SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-09-10, 08:44 AM   #106
Von Talon
A-ganger

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 0

Help! I installed my SH3 to my new 7, but when I try to play it, "Error, This application can be launched with a release version of Miscrosoft Windows 95, Osoifhdoaf.." and so on. I have tried to change that funny thing for Windows XP (if you know what I mean), but it doesn't work. Anyone help me plz?
Old 05-12-10, 01:39 PM   #107
lafeeverted
Chief

Downloads: 13

Is it necessary or advisable to delete the SH3 virtual app folder when applying new mods? I seemed to be having trouble with the black sky effect and thinkthis was the cause. I deleted the scene files and think it is working correctly now.
lafeeverted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-10, 04:42 PM   #108
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 302

virtual app folder? What exactly do you mean?
Old 05-12-10, 04:58 PM   #109
lafeeverted
Chief

Downloads: 13

oops

AppData
lafeeverted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-10, 01:32 AM   #110
mkj189
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 164
error

when I play Silent Hunter 3 going into the black when I came past the intro to the game and have it load the game is played in black and I get an error message that says a program fault in the program was not working ....?

mkj189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-10, 05:29 AM   #111
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafeeverted View Post
Is it necessary or advisable to delete the SH3 virtual app folder when applying new mods? I seemed to be having trouble with the black sky effect and thinkthis was the cause. I deleted the scene files and think it is working correctly now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lafeeverted View Post
oops

AppData
Why would you? As far as I can tell there is nothing of SH3 inside the c:\users\your_username\Appdata folder. The only thing that it installs is the game folder in Program Files (which is an undesirable default location due to my previous bigger post), your savegame files and game settings in the SH3 folder in (My) Documents, and some registry settings probably. All changes due to mods are contained in the game folder.
Old 05-15-10, 04:35 AM   #112
Heinz
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 2
Default Windows 7

I can't get SH3 to work.
When I start SH3, I get the message:"This application can be launched with a release version of Microsoft 95 OSR2.1/98/ME/NT4.0/2000/XP/server 2003 only".
What can I do about it ?
Heinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-10, 10:29 AM   #113
piri_reis
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by remowilliams View Post
I'm using Win7/x64 and my native monitor res (1920x1200) reports as 59Hz and causes the lovely appcrash below when trying to launch SH3 at that res.

Found a workaround for having to change the damn desktop resolution down to a mode that reports at 60hz to get SH3 to run.

I installed Display Changer 4.2.0 from 12noon. Now all I need to do is run SH3 from the command line like so:

dc64cmd.exe sh3.exe -width=1920 -height=1200 -refresh=60

And no more 59Hz appcrash, no more fiddling with desktop resolution.
Thank you for this advice. The Display Changer solved my problems.
Running Win7/64bit, with Nvidia 9800GTX. Using Display Changer to modify the desktop resolution before I launch Sh3. (To something like 1024x768)
Also installed the ResFixXP and the game runs perfectly in 1680x1050. No crashes at startup anymore.

Now if I can get this to work with Sh3cmndr too, I'll be happy as a clam.

Lt.z.S. Barbaros Hayreddin, U-35, 2nd Flot/Kiel, Type VIIB
Oct.29.1939, 2nd Patrol Eastern English Waters
Running SH5/TWOS
piri_reis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-10, 06:47 PM   #114
javelina1
Seaman

Downloads: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by supposedtobeworking View Post
Oh my word, I got the bloody thing to work! with Greywolves and widescreen mods!!! here is what I did:

followed the instructions on this forum page in the first post - http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/t...7691096797/p/6

EXCEPT, here is the slight changes I made:

1. Uninstall SH3 if installed already
2. Run SFRemove
3. Reboot
4. Begin installation of SH3 as normal
***change setup.exe properties to Run as Administrator and change for all users. Afer that, Click Troubleshoot Compatibility and click Run with Recommended Settings (WinXP SP2). Now run setup.
***I also changed the installation directory to C:\games\ubisoft\silent hunter III\

5. When you get to Game Shadow cancel install
6. When you get to finish screen DO NOT press Finish. This IS crucial!
7. Install the 1.4 EU DVD patch with Run As Admin
****The EU Patch would not recognize my version, so I used the U.S. Patch. Again, I set it to run as administrator for all users and ran it under recommended compatibility mode.

