access the officer's ability screen from the officer's bar? I'm thinking of you click and hold on the officer for > 1 second and it pops open that officer's ability screen
Old 05-03-10, 10:12 AM   #1484
KarlKoch
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
well then let's agree on a depth and I'll code it in.......
I would suggest 20m depth. When 22m was absolute maximum under ideal conditions, have it a little shallower for the rest of the days.
Old 05-03-10, 10:13 AM   #1485
Sonarman
The Old Man

On the officer's bar...

Yes, that looks great, it is very clear now what is and what is not available and less distracting in the dark.

And the ability of the officers bar to display abilities sounds good too!

Tags
dbrn, favorite, new ui