SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-21-10, 12:14 PM   #106
XabbaRus
Navy Seal

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

TLAM you seem to have some smoothing issues on the flight deck giving those funny black/dark areas where polygons meet.

Do you do an autosmooth of the polygons? That fixings most things.
Old 11-21-10, 12:29 PM   #107
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 6

The vertex count was so high that I had to use the mesh smooth > iterations = 0 trick just to get it to export.

It looks funny but it was the only way to use the model with out a massive rebuild.

On another topic,
New Flankers for LWAMI:

TLAM Strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-10, 03:50 PM   #108
FERdeBOER
XO

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 1

Beautiful!!!
Old 11-21-10, 04:28 PM   #109
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERdeBOER View Post
Beautiful!!!
Thanks.

I made some Generic MiG 21s for all the minor countries.

Old 11-21-10, 05:53 PM   #110
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

As requested by FERdeBOER the Descubierta class corvette...

Old 11-22-10, 06:10 AM   #111
FERdeBOER
XO

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLAM Strike View Post
As requested by FERdeBOER the Descubierta class corvette...
Thank you very much, I will repay your effort and I'm on the way of creating a Campaign for your mod... the first seven missions are almost completed, so I'm also thinking about releasing it in two parts...
Old 11-22-10, 07:23 AM   #112
XabbaRus
Navy Seal

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLAM Strike View Post
The vertex count was so high that I had to use the mesh smooth > iterations = 0 trick just to get it to export.

It looks funny but it was the only way to use the model with out a massive rebuild.

On another topic,
New Flankers for LWAMI:
OK but try autosmooth on the polygons. I had that with a vessel I built and once autosmooth was used it went away.
Old 11-22-10, 09:37 AM   #113
Frying Tiger
Sonalysts Man

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by XabbaRus View Post
OK but try autosmooth on the polygons. I had that with a vessel I built and once autosmooth was used it went away.
As a note, the DW graphics engine will try to smooth all seams with welded vertexes (i.e you don't get any hard edges at all!). If you want something to shade flat, separate out those polygons into a new object (don't go nuts, however... there is a limit to how many objects you can have) or double up the vertexes along where you want the seams.

I've been able to make much nicer looking models with that trick. It does tend to make the shadow projection wonky, however.

"the atom-powered submarine: Her engines were to be a miracle of speed and power, her sides strong enough to withstand any blow... The mind of man had thought of everything - except that which was beyond his comprehension!"
Frying Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-10, 10:25 AM   #114
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frying Tiger View Post
As a note, the DW graphics engine will try to smooth all seams with welded vertexes (i.e you don't get any hard edges at all!). If you want something to shade flat, separate out those polygons into a new object (don't go nuts, however... there is a limit to how many objects you can have) or double up the vertexes along where you want the seams.

I've been able to make much nicer looking models with that trick. It does tend to make the shadow projection wonky, however.
Frying Tiger FTW!

I did a test where I detached the polygons around the forward elevator and it looks nice, you can compare it to the way it was before by looking at the elevator behind it.

Old 11-22-10, 11:53 AM   #115
dd149
Soundman

Downloads: 183

Looks great, superb work again.
dd149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-10, 12:01 PM   #116
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Hey, good to know that the sonalyst guys are still around

Wellcome back FT

And TLAM, your new aircraft ROCK!! It's great to see them joining the roster, but again as I requested already long ago, please consider adding more civilian craft ... in modern warfare it's almost mandatory to have innocent civilians around, and not harming them is an added difficulty that makes the missions more interesting.
Old 11-23-10, 04:11 AM   #117
Seamutt
Watch

Downloads: 12

Ok, I've been thinking too much again....

-A helo can visually detect a sub down to 25 meters. When visually identifying a sub does it send link data that the sub is surfaced or submerged?

-biological(s) should be on the classify list. Atleast as a general biological unit.

-How do people handle ambiguities while using subs? Is it common to just ignore it on the waterfall (untag it when you determine which one is real) or is it better to tag it and have it show up on the NAV map? I prefer to have it on the NAV map so every thing on sonar shows up on the NAV map as something. All information is right there (6 audio tracks in waterfall, 6 contacts on map). I would like to classify the ambiguity as something other than unknown or the real object. Could we create an object named 'ambiguity' and add it to the list? We don't even need a 3D model for it. Or does anybody have any ideas/advice/ real life experience?

-How far out (max NM) does the TIW alert work? Many times I can't hear anything on sonar, but I get a TIW. Is this realistic? What if a sub is faced 180 degrees and deep and across the layer with when he fires? (depends on distance and environment, I know) Does the alert still come? Do AI players and human players alike get a TIW alert? I assume TIW comes if ownship is less than a set distance from the launch/drop and not based on sonar.

