SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-14-07, 02:40 AM   #1276
antidotos
Mate

Downloads: 17
Uploads: 0
1.3 quirks ?

Hi all GWX veterans !
As I got some free time I indulged myself into some submarine campaigning.
I had already played GWX1.0 but not for long (due to time constraints).
Again let me say it is a marvel regarding immersion and historicity and I could never thank enough the modders for their formidable work. I would however mention a few quirks which may already have been addressed before (sorry if it s the case).
First, a good thing, I was unable to install the 1.2 patch despite all my efforts but 1.3 installed flawlessly (bingo !), I read that it must have been "more tolerant", what does it mean exactly (which files are critical) ?
Now the quirks that I find "less palatable" :
- in rough weather when you reload a saved game your crew loses their raincoats (I was not aware of this in previous versions)
- is the fact that my hydrophone officer reports sound contacts when surfaced due to the fact that my sub is constantly in heavy seas (9 days of thunderstorm in a row, weather is really the poorest model in the game but it seems it is practically beyond patching) ?
- Why can I receive radio messages when submerged (again I suspected heavy weather triggering temporary surfacing but it recently happened below 30 metres) ?
None of these quirks are show stoppers and they may be caused by native SH3 code or something I forgot to do in SH3commander (but I followed all the advices), I ask the questions just for the sake of completeness.
Bonus question : does one ace around know a good method to measure distance of targets in heavy seas (last time it was so hard that I had to let my scope high above water for so long that a DD engaged me with machine gun fire (I think) and destroyed the scope ?
Thanks for your opinion and advice.
antidotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-07, 03:03 AM   #1277
Maraz
Navy Dude

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by antidotos
- in rough weather when you reload a saved game your crew loses their raincoats (I was not aware of this in previous versions)
I believe this is a stock bug, to solve that you must ony put for a moment the men in their quarters (so they can take the raincoat they forgot ! ) an put them again on the bridge.

Quote:
- Why can I receive radio messages when submerged (again I suspected heavy weather triggering temporary surfacing but it recently happened below 30 metres) ?
I think real U-Boats could actually receive messages if they were few metres under the surface; but they could not transmit.

Maraz

First career: VIIB
U-54
Current career (Black Sea): IID U-24

GWX 2.1, U-Jagd Tools, 100% difficulty, manual targeting, DiD,

Maraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-07, 04:33 AM   #1278
Canovaro
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 34

Does GWX change the shipping lanes and routes of convoys and single / double ships in open ocean compared to stock sh3?
And the frequency / number of merchant activity?

I need this info for a project I'm about to start: making an online map with contact dots, based on reports by the community.

I need to know if I should use different colours for different mods.

Thanks in advance
Canovaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-07, 06:10 AM   #1279
antidotos
Mate

Downloads: 17
Default quirks (part 2)

Thanks Maraz, I supposed it was a stock bug right from the start regarding raincoats.....
Now, I would really be interested in a discussion about UB radio aerials performance.
antidotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-07, 06:19 AM   #1280
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maraz
I think real U-Boats could actually receive messages if they were few metres under the surface; but they could not transmit.
Maraz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uboat.net
During the WW2 underwater radio communication was very useful. Submarines were able to receive messages from their commands without surfacing, i.e. the submarines could been submerged. The submarines could not be detected by radar, and the Allies' direction finders could not detect submarines' positions because the submarines were not using their radio transmitters, just receivers. But because of the "one way" communication, it was specific organized traffic, by previously determined scheme.
Seek and you shall find:
http://www.uboat.net/articles/index.html?article=35
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-07, 06:01 PM   #1281
KeptinCranky
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 3

a small question,

I've been playing in the med recently, and starting in Salamis I saw german type 34 destroyer in the port, that set me wondering how it got there, surely not through Gibraltar? I'd expect Italians, certainly, but German ships?
I know there are internal canals in France that connect the Med to the Atlantic, so that's certainly conceivable for something like DDs and flottenbegleiters and smaller ships like that.
vorpostenboote and armed trawlers are conceivably recruited locally but specifically German DDs from Kiel and ports like that? It seems quite strange, I'll do some research on Kriegsmarine surface assets in the Med, because it got me intrigued I'd be interested in your views on this matter
KeptinCranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-07, 10:12 PM   #1282
CapnMike U-69
Seaman

Default GWX on Apple Intel iMac?

