SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-08-08, 08:05 AM   #121
vanjast
Sea Lord

Downloads: 806
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1reed
...and you're the action guy for sure
Has my wife been talking to you...
I'm busy gathering screen res data for most screens, so that one can choose the image that fits best.

vanjast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-08, 10:06 PM   #122
Notewire
Soundman

Downloads: 75
Uploads: 0
Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thendash
Here you go Notewire, I made this mod to remove the circle sub marker from the map;
http://files.filefront.com/No+sub+on.../fileinfo.html
Quote:
No Sub Marker on Map v1.0 by Thendash

Description:
This mod takes the circle sub marker off the map so that you can navigate your self without using waypoints.

Install:
-Extract to MODS folder in C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific\MODS
-Run JSGME
-Select No_sub_on_map and press "enable selected mod" arrow.
-Install after mods that alter the sub marker(such as Trigger Maru).

Note:
-If you zoom in far enough you will be able to see your sub. This only removes the circle from the map, not the sub outline marker.
-The waypoint tool will still work, so if you want you can use it to navigate while in combat or if you get helplessly lost.
-This mod is not "cheat" proof so you will have to stop your self from zooming in to see where your sub is. If you don't think you can stop your self then this isn't for you.
THANKS Thendash - this is EXACTLY what I was looking for. I have the RealNav mod in SH3 - and I think I actually like this better -

Why? Because I CAN stop myself from cheating - however, when I am in a harbor or just want to take a break - I can turn the navigation over to my ensign and have him take the boat out. PERFECT!!
Notewire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-08, 01:15 AM   #123
Thendash
Seaman

Downloads: 13

Yeah I use the waypoints(navigator ensign I guess) when I enter combat and once I reach my objective and start searching out targets. But for the way to and back from objectives I like to use manual navigation, gives me something to do other then turn on high time compression and watch my boat warp across the map. One thing I have noticed, and I'm not sure if it's my periscope mod or what but, the periscope bearing markers are off a tiny bit. I'm thinking .5 degrees or something small like that, but the game rounds up/down so sometimes I end up heading way off track even over the period of only an hour, it's sort of annoying but I guess it could replicate the problems with wind and current while navigating on the open seas.
Here's something I made up for myself that you will probably find usefull, it's a nomograph and a conversion chart that I have printed off and it saves me a lot of time as apposed to draging out the gramophone which in TM is modded to be a conversion chart. I'm not sure if MS Word will open it because I saved it in open office but you can try anyways(or download open office):
http://files.filefront.com/conversio.../fileinfo.html
Thendash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-08, 09:24 PM   #124
6SJ7GT
A-ganger

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 1
Default Greetings

I have been playing with celestial navigation and looking at SH4 with the idea of doing this in the game, but approached it from the opposite direction. I found the sub location in the savegame, and use Python to create a startup script that puts the sub date, time and location into Stellarium. I can then take star sights by checking the altitude of the stars I need. The LOP's usually intersect within a minute of the sub location.
Look in your savegame folder for the SaveData.map file. The sub position is under [waypoint]. divide the two coordinates by 120000 to get Lat. and Long.

I have more info if anyone is isterested.

Mike
6SJ7GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-08, 12:27 AM   #125
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

Too dificult for me , but sound intruiging . cheers .
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-08, 06:50 AM   #126
don1reed
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 910

@6SJ7GT:

What do you use as a "sextant", Mike, that allows you LOPs within 1' moa?

Yes, I'm interested and request more information

...Welcome aboard!

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

~ George Orwell
don1reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-08, 09:46 AM   #127
don1reed
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
I can then take star sights by checking the altitude of the stars I need. The LOP's usually intersect within a minute of the sub location. --6SJ7GT
Do you measure the altitude of the body in SH4, or do you read the altitude of the body in Stellarium?

tnx,
Don

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

~ George Orwell
Old 03-14-08, 03:52 PM   #128
6SJ7GT
A-ganger

I read the altitude in Stellarium. If you don't pause it the number changes fast enough that you have a little uncertainty. I pause Stellarium if I am confirming that this works, or if I am feeling lazy and want to consolidate some of the lookups for sight reduction.
Since I am also fairly new to celestial navigation I found some online resources.