-It seems that ASW armed helicopter's torps just disappear after being dropped if the depth is less then about 100ft. What is the ASW helo's torpedo depth set at? I think I remember reading somewhere that in LWAMI the ASuW helo's torpedos will not attack subs (and vice versa). Is this true?

-Sometimes I can see in the replay that a torpedo tracks and then has gone directly through the enemy sub. There were no CM. How did he dodge the bullet? Are there ninja subs in LWAMI? This was done in the littorals (about 200ft) so I can't see depth change as an evasive maneuver.

This probably has nothing to do with LWAMI:
-many times I cannot mark something, but the autocrew can. what gives? Example is the grams on FFG.
Old 11-23-10, 03:24 PM   #118
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamutt View Post
Ok, I've been thinking too much again....

-A helo can visually detect a sub down to 25 meters. When visually identifying a sub does it send link data that the sub is surfaced or submerged?
Usually, the altitude displayed in the 3D window is accurate for links. But I've seen submarines falsely reported as surfaced before. There's nothing wrong with assigning the CAS to the contact and checking out the Helo's camera view. Or assigning the STIR and seeing if the FIRE button lights up for the SM-2, for that matter.

Quote:
-biological(s) should be on the classify list. Atleast as a general biological unit.
"Biologic" is on the classification list.

Quote:
Could we create an object named 'ambiguity' and add it to the list?
That's what the "Unknown" Nav symbol is for. Besides, adding an empty Class will cause DW to crash at startup. I probably had to restore backup DBs and redo my work a dozen times before I figured that one out.

Quote:
-How far out (max NM) does the TIW alert work? Many times I can't hear anything on sonar, but I get a TIW. Is this realistic? What if a sub is faced 180 degrees and deep and across the layer with when he fires? (depends on distance and environment, I know) Does the alert still come? Do AI players and human players alike get a TIW alert? I assume TIW comes if ownship is less than a set distance from the launch/drop and not based on sonar.
I don't have a specific answer here. I think you should fire up the mission editor and test that out and report back. What I can tell you is that the layer does have an effect since 1.03. For same-side of the layer I would look at 30nm as a limit since that seems to be a "magic number" in DW. And I'd look for a different result in Bottom Limited with Sand/Mud bottom types. Finally, I'm 99% sure aspect doesn't matter.

Quote:
-It seems that ASW armed helicopter's torps just disappear after being dropped if the depth is less then about 100ft. What is the ASW helo's torpedo depth set at? I think I remember reading somewhere that in LWAMI the ASuW helo's torpedos will not attack subs (and vice versa). Is this true?
The doctrine is set to enable the ASUW safety if the shooting platform fires on a submerged target, and to turn the safety off if the target is at or near the surface. The search depth is somewhat random, but if the result is below the bottom it will be set to run 30ft above the bottom. I'd say the torpedo is hitting the ground off the drop, not trying to search below the bottom.

Quote:
-Sometimes I can see in the replay that a torpedo tracks and then has gone directly through the enemy sub. There were no CM. How did he dodge the bullet? Are there ninja subs in LWAMI? This was done in the littorals (about 200ft) so I can't see depth change as an evasive maneuver.
Depends on the torpedo (seeker quality), the target (size, anechoic tiles), and the target's aspect. And although it's far from common, I've even seen a few torpedoes not be able to hack the turn against a beaming target, not unlike an IR missile in pure pursuit with a very narrow field of view. It's definiltey possible to shake a torpedo lose with manuevering with this mod (but I wouldn't recommend it as a tactic against ADCAPs or UGSTs... maybe USETs and MPT's... should be effective against APRs since they can't re-attack...)

Quote:
This probably has nothing to do with LWAMI:
-many times I cannot mark something, but the autocrew can. what gives? Example is the grams on FFG.
The grams are flukey sometimes. Sometimes you have to click the right part of the contact. For some passive contacts it won't let you mark at all for some reason (after you've marked it once before). Been that way since 1.0, although it got better around 1.02 I think.
Old 11-24-10, 05:01 AM   #119
Radio
Planesman

Downloads: 339
I promise I will make missions for LWAMI once 3.11 has been released

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-10, 07:11 AM   #120
Seamutt
Watch

Downloads: 12

Quote:
"Biologic" is on the classification list.
funny, I don't have it on my list. Is there an easy way to add it? or is it more trouble than its worth?

Quote:
That's what the "Unknown" Nav symbol is for.
Unknown would be if I didn't know what it was. But I know it is a double of a real contact.

Quote:
I don't have a specific answer here. I think you should fire up the mission editor and test that out and report back.
Ok, I will play around with it.

Tags
lwami