SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-20-12, 08:24 PM   #1171
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

Downloads: 105
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by frau kaleun View Post
The Magigolo can be... dealt with.
Funny you should mention that....I won't tell you how I completed Boethiah's quest.

Want more U-boat Kaleun portraits for your SH3 Commander Profiles? Download the SH3 Commander Portrait Pack here.
mookiemookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-12, 08:45 PM   #1172
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookiemookie View Post
Funny you should mention that....I won't tell you how I completed Boethiah's quest.
Ugh. I went there with my first character and was offered the chance to commune with Boethiah but already knowing what the quest was, didn't want to get it.

Stumbled across the spot again with this character and decided just to kill everyone there and ended up being given the quest anyway. Now I've got the blade on display somewhere with a couple other Daedric weapons I acquired but I'm not sure I have the stomach to actually complete the mission. I don't really want the reward so I may just let it pass. I haven't encountered a potential follower yet that I dislike enough.

Altho if they come up with a legit way for me to marry Ulfric... and I do have the Khajiit mage from the College as a potential follower now so, you know, loyal wizards are a bit more expendable than they used to be. I only really married the Magigolo so I wouldn't have to keep tracking him down and paying him over and over again.

Of course Lydia did cross my mind, lol. I don't use the Blades for anything and if I do then sooner or later they're gonna ask me to do That Thing I Won't Do and end up washing their hands of me anyway. I don't suppose the AI would have them go hostile over Lydia and become active enemies but even so it's not like they're ever going to come out of the Karthspire temple as far as I can tell.

If only I could have the one that was so pushy on that recent dungeon exploration, she would be the likeliest candidate at the moment. I just need someone really expendable AND despicable enough.

Edit @ Dowly: That tricky trick with the Merchants and the Mannekins mods worked like a charm! Now my wedding dress has boobies again and General Tullius's armor doesn't!
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-12, 09:28 PM   #1173
Krauter
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 102

Quote:
Ugh. I went there with my first character and was offered the chance to commune with Boethiah but already knowing what the quest was, didn't want to get it.

Stumbled across the spot again with this character and decided just to kill everyone there and ended up being given the quest anyway. Now I've got the blade on display somewhere with a couple other Daedric weapons I acquired but I'm not sure I have the stomach to actually complete the mission. I don't really want the reward so I may just let it pass. I haven't encountered a potential follower yet that I dislike enough.

Altho if they come up with a legit way for me to marry Ulfric... and I do have the Khajiit mage from the College as a potential follower now so, you know, loyal wizards are a bit more expendable than they used to be. I only really married the Magigolo so I wouldn't have to keep tracking him down and paying him over and over again.

Of course Lydia did cross my mind, lol. I don't use the Blades for anything and if I do then sooner or later they're gonna ask me to do That Thing I Won't Do and end up washing their hands of me anyway. I don't suppose the AI would have them go hostile over Lydia and become active enemies but even so it's not like they're ever going to come out of the Karthspire temple as far as I can tell.

If only I could have the one that was so pushy on that recent dungeon exploration, she would be the likeliest candidate at the moment. I just need someone really expendable AND despicable enough.

Edit @ Dowly: That tricky trick with the Merchants and the Mannekins mods worked like a charm! Now my wedding dress has boobies again and General Tullius's armor doesn't!
Hmm.. if you have the DB quests finished just take an initiate.. otherwise grab someone from the companions or Thieves guild you don't like.
Old 02-20-12, 09:28 PM   #1174
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Glad to hear you got it sorted Frau Kaleun.

In other news, just went to Blackreach for the first time, wow.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-12, 10:00 PM   #1175
Krauter
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly View Post

Aye, it's really something. I actually kind of like it, apart from having to get through the huge creepy dwarven ruin to get there.
Old 02-20-12, 10:49 PM   #1176
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krauter View Post
Hmm.. if you have the DB quests finished just take an initiate.. otherwise grab someone from the companions or Thieves guild you don't like.
First of all, there is no more Dark Brotherhood in Skyrim.

Excepting for Cicero and Babette, I assume, who are apparently holed up in the Dawnstar Sanctuary where I can't get to them. They can stay there. I don't need Babette for training and I had enough of Cicero when I kept passing him on the road north out of Whiterun.

Second, I don't think I could use one of the Companions like that. It's an honor thing. I don't care for Aela as a follower or for the way she used me when I was a whelp to help with her vendetta against the Silver Hand (altho they seemed deserving enough after I saw the insides of their hideouts), however she was one of the few Companions who was always welcoming when I first joined. Perhaps because she had plans for me and wanted to ingratiate herself, OTOH she was initially the most accepting of me as Harbinger. Now there *is* Skjor who is technically already dead but I don't know if he's available as a follower what with the whole "I'm dead but I keep showing up anyway" thing.