Python programming language (A fairly easy but powerful scripting language)
Stellarium freeware planetarium software
Omar Reis Online Nautical Almanac (Says 1950-2050 but works back to at least 1940)
Another ONilne Almanac that has most of the calculations done for you.
USNO online Almanac

The below link has the sight reduction tables (all 6 volumes of the Maritme Navigation Tables) needed for the more complex star sight sheet. It also has Bowditch (American Practical Navigator) if you want to read further on navigation. (A must for a qualified Submariner). There is also a copy of the Maneuvering Board Manual. Look for the link to Publications on the left side.
Maritme Safety Information

A freeware Graph Paper printer that prints Mercator projections
gpaper

I have some other information but this should get you started.

Mike
Old 03-15-08, 11:57 AM   #129
don1reed
Ace of the Deep

Roger that, Mike.

Any port in a storm...as they say.

Being a virtual sailor is extremely difficult in and of itself; but, admittedly we can still dream of a time future, where the sailor will be able to go on deck with a workable sextant and measure the altitudes, and then perform the necessary magic to reduce the sight to workable LOP(s).

We're far from that at present, still it doesn't hurt to dream.

Cheers,

~ George Orwell
Old 03-15-08, 12:38 PM   #130
6SJ7GT
A-ganger

I put some more info on a web page here
SH4 Celestial Nav

Sounds like Don knows what he is doing with navigation, but there are more links for anyone interested in learning celestial navigation.

Regards,
Mike
Old 03-15-08, 01:20 PM   #131
6SJ7GT
A-ganger

One thing, using the script to set the sub location keeps me from seeing the sub lat & long. I get the ALT from Stellarium but have to do the rest of the math & table lookups to reduce the sights. It's satisfying to see the LOP's come together somewhere near my DR position (assuming I didn't make any errors in math or tables). I am also planning on looking at the game weather and only taking sights when the stars would be visible. several days of cloudy weather after the twists and turns dodging a destroyer might make for an interesting time relocating myself.

I have been using posplot.exe available at the Navigation list for printing plotting sheets, and gpaper.exe to print mercator paper for area maps. I think I'll be able to do most of my navigation on paper with these.

I also found an aircraft bubble sextant and my son and I have been using that to take star and sun sights at home. Last time we got within 2 miles of our home. It's an interesting learning experience for both of us.

Mike
Old 03-15-08, 03:35 PM   #132
don1reed
Ace of the Deep

Good job, Mike.

I'm retired from the sea now but still keep my sextants (2) in use while on shore using artificial horizon. Adm Byrd used a box of mercury while in the arctic. IIRC, Lewis & Clark used mercury also & clearing the Lunar distance. Mercury is too hazardous and cost prohibitive these days. As a kid, long time ago, we used to take mercury from old thermometers and turn pennies silver with it. Yikes!

A dish/sauser of heavy oil works just fine in the lower, warmer, latitudes.
Davis Instruments has a plastic artificial horizon for sale that uses water as a reflector. Water is too viscous for my liking (jiggles with the slightest breeze even in those windproof boxes).

Cheers,

~ George Orwell
Old 03-15-08, 04:01 PM   #133
don1reed
Ace of the Deep

btw, Mike, check your PM.

Don

~ George Orwell
Old 03-17-08, 09:09 AM   #134
don1reed
Ace of the Deep

Well Mike,

I think you have a winner!

Here's a plot sheet I've recently started using your method and D/L of "python" and "stellarium".

With the Nav tools I have on premises, here's a Sugar boat just out of Manila, P.I. headed northwesterly:

page 1

Cheers,

~ George Orwell

Last edited by don1reed; 03-19-08 at 07:02 AM.
Old 03-17-08, 05:36 PM   #135
6SJ7GT
A-ganger

Nice to see it working.

Here is a pic of my 2 sextants. an aircraft sextant and a homemade one (plans at www.tecepe.com). I think I may be able to use the Stanley sight level as an artificial horizon. They're sitting on my "grammophone / Radio". I use an mp3 player with 1940's music rather than use the game grammophone.