SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-10-16, 06:51 AM   #1291
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Eh, that's how it is these days, they can blow each other to pieces in the Middle East and you're lucky if you see it before page 7. One guy stabs another guy in a western city in the name of Allah and it's front page news.
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-16, 08:58 AM   #1292
Schroeder
Navy Seal

Downloads: 62
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
Eh, that's how it is these days, they can blow each other to pieces in the Middle East and you're lucky if you see it before page 7. One guy stabs another guy in a western city in the name of Allah and it's front page news.
Big difference there though. What they do to each other over there is their thing and I've stopped caring a long time ago. But when they do something here they do it to us. Big difference.
Old 06-10-16, 09:18 AM   #1293
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder View Post
Big difference there though. What they do to each other over there is their thing and I've stopped caring a long time ago. But when they do something here they do it to us. Big difference.
Exactly.

Violence over there is a daily thing, in some areas, suicide bombings are almost a weekly thing.

But someone chopping a head off in Europe? It's not quite the same. It hits closer to home and is not something we have grown used to happen often.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-16, 09:59 AM   #1294
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Sad but true.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-16, 12:41 PM   #1295
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Us vs them, I guess. Bit unfair considering how much input we had in starting this ball rolling, and keeping it rolling, but that's the western mindset I guess, Not In My Backyard™.
Old 06-10-16, 02:38 PM   #1296
kraznyi_oktjabr
Sea Lord

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Us vs them, I guess. Bit unfair considering how much input we had in starting this ball rolling, and keeping it rolling, but that's the western mindset I guess, Not In My Backyard™.
Well you can always discuss about responsivility (which is good debate to have), but in the end most of current generation (or past for that matter) had nothing to do (except existing Western country) in creating this mess.

Besides there isn't anything new in people's attitudes. Think about accidents, its very different thing emotionally if you have some kind of association with victim(s) be it family connection, friendship or in cases like this being nearby you and/or happens in culture relatively similar with your's.
Old 06-10-16, 02:46 PM   #1297
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraznyi_oktjabr View Post
Well you can always discuss about responsivility (which is good debate to have), but in the end most of current generation (or past for that matter) had nothing to do (except existing Western country) in creating this mess.

Besides there isn't anything new in people's attitudes. Think about accidents, its very different thing emotionally if you have some kind of association with victim(s) be it family connection, friendship or in cases like this being nearby you in culture relatively similar with your's.
True, true, although one can talk indeed about the amount of responsibility the average citizen has for the actions of the country that they inhabit. If I vote for a government and that government declares war on another country then do I bear responsibility for that declaration even though I am against that war?

But yes, ultimately this generation bears little responsibility for the initial cause of this unrest, which dates back at the very least just under a hundred years.

And indeed, you're spot on about peoples attitudes, and it is a shame, but I guess we can be grateful that with access to the internet that at least the information is more easily accessible than it would be filtered through newspaper and television media. It's a double-edged sword since all kinds of information both true and false are also available with the onus being on the reader to weigh up the veriacity of it.
Old 06-10-16, 04:19 PM   #1298
Schroeder
Navy Seal

Downloads: 62

I'm sorry but I can't and actually don't want to mourn/worry/root etc. for every third world country and person. It would make me go insane. It's enough for me to get my depressions from doing all that for my own people and myself.
Old 06-10-16, 10:30 PM   #1299
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
I'm sorry but I can't and actually don't want to mourn/worry/root etc. for every third world country and person. It would make me go insane. It's enough for me to get my depressions from doing all that for my own people and myself.
/signed.
Old 06-12-16, 05:08 AM   #1300
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Quote:
The U.S. Code of Federal Regulations defines terrorism as "the unlawful use of force and violence against persons or property to intimidate or coerce a government, the civilian population, or any segment thereof, in furtherance of political or social objectives"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/36510272

There's been an attack in a gay club in Orlando, multiple casualties, reports of a bomb being present and a controlled detonation carried out, but thankfully the gunman is reported to be dead now.

Now before people jump on me because this hasn't been confirmed as a Muslim attack, I determine this to likely be politically or socially motivated because it has taken place against a gay nightclub, and given the situation in the US regarding homosexuality it is highly possible that this was a deliberate choice of target against the civilian population related to a social or political vendetta.

EDIT: It has been suggested by the FBI that the shooter may have had leanings towards radical Islam.

He has been named as Omar Marteen, a US citizen from Port St. Lucie.

Death count has been raised from 20 to 50, with an additional 53 in hospital.

Last edited by Oberon; 06-12-16 at 09:24 AM.
Old 06-12-16, 09:46 AM   #1301
Torplexed
Let's Sink Sumptin' !

Downloads: 43

Just a day after singer and songwriter Christina Grimmie was murdered in an Orlando nightclub by a demented fan while signing autographs after a performance. A grim weekend in Florida.

--Mobilis in Mobili--
Torplexed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-16, 10:44 AM   #1302
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Quote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/36510272

There's been an attack in a gay club in Orlando, multiple casualties, reports of a bomb being present and a controlled detonation carried out, but thankfully the gunman is reported to be dead now.

Now before people jump on me because this hasn't been confirmed as a Muslim attack, I determine this to likely be politically or socially motivated because it has taken place against a gay nightclub, and given the situation in the US regarding homosexuality it is highly possible that this was a deliberate choice of target against the civilian population related to a social or political vendetta.

EDIT: It has been suggested by the FBI that the shooter may have had leanings towards radical Islam.

He has been named as Omar Marteen, a US citizen from Port St. Lucie.

Death count has been raised from 20 to 50, with an additional 53 in hospital.

xxxxxxxxxx edit: Oh nevermind

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-16, 01:35 PM   #1303
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torplexed View Post
Just a day after singer and songwriter Christina Grimmie was murdered in an Orlando nightclub by a demented fan while signing autographs after a performance. A grim weekend in Florida.
Looks like LA may have had a close call too:

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...nap-story.html
Old 06-12-16, 05:15 PM   #1304
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

The Muslim terrorist in Orlando seems to be confirmed to have vowed loyalty to IS. His family are Muslim Afghans with now US papers. I put it like this because differentiating between cultural origin and cultural home and ethnicity, and bureaucratic formalities, may be politically incorrect, but is important. Identity is more than just papers, and a stamp on them. MUCH MORE. You do not become American or German or French or whatever just by getting a new ID card. There is a historically grown background story - and it weighs heavily.

Muslim lobby groups alreayd started to campaign for "Islam and religion have nothing to do with it". As always. An innocent lamb who still believes this nonsense.
Old 06-12-16, 08:02 PM   #1305
MaDef
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Muslim lobby groups alreayd started to campaign for "Islam and religion have nothing to do with it". As always. An innocent lamb who still believes this nonsense.
The following idiom is an appropriate response.

Actions speak louder than words.
MaDef is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
terrorism