SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-02-12, 08:43 AM   #1366
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168
Uploads: 0

I'm actually a little relieved to find out you hardcore RPG vets think it's too easy at Master levels. I've been playing on Novice all this time.

Just now bumped it up to Adept for the next playthrough, now that I have a relatively decent feel for how to move around and fight with the keyboard/mouse. I still suffer from PowerStrikeitis, though, by which I mean I tend to get a little too frantic and hit M1 too hard over and over and end up burning through my stamina too quickly. Wasn't a problem at the higher lvls but starting over again I'm really having to watch that.

Sadly though I ran into some problems last night, had everything working fine with the new game and then got into the Bleak Falls Barrow quest for Farengar's Dragonstone (and what's his name who wants the claw back, I'm only going in there once this time). Going along fine and cut Arvel the Swift down and he took off but I didn't kill him right off or catch up to him quick enough because: draugr. I didn't think it mattered because IIRC he's supposed to get killed by the draugr further down the dungeon if you don't do it first? So I wasn't too worried about catching up to him right away, more worried about not getting killed myself.

However I eventually got all the way up to the puzzle door and... no Arvel. I never passed him (or his corpse) on the way. Went all the way back to the spider den and then all the forward to the puzzle door again and... nada. Can't find him anywhere, dead or alive. So, no claw, can't continue.

I figured I'd just reload a save from earlier in the dungeon before I found him in the spider's web, but because I'm an idiot I exited the game completely at some point in trying to find the appropriate save, and while I was out I disabled some mod that didn't appear to be working, which I probably shouldn't have done since I was actually going *back* to older saves that had used it. Went back in and, screw finding Arvel, my Favorites menu is completely gone... when I hit Q nothing happens. I use a customized one and it was working fine with all the other mods before, so I guess somewhere in the process of reverting to old saves and tinkering with mods it got borked. But I'm not sure why I get no response *at all* from the Q key...

Anyway I came completely out of the game and restored the mod list that I started out with and started a whole new game, recreated my character, went through Helgen, etc., but when the time finally comes where I should be able to access all my menus, you guessed it, I hit Q and get nothing.

So I don't know what I did. I thought at first maybe my custom Fav menu used Script Dragon, which I removed, but I'm sure that's not the case because I *know* I accessed it with this character several times before it disappeared.

So I may be starting over and over and over until I get this sorted out.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-12, 09:31 AM   #1367
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly View Post
Yeah, it is surprisingly easy on Master. Had some problems at first, being a pure dual wielder
How is dual wield working out for you anyway? Ive thought about it a few times, but end up being bored by level 10. It just seemed like your tactical options were so limited. No block, no bash, just hit both mouse keys at once, and repeat tell out of stamina. Does it pay off later on?
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-12, 09:58 AM   #1368
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducimus View Post
How is dual wield working out for you anyway? Ive thought about it a few times, but end up being bored by level 10. It just seemed like your tactical options were so limited. No block, no bash, just hit both mouse keys at once, and repeat tell out of stamina. Does it pay off later on?
Myeah, it's not very well done, imho. The big problem is that most enemies seems
to have enough reach to hit you everytime you try a hit & run attack, so it really
just boils down to what you said: dual power attacks.

On the up side, you can have total of 4 enchantments (2 per weapon) once
you get the relevant perk, so guess that gives some tactical options.

But all in all, they could've done much more with it. Ability to block would be especially handy.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-12, 06:54 PM   #1369
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

AAAARGH.

I disabled ALL mods and reloaded and the Q key is still not working. I have no way to access the Favorites menu, and apparently it's not a mod problem.

Any ideas? Could I somehow have disabled this by accidentally hitting a random sequence of keys while in the game? Is there someway I can "hotkey" it back so it works again?

I'm googling but most of what I find is people having trouble after trying the hotkey the Favorites functions/menu to something else which doesn't help much. Nothing about "the q key just suddenly stopped working."

Thank goodness I don't have hours of time invested in a character at this point. It's frustrating enough as it is.

Edit: to Oblivion with it, I'm just gonna reinstall and let it repatch and start over since I was only just out of Helgen anyway. I hope it works.