I haven't joined the Thieves Guild yet - and may never do so with this character - but that's certainly something to store away for future reference. If in a future playthrough I take the other option with the DB then the problem may solve itself. I'd have to be playing someone evil enough not to care about betraying a follower's trust like that.

Quote:

Um... yeah. I really wanted to stick around and explore and thought I had until I looked at a full map of the place online later. As it was once I got what I came for (after getting lost a couple times and dying once and reloading) I just got out and went about my business. Will probably go back eventually OTOH Falmer ew.

Quote:
Aye, it's really something. I actually kind of like it, apart from having to get through the huge creepy dwarven ruin to get there.
If you take the time to go up in more of the Dwemer lifts the first time you go through there - both Alftand and Blackreach - you can open a lot of previously locked surface access points from the inside. You don't have to use them for anything to finish that particular quest - just go up to the surface, open the surface gate, and go right back down. But it provides more points of access for both places later on if you want to go back, so you don't have to go through the Alftand Glacial Ruins or even go back to Alftand unless you want to. I'm pretty sure there's at least one lift that you can use to get from the surface into Blackreach without going through any of the midlevel ruins, maybe two.
Old 02-21-12, 07:52 AM   #1177
Krauter
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
First of all, there is no more Dark Brotherhood in Skyrim.

Excepting for Cicero and Babette, I assume, who are apparently holed up in the Dawnstar Sanctuary where I can't get to them. They can stay there. I don't need Babette for training and I had enough of Cicero when I kept passing him on the road north out of Whiterun.
Ah, I didn't know... wait how are Cicero and Babette still alive if you've destroyed the Brotherhood?

Also Cicero is probably my least/most favorite follower at times. Particularly when I pass him in the Dawnstar Sanctuary and he just blurts out "Let's kill something *Mad cackle*"

Quote:
Now there *is* Skjor who is technically already dead but I don't know if he's available as a follower what with the whole "I'm dead but I keep showing up anyway" thing.
Well, what I learned you could do is, take one follower, or "friend" for the ebony blade, and kill them, and then afterwards use the reanimate body spell and kill them again and rinse/repeat... works like a charm.

Quote:
I haven't joined the Thieves Guild yet - and may never do so with this character - but that's certainly something to store away for future reference. If in a future playthrough I take the other option with the DB then the problem may solve itself. I'd have to be playing someone evil enough not to care about betraying a follower's trust like that.
There's GOT to be someone you don't care for

[QUOTE[ If you take the time to go up in more of the Dwemer lifts the first time you go through there - both Alftand and Blackreach - you can open a lot of previously locked surface access points from the inside. You don't have to use them for anything to finish that particular quest - just go up to the surface, open the surface gate, and go right back down. But it provides more points of access for both places later on if you want to go back, so you don't have to go through the Alftand Glacial Ruins or even go back to Alftand unless you want to. I'm pretty sure there's at least one lift that you can use to get from the surface into Blackreach without going through any of the midlevel ruins, maybe two.[/QUOTE]

Ah never thought of this, might have to try this next time though as it was a pain in the arse to go through the Dwemer ruin ON TOP of Blackreach just to get to it
Old 02-21-12, 08:24 AM   #1178
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Ah never thought of this, might have to try this next time though as it was a pain in the arse to go through the Dwemer ruin ON TOP of Blackreach just to get to it
The first time you go to Blackreach, you must go via the Dwemer ruins. But once
you're there, you find few elevators that take you straight to the surface and
can be later used to go directly to Blackreach.

Heh, the game kicked up the difficulty quite a bit when I went after Alduin after
capturing the other dragon. Not a very good place to be as a dual wielder.
Old 02-21-12, 08:42 AM   #1179
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
The first time you go to Blackreach, you must go via the Dwemer ruins. But once
you're there, you find few elevators that take you straight to the surface and
can be later used to go directly to Blackreach.
You sure? It seems that the gates at the express lifts stay open only for some time, then close again and cannot be opened from outside again.

---

I admit that I implemented a cheat now. The need to smithe ad infinitum daggers and then more daggers just to improve the skill levels needed to gain smithing perks, became a bit too boring and repetitive. I will allow my self to use addperk xyz to gain certain smithing perks when i gain certain character level ranks. That deletes this pointless repetitiveness, but still establishes kind of a level qualification to gain the highest smithing honours. Whilwe the mines are open always, their supply is limited due to a timing factor, and certain ore does not get traded in towns and market places below certain character level ranks anyway.

I never use potions. In no game I ever played, i think, I used potions. While i use enchanted items, I do not use spells either. Either I am too lazy, or I simply forget that these options exist. And precious potions I find, make some fine heaps of coins.

In my second game, I cannot bring myself to lining up with any of the two civil war factions. I found my own solution - I slay both their patrols from a distance and from behind, I prefer to slay Talmor, and also like to slay Imperials, but I also slay Stromcloaks, for principle reasons, and reasons of a more balanced justice of statistics. I told them all: Hey, leave me alone, but they continue to stumble over my paths and ways, and since letting witnesses escape would mean to see my bounty going through the ceiling, I cannot afford to let them escape at all. At least there are enough deities around in Skyrim's mythology so that somebody sooner or later gets them all sorted nevertheless.