Hi all,
I'm a total newbie - so sorry for long text and questions!

Have been playing stock SH3 for about a month, getting on OK (87% realism and no manual targetting yet!). Using a new Apple iMac 2.0 GHz (Intel core 2 Duo), 2 GB ram, built-in ATi Radeon X1600 graphics with 128 SDRAM. Win XP and SP2. Stock SH3 runs fine with this, in 'medium' graphics display mode...

Runs CTD-free and very stable. No real problems at all (except some keyboard commands are a bit diff. from on a Win PC). Occasionally have strange 'saving' probs - but I think that's my sticky fingers - or beer volume.

My questions is: Will I be able to run GWX, as I think I will start to get bored with vanilla SH3 quite soon ?!!! PS: The graphics card is not upgradeable - and maybe it's not good enough for GWX?

Are there any other Kaleuns on here running SH3 on an Intel Apple Mac?

I HATE the weather model in SH3, just spent 8 days sitting off NY harbor - but weather too bad (15m/s wind) for any decent tonnage gathering - as cannot find targets !

TIA and happy hunting to all - and may Bernard NOT be with you

MikeC (U-69)
Type IXC, 22 patrols now, and still alive.... JUST ! Dec.1942

Last edited by CapnMike U-69; 05-14-07 at 11:00 PM. Reason: smileys dont show!
CapnMike U-69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-07, 10:20 PM   #1283
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Downloads: 115

From the GWX manual page 18 mate:

The Grey Wolves Expansion (GWX) team suggests your computer meet the
recommended system configuration requirements for Silent Hunter III, and that you use the Silent Hunter III Detection Tool to determine whether your system meets these requirements. We have found that running with less than the recommended configuration can result in choppiness and low frame rates (frames per second), and can occasionally result in freezing or locking up your game.

www.thegreywolves.com
All you need is good men. - Heinrich Lehmann-Willenbrock
Kpt. Lehmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-07, 10:45 PM   #1284
CapnMike U-69
Seaman

Default GWX on Apple Intel iMac

Hi Kapt. Lehmann,
Thanx 4 your very fast reply... I will re-read the GWX manual to check!
Happy Hunting,
Mike
CapnMike U-69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-07, 10:58 PM   #1285
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnMike U-69
Hi Kapt. Lehmann,
Thanx 4 your very fast reply... I will re-read the GWX manual to check!
Happy Hunting,
Mike
No prob matey. I hope it works out for you.

GWX can run on lesser systems... but it is likely to be choppy. If you are having to run stock SH3 on medium graphic settings... I'm thinking that you'll probably have troubles w/GWX.

However, there is really only one way to find out.

www.thegreywolves.com
Old 05-15-07, 09:21 AM   #1286
Paajtor
The Old Man

Downloads: 64
Uploads: 1

Yesteday, I found an odd texture-glitch, while infiltrating the Murmansk-harbor.
3 pics, one showing the location on the map:

A few km's further, the white landscape returned.
Sailing in July'44, GWX1.03.

Paajtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-07, 09:27 AM   #1287
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

@paajtor

I think that's carried from stock SHIII. Me thinks that the guy who made the world for SHIII is the one to blame.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-07, 10:29 AM   #1288
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly
@paajtor

I think that's carried from stock SHIII. Me thinks that the guy who made the world for SHIII is the one to blame.
Correct.

www.thegreywolves.com
Old 05-15-07, 10:41 AM   #1289
GT182
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 658

Remember, there are many things in stock SHIII, even with patch 1.4b that cannot be fixed by a mod or expansion pack. And they will never be fixed unless Ubi allows another patch. So don't hold your breath..... .

No Borders, No Language, No Culture =s No Country

I'm a Deplorable, and proud of it.
GT182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-07, 01:42 PM   #1290
Paajtor
The Old Man

Downloads: 64
Uploads: 1

So apart from trees (I think I remember a "better trees mod"), nothing can be changed about the SH3-landmasses?

Paajtor is offline   Reply With Quote