Last edited by frau kaleun; 03-02-12 at 07:51 PM.
Old 03-03-12, 03:27 AM   #1370
BossMark
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 278

I was looking and hoping to find a mod that puts your shield on back, but couldn't find anything on nexus so I was wondering if there is any other websites that as anything like this.
Not sure what you think but carrying your shield around in your hand while unarmed seems a little unrealistic.
Old 03-03-12, 08:04 AM   #1371
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossMark View Post
I was looking and hoping to find a mod that puts your shield on back, but couldn't find anything on nexus so I was wondering if there is any other websites that as anything like this.
Not sure what you think but carrying your shield around in your hand while unarmed seems a little unrealistic.
I'm pretty sure I did see one on Nexus, altho it was cosmetic only.

Yep here it is

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=9157

But it looks like they are "special" shields and have to be purchased from one particular vendor... looks like they are modded in to replace quivers or something.

I agree, I wish there was something that would show your existing shield on your back when it's equipped but your weapons aren't drawn.
Old 03-03-12, 08:04 AM   #1372
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

It's quite safe to say that if it isn't on Nexus, there probably isn't such a mod.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-12, 11:52 AM   #1373
kiwi_2005
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 223
Uploads: 1

Tried Dual wield for a while and went back to shield / 1hd the dual wield in Skyrim is piss poor laziness, hell even WoW had dual wield perfected.

I would like to see a mod that shows our character & gear/wep and all stats ingame in a window press C key or rather to bring up the details, like most RPG's. Or I wonder if there is a spreadsheet with all enchants etc and what such enchant is good for what as this game I haven't even bothered to enchant my gear or anything just straight out bare bones, not even bothered with crafting.

Those who can't laugh at themselves leave the job to others.

kiwi_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-12, 01:58 PM   #1374
kiwi_2005
Eternal Patrol

Well I couldn't find a character stats mod so its back to the perks screen but found some cool mods to install which most of you probably already know about.

Tytanis - The Ultimate Mod - ride a bear anyone or maybe a wolf?
Quote:
The creator of Tytanis bills it as The Ultimate Mod and it certainly comprehensive. The mod adds a whole bundle of crazy new items, powers, spells and perks, each more ridiculous than the last. If you've ever wanted to ride a bear, summon an undead dragon or dual wield two handed weapons then this is the mod for you. Future plans are even more ambitious, with farming, fishing and carpentry in the works.

SkyUI
was using an older UI mod that was a bit clunky, Skyui is
Quote:
Ask any PC gamer what Skyrims biggest flaw is and youll get one answer: the inventory. The default UI is inelegant, slow and features far too much scrolling. Which is why Sky UI is so essential. It doesn;t merely fix the problems with Bethesdas interface, it improves it on every level. Icons are now used to easily distinguish items while using less space. Additional information, such as if an item is stolen or poisoned, is clearly displayed. The inventory can even be sorted by value and weight, while a text search lets you find the correct item in a hurry. There is simply no reason not to install Sky UI, even those few who dont mind the original interface will find their Skyrim experience improved immeasurably as a result.
ENBSeries. Cant run Skyrim HD by Nebula. ENB gives the world a more colorful look. Very nice!
Quote:
The ENBSeries mods are famous for adding improved post processing and lighting effects to make games like GTA4 and Deus Ex: Human Revolution look amazing. Now, creator Boris Vorontsov has turned his hand to Skyrim. The result is unsual, but is nonetheless beautiful using brighter, more striking colours than previous ENB mods. Those who don;t care for the style should check out the the more muted Confident ENB settings instead.

A Quality World Map - With Roads
- HD and Classic look options.
Quote:
Ever get lost trying to navigate the world map in Skyrim? Then Quality World Map is the mod for you. It not only upgrades the textures, but hand drawn roads to the map for easy navigation . It also includes the option for a classic style map for those who prefer Oblivion hand drawn look to Skyrim flashy 3D. This last feature is a work in progress, but it looks so lovely it worth trying anyway.