Well, good morning everybody, nice to meet me.
Old 02-21-12, 09:24 AM   #1180
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
You sure? It seems that the gates at the express lifts stay open only for some time, then close again and cannot be opened from outside again.
Haven't seen them closing yet (got 2 lifts open atm), but then again, it's only 2-3
game days since I opened them.

Dunno what the point is if they do indeed close after a time, dungeons take 30 days
to reset, so if the lifts close before that then the player just have to run through
the empty dwemer ruins again.
Old 02-21-12, 09:30 AM   #1181
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Do you have an Attunement Sphere still in your inventory? Some Dwemer stuff can't be accessed unless you have it, although I don't know if that applies to gates on Dwemer lifts. And I'm not sure it's possible to get the thing out of your inventory once you've got it.

OTOH it doesn't weigh anything so I just keep it on me.

Quote:
Whilwe the mines are open always, their supply is limited due to a timing factor, and certain ore does not get traded in towns and market places below certain character level ranks anyway.
There are TONS of open ore veins in Skyrim, especially iron and corundum at least IME. I hardly ever travel anywhere on foot without finding at least one I haven't mined yet. But you do have to go off the beaten path quite a bit to come across them and sometimes fight off whatever creatures you encounter in the vicinity.

Also leveling up in Speech and taking perks there helps a lot if you're trying to buy and sell raw materials, there are perks for making every merchant show you his/her entire inventory regardless of your own "status" and allowing you to buy/sell/barter any and all items with every merchant.

Quote:
I never use potions. In no game I ever played, i think, I used potions. While i use enchanted items, I do not use spells either. Either I am too lazy, or I simply forget that these options exist. And precious potions I find, make some fine heaps of coins.
I make a lot that I think I'll use but then rarely use them in the heat of action. I will sometimes poison a weapon if I see a fight with a really powerful opponent coming up, but stuff to Fortify different skills of my own? I completely forget about.

I'm playing around more with spells and magic now, just because it's different and more of a challenge and honestly I feel *bad* being the Arch Mage and still being such a lousy magician. It's almost embarrassing going to the College and interacting with people there.
Old 02-21-12, 09:43 AM   #1182
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Ah, I didn't know... wait how are Cicero and Babette still alive if you've destroyed the Brotherhood?
You can't kill Babette because apparently she is tagged as an NPC child and is unkillable. So the game never sets you up to be in combat against her. If you opt not to join the DB and take the Destroy quest she will not be in Falkreath when you go there and, as far as I can tell, never appears anywhere, ever. Cicero... I don't know. It's possible I killed him in Falkreath and just don't remember. There was so much killing that day, so very very much. I know I didn't loot any Jester gear but it's possible I just didn't want it.

Edit: actually come to think of it, I seem to remember the Mother's remains being in Falkreath Sanctuary... so probably he got there and I did kill him.

Anyway you never kill *all* of the DB, just enough to take them out of the game as a working faction. As far as I can tell there is nothing about them that affects your character or gameplay after the Destroy quest is completed. I can only assume that anyone left is hiding out in Dawnstar, where else would they go? You can't get in without a password that is unavailable if you don't join and play out the DB quests. But even going there and banging on the door a few times doesn't seem to rouse the survivor(s) to vengeance.

Quote:
There's GOT to be someone you don't care for
Oh plenty of people, but none of them potential followers yet. And even there it's more a matter of what the quest requires of *me* and less a matter of who I find irritating or despicable enough to use in that fashion. Killing someone outright for reasons that I can justify to myself (or because they are hostile anyway) is one thing. Betraying someone whose trust I've earned, and probably deliberately sought in order to betray them... that's a whole different thing. For this character, it's probably not gonna happen. As I said, I don't even want the reward, so why bother? I have a memento of the day I wiped out their little cult hanging on my wall, so far that's enough.
Old 02-21-12, 11:53 AM   #1183
Task Force
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 85

Or, you could do like I did. Took that one mage in the inn in the rift.

you may have to hire him, but you can loot him for it afterwords (at least I could).

(yay for ebony chain mail armor!!! It was totally worth the mage.)

Though I should have murdered the cult before hand... I could have charged up my Ebony blade.
Old 02-21-12, 11:58 AM   #1184
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Task Force View Post
Or, you could do like I did. Took that one mage in the inn in the rift.

Looks like someone's out of the loop on me and the Magigolo.
Old 02-21-12, 12:16 PM   #1185
BossMark
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 278

I really love this game up to about 3 weeks ago played it everyday with my Nord female warrior\stealth character.
I played it with a few mods mostly texture mods but I am now waiting for the unofficial patch to be released then I will start over also with a few more mods added.
But overhaul this game is bloody awesome