SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-08-16, 07:52 PM   #121
Alex
Dominant Wolf

Downloads: 30
Uploads: 0

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_frog View Post
Hi Texelbo,

20 000 polygons for chains and anchors is really a lot. Anchors, chains and related fittings of the model I am working on have in total 10 000 polygons (and I'll keep them ).

The trick Alex ist refering to is to seperate the model into smaller parts, for example in case of two sets of anchors with chains you split those two. Then you create one 3D-related chunk in the *.dat file, with all materials plus the 3D model of that single set of anchor and chains. Next, you create a second 3D-related chunk, with all materials BUT you do not attach a 3D model but use the ID of the first model: enter it at Linked 3D model where it reads Model ID (just above the box of the materials).
For reference, see privateer's/jeff-groves' Seaforts (GWX) or any of my recent models (opitcal instruments are repeated in that way).

Stupid thing, however, the trick does not work easily with anchors and chains because of being not identical but mirrored ... but you may split the model into submodels of the anchors plus parts of the chains and then recreate the entire arrangement in S3D with repeated instances of these submodels. Quite some work but it will save plenty of polygons. I think, it is worth the try !!

Cheers
Thanks for your help at explaining the whole process, Mr der_Frosch.

By the way...
Quote:
Stupid thing, however, the trick does not work easily with anchors and chains because of being not identical but mirrored ...
Is it ?
I mean, anchors are the same object on both sides, the only thing one needs to do to make it look right on both sides is duplicating the object and rotating it the proper way, as far as I know...

edit

(Yet the shadow map would not look good on one side, so the object would have to be mirrored indeed. )
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-16, 01:33 PM   #122
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
...anchors are the same object on both sides, the only thing one needs to do to make it look right on both sides is duplicating the object and rotating it the proper way, as far as I know...

edit

(Yet the shadow map would not look good on one side, so the object would have to be mirrored indeed. )
Hi Alex,
in the past I faced exactly the same problem as you: objects that could simply be cloned the way the_frog explained, if it wasnt for their Ambient Occlusion map which would require the flipping of the object for looking good. Unfortunately there is no way that I am aware of, of flipping or even scaling the meshes bound to any individual node.
For small objects as anchors and chains, you could consider giving up the AO channel though

By the way: your models look awesome
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-16, 05:54 AM   #123
the_frog
Commander

Downloads: 17

Alex, gap,

I was not refering to problems with shaddow/AO maps. Thetricky part are are not due to the anchors but the chains:

The opposing sets of chains can be re-created by splitting them into smaller pieces but it is possible to use a single, repeated model. At least I was not able to create a mirrored instance of a 3D model in S3D. If possible, I would be very happy someone could explain the preocedure.
the_frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-16, 10:49 AM   #124
texelbo
Mate

Downloads: 0
Default Meantime - we are armed!

But without ancors and chain for while...
texelbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-16, 05:52 AM   #125
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
I was not refering to problems with shaddow/AO maps. Thetricky part are are not due to the anchors but the chains:
I love your attention to details guys. Yet, I would spare the extra polygons of 3D chains (or the time required for splitting each chain in smaller pieces to be repeated n times over the model), for more important stuff.

This is my rendition of a Mk 6 depth charge with its throwing harbor, by the way (no AO mapped yet):

Most details, including bolts, detonator, filling holes, etc, are 3D, but the chain was created by mapping a texture with opacity mask set appropriately, on top of two band shaped, almost flat, objects, overlayed one on top of the other and with back faces set as visible so to give the impression of a three dimensional chain.

The final resut is obviously far from perfet, but at a distance and under most angles discovering the trick would require a skilled eye.

I think that chains in stock SH5 models were done using a similar method, and in game they look fairly good.
Old 11-18-16, 03:57 PM   #126
texelbo
Mate

On the Deck
Old 11-18-16, 04:58 PM   #127
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by texelbo View Post
On the Deck
Very nice
Old 12-01-16, 01:59 PM   #128
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
radar

Ahoy ! Any news from the French Navy ?

Old 12-11-16, 03:57 PM   #129
texelbo
Mate

Default Done

I would like inform everyones about the finishing of this project - after 10 months from start.
You could find new mod, called 'Bearn 1+1' here: http://dfiles.ru/files/hlrplvee6?redirect

Mod was checked with GWX 3.0
Enjoy.

And one last photo - for atracting attention
Old 12-11-16, 10:49 PM   #130
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Icon7

Congratulations mate !

Thank you very much for sharing your beautiful work !

Old 12-12-16, 05:23 AM   #131
Stefan Thimme
Gunner

Downloads: 842
Uploads: 1

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR ADMIRABLE WORK.
Stefan Thimme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-16, 02:59 PM   #132
gap
Navy Seal

Well done texelbo. The French Navy has always been one of the major elements missing from SH games, and despite the effort put by many skilled model builders in expanding main belligerents' navies, French warships and aircraft were rarely considered.
Thank you for filling the gap with your amazing models!
Old 12-13-16, 01:46 PM   #133
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Exclamation

So, I tested the plane during attack against german merchants.

First problem : the machine-gun (see on the picture) when turning. I have corrected the problem in .sim file. Now the gun can turn without bug.

Second problem, just after dropping the bombs, the aircraft disappear and the game crashes. I've added the .zon file which was missing, and tried again. The game doesn't crash anymore but the airplanes still disappear. I don't know how to solve that bug.

Here are the files I've corrected : http://www.mediafire.com/file/p9p458.../Fix_PL101.zip

Please have a look.

Thanks.
Old 12-13-16, 02:00 PM   #134
the_frog
Commander

Downloads: 17

@Texelbo:

Very, very nice models

Just on thing I noticed on Kendras picture: could it be the machine gun has no texture?

Cheers
Old 12-13-16, 02:08 PM   #135
Stefan Thimme
Gunner

Downloads: 842
Uploads: 1

Dear Mr. Texelbo,

Let to ask You with all respects for Your admirable models if You plan to creat any French cruiser model of WWII for Silent Hunter 3? La Galissonnière-class cruiser, for example.
Stefan Thimme is offline   Reply With Quote