Val Crafting Meltdown
. If I decide to waste my life crafting and mining Vals CM is a good starter
Quote:
Playing Skyrim inevitably results in picking up a lot of items you don;t necessarily need. Weapons or armour you aren;t properly trained with, or just useless pots and pans, every Dovahkiin ends up with a lot of clutter in their inventory. Vals Crafting Meltdown, has an ingenious solution to that problem, giving players the ability to melt down weapons, armour and junk into raw materials like iron and steel. It also provides an invaluable service for archers, letting them use smithing to create arrows, an ability inexplicably missing from the original game. Vals Crafting Meltdown is built to be compatible with other crafting mods, so if want to expand your crafting options, be sure to check out The Lost Art of the Blacksmith and More Craftables, which let you craft faction specific items like Thieves Guild armour or Skyforge Steel weapons. Alternatively Craftable Staffs lets mages get in on the smithing action too.

Deadly Dragons
-well yea Dragons is one creature that is a piece of cake to take down, Ive never had problems with beating them I have more a hard time taking on mobs in a damn dungeon than a fire breathing dragon they should be the hardest creatures ingame to beat. When we spot a dragon we should be running for our lives not running after it to take it down in matter of minutes Ok we are Dragonborn but still.
Quote:
Dragons? Wimps I tell you! I eat em for breakfast! So goes the cry of the high level Dragonborn. Spectacular though Skyrim flying lizards are, they can sometimes be a bit of a pushover in the late game. Thankfully, there a mod for that. Deadly Dragons tweaks Skyrim biggest monsters to be even more terrifying, including adding all new Dragon types like Storm and Magma to threaten even the hardiest of adventures.

Proudspire Manor Dragonborn Edition

Quote:
Proudspire Manor is the most expensive house in Skyrim, but it doesnt feel that much better than starting house Breezehome, which next door to a blacksmiths. Enter Proudspire Manor Dragonborn Edition, which expands and renovates your property, adding a built in smithy, along with extra mannequins and weapon plaques, turning your humble abode into the mansion it was meant to be.

Skyrim online
- to basic for me atm from what ive read - chat to other skyrim players will wait for the day where we can run round in groups or pairs.
Quote:
A work in progress, but an exciting one. Skyrim Online aims to turn Skyrim into a pseudo MMO, letting players connect to a server where they can see and interact with each other. So far it pretty simple, with other players appearing only as undressed prisoners, unable to do anything but chat with each other, but it still a great technical achievement. We cant wait to see where this mod goes once the creation kit has been released.
Source with video previews http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/01/17/th...t-skyrim-mods/
All mod links point to nexus site.

Last edited by kiwi_2005; 03-03-12 at 02:44 PM.
Old 03-03-12, 05:37 PM   #1375
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi_2005 View Post
SkyUI
was using an older UI mod that was a bit clunky, Skyui is
Been using this since early on and love it.

Quote:
A Quality World Map - With Roads- HD and Classic look options.
I have some version of this to which the hold borders were added as fairly unobtrusive dashed lines, also got rid of all the damn clouds that were cluttering up the view. I know the "map" is not exactly like a flat drawn-on-paper map but... clouds? Really? So I can't see half of the dang country?

Quote:
Deadly Dragons
Quote:
-well yea Dragons is one creature that is a piece of cake to take down, Ive never had problems with beating them I have more a hard time taking on mobs in a damn dungeon than a fire breathing dragon they should be the hardest creatures ingame to beat. When we spot a dragon we should be running for our lives not running after it to take it down in matter of minutes Ok we are Dragonborn but still.
I might like to see something that makes the existing dragons a little more challenging at higher PC levels.

Quote:
Proudspire Manor Dragonborn Edition

Used this for the last character but always had problems with the added mannequins moving around - at first I could activate them and add/remove items and they'd pop back into place but eventually they got "stuck" in the wrong spots somehow. Also issues with weapon/shield racks not working properly and stuff disappearing until I'd left and re-entered several times, really a pain if I only went in to get that one particular item. May have been caused by loading the mod *after* making a save inside the cell, seems to be an issue with some other custom property mods as well. At any rate will be trying out a different mod for this house this time around to see how I like it. Still not a bad upgrade to the property if you avoid the issues I mentioned.