8. ONLY after Patch has completed hit finish and the launcher screen runs to check system spec and reboot message appears. DO NOT reboot.
***No reboot message showed up for me.
9. Exit spec check. DO NOT choose Launch.
10. Overwrite the files with the NO DVD rld-sh14.rar
11. Run the game. Should now work.

I have no clue how or why this works, but after a few hours of troubleshooting and whining, I'm just happy it does. I did not buy a new copy, but installed from an old DVD with Starforce on it, but of course I didn't launch the game with the DVD so it never installed it. I don't have to change any video settings to make SH3 run, this was all I did, and I can install any mods via JSGME so far including GWX3 and Widescreen fix. I'm running it on a widescreen 18" with 1366x768 native resolution. ha, I was almost going to break down and buy Silent Hunter 5 to make me feel better, but now that SH3 is up and running Ubisoft isn't getting any more of my money.

You sir are my hero!!! this process worked just fine with my Win 7 install. I'm now running SHIII, with GWX3. On my new HP dv6 15" laptop. i3, 4GB DDR3, 7200 SATA drive, and G105 Nvidia (512MB). Looks great. Now when I travel, and can hunt come convoys!!!

thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!
javelina1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-10, 12:49 AM   #115
moscowexile
Navy Dude

Downloads: 206

Last December I bought a new rig with Windows 7 OS, since when my SH3 and 4 have been crashing to desktop after about 20 minutes play. I have tried out all the recommendations given in this thread, but to no avail. The big puzzle for me is that my vanilla SH3 is already patched to 1.4. I bought it in the UK some 3 years ago: it is an ESS632 series Windows DVD-ROM distributed by the Focus organization.

In the end, I gave up the ghost of ever getting my favourite subsims up and running in my system and began eagerly to await the release of SH5.

The least said about that fiasco of a publication the better. Having being greatly disappointed by this release of a seriously flawed product, a product which, furthermore, one never really owns but, basically, hires from its publisher, in that one has to be connected to Ubisoft servers in order to play it, I returned last week to my favourite subsim SH3 in the hopes of getting it up and running again.

I am pretty sure that the root of my problems with SH3 is the screen resolution of my rig. Here are my PC specifications:

CPU: AMD Athlon II x4 620

RAM: 4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 399MHz 6-6-6-18

Graphics: Syncmaster @ 1920x1200, NVIDIA GeForce GT 230

As regards my OS being Home Basic and, therefore, not having the Virtual XP function that higher Windows 7 systems have, I should like to add that I can play on my PC all the games that I previously ran on my old XP OS without any problems at all. These games include the Call of Duty games World At War 5 and Modern Warfare 1 and 2, Assassin's Creed I and II.

I await with great anticipation the advice of my shipmates.

(The lust for destruction is at the same time a creative lust.- Mikhail Bukhanin.)

Last edited by moscowexile; 05-23-10 at 04:14 AM.
moscowexile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-10, 01:07 AM   #116
moscowexile
Navy Dude

I have started to uninstall SH3 GWX3 which, as usual, crashed last night. I intend to install LSH, the latest version of which I came across yesterday. I have just noticed in the LSH installation recommendations that free hard disc space of 20GB is recommended. Perhaps this is the reason why my heavily modded SH3 and SH4 have caused CTD: my free space is at present just on 20GB.

(The lust for destruction is at the same time a creative lust.- Mikhail Bukhanin.)
Old 05-24-10, 01:24 AM   #117
TarJak
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 150
Uploads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by moscowexile View Post
Last December I bought a new rig with Windows 7 OS, since when my SH3 and 4 have been crashing to desktop after about 20 minutes play. I have tried out all the recommendations given in this thread, but to no avail. The big puzzle for me is that my vanilla SH3 is already patched to 1.4. I bought it in the UK some 3 years ago: it is an ESS632 series Windows DVD-ROM distributed by the Focus organization.

