SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-07-15, 05:17 PM   #121
avers
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 586
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Halsey View Post
Yes! Now we just need someone who's good with code and has experience with SH3's code.
I don't think H sie is around anymore, but didn't steibler "hack" the code to? I think he's still around.
avers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-15, 05:23 PM   #122
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Downloads: 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by avers View Post
I don't think H sie is around anymore, but didn't steibler "hack" the code to? I think he's still around.
IIRC yeah he did because he does have an addon pack for H.sie's patches. We could always ask if he'd be willing to help us.
Admiral Halsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-15, 05:30 PM   #123
avers
Seasoned Skipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Halsey View Post
IIRC yeah he did because he does have an addon pack for H.sie's patches. We could always ask if he'd be willing to help us.
I could PM him asking if he could help us.
Old 08-07-15, 05:37 PM   #124
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Quote:
Originally Posted by avers View Post
I could PM him asking if he could help us.
That would be good. Also i'm A: Still looking around for all the beginning mod tips that are floating around the forums and B: I'm starting to get an idea of what the eventual mega-mod which is the goal of the NMTF will be.
Old 08-08-15, 07:54 AM   #125
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

@ avers and Admiral Halsey

Why don't you two get off my thread!?!

You want to make a mega mod.....fine....... start your own thread about it. Don't hijack mine.

If I had my way the Nazi's wouldn't see the light of day in SH4!!!!!

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-15, 07:55 AM   #126
avers
Seasoned Skipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post

You want to make a mega mod.....fine....... start your own thread about it. Don't hijack mine.

Sorry scurvy, we're done.
Old 08-08-15, 07:15 PM   #127
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Quote:
@ avers and Admiral Halsey

Sorry mate. Got a bit overzealous talking about what code patches could do for the game.
Old 08-08-15, 07:43 PM   #128
james_nix
What's happenin' Cap'n'?

Downloads: 719
Uploads: 6

CapnScurvy, what are your plans for the S-Class? I wish there was a way to hide the fathometer for the s-class, but the only way I can think to do it would be for every sub, not specific to a class.

Another idea I had was random crush depths for all subs, so every time you start a new career you never know how deep you can go, since I assume every sub had it's own specific crush depth. I mean, not every sub was identical down to the rivets. I'm sure it varied a couple feet in either direction for every sub.

Of course, ideas are easy, the hard part is working within the constrains of the tools you have.
Old 08-09-15, 08:46 AM   #129
CapnScurvy
Admiral

To avers and Admiral Halsey......thanks for the replies.

If I thought I could create code to fix some of the issues in SH4, I would. BUT, I don't.

Fixing the Stadimeter so it doesn't rely on single pixel lines to determine calculated range would be one of them. The stock game requires "pin point" accuracy for getting a reasonable estimate of range. A "twitch" of the mouse at some distances can make 100's of yards difference in range finding. In real life, a mouse was a ship board companion; in-game it plays the only role in determining accurate Stadimeter readings. If I had my way, it wouldn't be so sensitive.

=================

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_nix
I wish there was a way to hide the fathometer for the s-class, but the only way I can think to do it would be for every sub, not specific to a class.

Another idea I had was random crush depths for all subs, so every time you start a new career you never know how deep you can go, since I assume every sub had it's own specific crush depth. I mean, not every sub was identical down to the rivets. I'm sure it varied a couple feet in either direction for every sub.
I'm not sure of what you mean by "fathometer".

The other idea of allowing subs to dive to its crush depth as been modified within OTC already (and, it will be ported over to Day of Infamy). Hit the "D" (dive) key and take her down to whatever depth you want to test. There's nothing stopping you from your decent, like in the stock game. Each class of sub IS different with regards to how deep you can go before its too late to return. There is a point of no return! No matter what you try, the depth will defeat you.

But, to the point you made regarding having each sub, within its sub class, having different crush depths......well you kind of have that already. In my tests I found no two subs were lost at exactly the same depth. There is a random calculation built-in already to the fresh/new subs. If you add damage to the sub.....this modifies the random crush depth even more.

Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
Old 08-09-15, 11:44 AM   #130
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekb525 View Post
aanker has a mod that adds Sofu Gan. it's included with TMO 2.5. I'm not sure if it's included in any other mods though

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=1522
Yes, with lots of help (those blasted triangles!!!) I made the representation of Sofu Gan, and was honored that Ducimus liked it enough to add to TMO.

My Readme gives permission for anyone to use it in their mod, except for commercial use. If their mod turns into a donation mod for Subsim, that is not considered commercial use.

I am very interested in this project by CapnScurvy and if there is anything I can do to help, I'm your guy if you like rocks! ...... lol

Happy Hunting!

Last edited by aanker; 08-09-15 at 12:09 PM.
aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-15, 07:30 PM   #131
james_nix
What's happenin' Cap'n'?

Downloads: 719
Uploads: 6

Quote:

I'm not sure of what you mean by "fathometer".

I meant not knowing your depth, since the s-classes didn't, at the beginning away, have a way to measure depth.
Old 08-10-15, 06:35 AM   #132
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by aanker View Post
I made the representation of Sofu Gan, and was honored that Ducimus liked it enough to add to TMO.
I am very interested in this project by CapnScurvy and if there is anything I can do to help, I'm your guy if you like rocks! ...... lol
I like Sofu Gan too!! A great addition to the game.

I have already added it to my plans. Thanks aanker for the support!!

Quote:
Old 08-10-15, 11:22 AM   #133
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
I like Sofu Gan too!! A great addition to the game.

I have already added it to my plans. Thanks aanker for the support!!
And it is an important addition to the game as Sofu Gan was a major rendezvous point for submarines in wolfpacks on the way to Japan and was used as a navigation fix for single submarines. Thanks aanker!

Second the motion to keep this solely an American theater mod. There are plenty of Nazi sims and only one American subsim. Keep it pure. If you want to add something add Dutch subs.

As far as hardcoded changes wishlist the list would be very, very long. A big one would be a built-in error envelope of different sizes for various detection methods: visual, sonar, radar, which would be expressed as a percentage error of the range and bearing, randomly applied within the error envelope for that detection method and the resulting value printed on navigation and attack maps.

Addition of a stadimeter plot board and a way to input the result to the TDC would go a long way, along with making the adjustment of the stadimeter much finer than it is now, to making targeting more realistic.

There's a hundred more. But we'll never see them. Anybody making a new subsim will start from scratch, adding, not subtracting from our list of defects. And the programmers would have been fired from Borderlands 3 the week before and never saw or read about a submarine in their lives.

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 08-10-15 at 11:37 AM.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-15, 02:20 PM   #134
Crannogman
Watch Officer

Downloads: 24

Is it possible to make land clutter show on the radar plot? I've read that nearby land masses confused surface radars (at least) early in the war, but I've never seen pictures of what this confusion/interference looked like to the operator.
Old 08-10-15, 03:11 PM   #135
Fish40
The Old Man

Downloads: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crannogman View Post
Is it possible to make land clutter show on the radar plot? I've read that nearby land masses confused surface radars (at least) early in the war, but I've never seen pictures of what this confusion/interference looked like to the operator.

That would be excellent, but I don't think it's possible As a side note, subs sometimes would calibrate their radars using Sofu Gan as a target!
Fish40 is offline   Reply With Quote