Quote:

Val Crafting Meltdown. If I decide to waste my life crafting and mining Vals CM is a good starter
I would like some good crafting mods but I have a feeling it was the attempt to add them that borked up my new game, I use a combo of two of the "better sorting" mods which worked fine with Categorized Favorites and seemed to work fine with the crafting mods I added until I decided to remove one of them and switch one out for something else that was similar.

Not sure how crafting mods work, with recipes and stuff, are the items used referred to by name or by some ID code that is stable even if another mod changes the display name of the item? (Say, from "Iron Ingot" to "Ingot: Iron.") I would like craftable arrows but when I added a mod for it they never seemed to show up in the possibilities when I was at a forge, even though the vendors now sold stuff for fletching feathers. Also there's a mod that adds a bunch of extra jewelry that looks really cool although I haven't found anything that will let me craft pretty pretty circlets without revamping the entire smithing system in ways I don't want. I hate having to wait to find the circlets I like in loot or, even worse, *buy* them from that snotty beeyotch in Solitude.
Old 03-03-12, 06:21 PM   #1376
kiwi_2005
Eternal Patrol

@fran

Sounds like you are running - A Clear World Map With Clouds
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=6411

try his other one

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=4929

Old 03-03-12, 06:32 PM   #1377
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
@fran

Sounds like you are running - A Clear World Map With Clouds
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=6411

try his other one

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=4929
No, the one I'm running doesn't have clouds. It's Hold_Borders_-_Classic_-_Main_Roads_v8-5739-8-0 which is a collaboration between the guy who adds the hold borders and the guy who does the modded map you mentioned. It's the same Quality World Map (or rather several varieties of it), but you get hold borders marked as well. My comment was directed at the fact that the clouds were ever there to begin with... it's a map, the one I'm supposed to use to get around. Doesn't work too well if half of what I'm looking at isn't visible, especially if that includes my current location. Really frustrating when I first started playing and didn't know any of the territory at all.

I also use Map_HUD_Enhanced-10093-1-1 which takes away the big dark menu bar at the bottom of the map, which you don't really need once you learn the few keystrokes you need to use it. Plus it makes the font for the time/datestamp smaller. End result - way more territory visible, don't have to scroll so much to see more of the country.
Old 03-03-12, 08:12 PM   #1378
kiwi_2005
Eternal Patrol

Right. You mean clouds in the default map yeah that never bothered me, I suppose it would of helped with a cloud free map for first timers as default (notice I didn't type noob) so then some modder could create a 'Lots of cloud' map mod

Now this newb is going to go and start up an Orc character and I might give dual welding another chance.

I might as well try out that no borders mod you mention

Old 03-03-12, 08:15 PM   #1379
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Now this noob is going to go and start up an Orc and I might give dual welding another chance.
I thought Orcs were optimized for 2H weapons.

I might play an Orc chick sometime, they seem pretty awesome. I have to admit I did find some of the male Orcs attractive. Probably the voices combined with the attitudes.

I have been so busy today I haven't had time to start a new game and see if the reinstall fixed my Fav menu problem. Will probably get to it shortly. If I still get no love from the Q key I'm sure I will be back here looking for help cuz googling didn't get me diddly.
Old 03-03-12, 08:27 PM   #1380
kiwi_2005
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by frau kaleun View Post
I thought Orcs were optimized for 2H weapons.

I might play an Orc chick sometime, they seem pretty awesome. I have to admit I did find some of the male Orcs attractive. Probably the voices combined with the attitudes.

I have been so busy today I haven't had time to start a new game and see if the reinstall fixed my Fav menu problem. Will probably get to it shortly. If I still get no love from the Q key I'm sure I will be back here looking for help cuz googling didn't get me diddly.
Orc should be pro at any melee weapon, dual welding, 2hd, 1h & shield otherwise WTH was Bethsheda thinking. Tho in Skyrim this really doesn't matter there are no real class/race, attributes to worry about. I wouldn't be surprise if you could roll a orc mage and do really well with him/her.

After seeing this orc dual weld time to try out a new character