In the end, I gave up the ghost of ever getting my favourite subsims up and running in my system and began eagerly to await the release of SH5.

The least said about that fiasco of a publication the better. Having being greatly disappointed by this release of a seriously flawed product, a product which, furthermore, one never really owns but, basically, hires from its publisher, in that one has to be connected to Ubisoft servers in order to play it, I returned last week to my favourite subsim SH3 in the hopes of getting it up and running again.

I am pretty sure that the root of my problems with SH3 is the screen resolution of my rig. Here are my PC specifications:

CPU: AMD Athlon II x4 620

RAM: 4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 399MHz 6-6-6-18

Graphics: Syncmaster @ 1920x1200, NVIDIA GeForce GT 230

As regards my OS being Home Basic and, therefore, not having the Virtual XP function that higher Windows 7 systems have, I should like to add that I can play on my PC all the games that I previously ran on my old XP OS without any problems at all. These games include the Call of Duty games World At War 5 and Modern Warfare 1 and 2, Assassin's Creed I and II.

I await with great anticipation the advice of my shipmates.
Any clues on the error or symptoms would be helpful for getting you help.
TarJak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-10, 03:22 AM   #118
moscowexile
Navy Dude

The only event that I can identify as being symptomatic is that the game always crashes after about 20 minutes or so of play. I think that this may have something to do with the graphics because the CTD always occurs shortly after I have torpedoed a couple of large tankers, which are then blazing away furiously with copious volumes of smoke, either in the individual mission Paukenschlag or in a carreeer mission from Lorient. I do this so as to test the computer as I know I can slot a couple of tankers pretty quickly using the "turkey shoot" off the US coast 1941 or hitting a large convoy southwest of Kinsale Head, Ireland, 1941. Other than that, the game runs hunkey dorey right up to the CTD: no glitches or frame stuttering, freezes etc.

This always happens with modded GWX3. The same set up never caused any problems with XP.

However, I should like to add that since writing last, I have installed the latest version of LSH. So far, I've had no CTD.

Touch wood!

Old 05-24-10, 07:50 PM   #119
TarJak
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 150
Uploads: 8

Sounds more like a mod conflict to me than either a Win7 or GWX problem. what mods were you running on GWX? The easiest way to diagnose problems with mod compatability is to load them one at a time until all you see a CTD. Then take the most recent mod out until you don't see anymore CTD's.
TarJak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-10, 02:28 PM   #120
moscowexile
Navy Dude

Yeah, I've come to that conclusion myself. And I noticed the other day that some of the mods load into the game folder as well as into the right hand side of the generic mod enabler, which I always use for adding mods. And I think the culprit is the extended repair time one and the patches that I have to load with it for some GWX mods that have already beeen added. They might have to go in a certain order.

Here are the mods that I've been using and the order in which I have added them:

GWX - 16 km
GWX - Integrated Orders
GWX - Cpt America
GWX - Enhanced Damage Effects
GWX - Late War Sensors
GWX - No Medals
GWX - VIIC41 Player Sub
GWX3 - Ueber Alles Harbor Kit Final
GWX3 Wilhelmshafe, St Nazaire, Schleuse xtra ships V.6
WAC4.1 SubPen_animated_18.02.2010
OLC's modified searchlight
Waterstream combi vers 2.3 for GWX
WB's extra ships for Wilhelmshafen
LRT v2.04 Full
EDE-LRT 2.04 Full patch
Intefrated Orders - LRT 2.04 Full patch
GWX Atlantic and US East only
Atmospheric sound package
DBSM
DBSM_SH3_speech_fix
RaptOrs's DBSM Addon
RaptOrs's DBSM Addon Yes Sir Patch
RaptOrs's DBSM Addon [Fix 1.4]
Radio Deutscland
Das Boot Clothes
Carotio_SH3_Seafloormod_256mb

Too many, perhaps?

But adding mods has become an insatiable urge with me: I'm a mod junkey, I tell you! I'm dependent on mods. Do I need to see a shrink?