SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-14-12, 10:05 AM   #1096
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168
Uploads: 0

Okay seriously please tell me how to get rid of this dang horse. He is following me EVERYWHERE. I can't sell him, I can't talk to him to tell him to "stay," and I don't want to kill the poor critter. I guess I could just ride him until I get attacked by something and then in theory he would get into the fight and maybe he'd get killed but from what I understand even standard horsies in Skyrim are pretty sturdy.

I have just obtained the Elder Scroll and need to go back to the TotW, any chance that if I climb almost to the top and fast travel the rest of the way he will hang around and STILL be there when You Know Who shows up? Will he act as a meatshield and get taken out and then I can mourn him for two fractions of a second and move on, happily horseless?

I'm not sure about him taking part in a fight though, usually when I have ridden him and dismount he just wanders off in some apparently random direction. Can't remember if there were enemies about when that happened though. But he would probably just start climbing back down the 7000 Steps anyway as soon as he realized I wasn't gonna ride him anywhere.

Maybe I should ride him back to where I first got on him and leave him there and see what happens.

Altho I have to admit it's kinda fun to fast travel to bizarre places that would be virtually inaccessible to him, like the overhanging outdoor balcony of some huge Dwemer ruin, and have him be standing there like he just went through the entire dungeon and came out the door behind me.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-12, 10:08 AM   #1097
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Fus-ro-dah his ass off a cliff.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-12, 10:29 AM   #1098
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly View Post
But that's so mean! I'm not a mean person! I don't want to kill him, I just want him to leave me alone. Or at least stay in one damn place.

Seriously though if I kill him do I acquire a bounty and how much is it? Small enough that I can pay it off and not do time?
Old 02-14-12, 10:32 AM   #1099
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Don't think there's going to be a bounty if no one sees you kill it.
Old 02-14-12, 06:24 PM   #1100
soopaman2
Der Alte

Downloads: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly View Post
The ever hilarious problem solver. Fast travle to high Hrothgar, Fus ro Dah...Follower neutralized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frau kaleun View Post
But that's so mean! I'm not a mean person! I don't want to kill him, I just want him to leave me alone. Or at least stay in one damn place.

Seriously though if I kill him do I acquire a bounty and how much is it? Small enough that I can pay it off and not do time?
I once attacked a group of Khajits on the road, deep in the wilderness.

Upon the first and second deaths I got bounty messages. Upon killing the last one, the bounty evaporated.

No witnesses, no bounty.

No worries about being mean. I am sure the bandits, and draugrs think you are mean as well.

So leave your morals at the door and follow my simple checklist!

1: travel to high hrothgar.
2: Back horse up to precarious edge of mountain.
3: FUS RO DA!
4: Laugh at tumbling equine form.
5: Profit!

Rinse and repeat, this is hilarious to do with Faendal or Lydia.

-Winston Churchill-

The most fascinating man in the world.
soopaman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-12, 06:54 PM   #1101
andritsos
Gunner

Downloads: 71

On my way for the elder scroll i reached the sort of magic university where i had to travel much north to that crazy man's refuge. was so bored at the distance, the fact that i was on altitude too. I think for a second ;i watch the sea water below me and i jump hoping that isnt really shallow my best achievement to avoid a long walk at nowhere ( apparently). On mountains etc, still have little things to see and discover, but that north, nothing much just sea elephants.

Been addicted to the game. Was so excited when i became first time werewulf with some cool sequences of screenshots too. also the killing of dragons are cool. love that they added these from fallout.
Dont know how the story goes, but i am interested to see how the thalmor situation develops....
As i write i came up only with a question: How to use soul gems ?

I like it , it got my interest. Its like skooma
andritsos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-12, 09:21 PM   #1102
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

^

Soul gems are used for "charging" magical weapons. They are also used for enchanting weapons and armour.

To be of use, the gem needs to be loaded with a soul. The bigger the soul, the greater a gem is needed. Empty gems are cheaper than filled ones. Bigger gems are more expensive than smaller ones.

Normal soul gems can hold souls of animals and most enemies you stumble over. For the soul of humans however, you need a black soul gem.

If the soul gem holds no soul, you can catch one by killing an enemy. For that you need the magic spell of catching souls (do not know how they are named in English, for I play the German version). Or you kill the enemy with a weapon enchanted with a soul catcher spell, then it is an automatic feature if you carry an empty gem. A soul caught but you having no empty gem, is lost.

A gem is destroyed when its soul is consumed. A gem can hold only one soul. Several souls do not add in one gem. A big gem can hold a smaller soul. A small gem will hold only to its own maximum value a bigger soul.

The Deadric quest Star of Azura will allow you to win the only soul gem that can be used (charged and emptied) unlimited times.

When used for enchanting items, the spell and magic is the stronger or the weapon can hold more charging power, the bogger a soul is being spend on the enchanting. There is the possibility that items can hold even two enchantements. The same effect put on several items, often is cumulative. Armour holds defensive magic. Weapons hold offensive magic. Different pieces of armour allow different defensive spells, not every spell can be used on every armour piece.
Old 02-14-12, 09:24 PM   #1103
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
The Deadric quest Star of Azura will allow you to win the only soul gem that can be used (charged and emptied) unlimited times.
And depending on how you choose to end it, it can be a 'Black' Azura's star, meaning that you can also capture human souls with it, which are all Grand Souls. Of course, you probably will have a daedric prince gunning for you for the rest of your life, but that is okay; there won't be any in-game difficulties.
Takeda Shingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-12, 09:34 PM   #1104
Skybird
Soaring

I usually carry a 1-handed sword or small axe in slot 1, a bow in 2, and a dagger in 3. The knife is my (black) soul catcher.

Soul catcher can also be made use of ifattached as the second of two magical effects on your weapons - one weapon effect, and the soul catcher. If you have a black Azura, you never run out of big souls as long as you can sneak on Los Bandidos.

Azura gem was present already in Oblivion.
Old 02-15-12, 08:26 AM   #1105
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by andritsos View Post
On my way for the elder scroll i reached the sort of magic university where i had to travel much north to that crazy man's refuge. was so bored at the distance, the fact that i was on altitude too. I think for a second ;i watch the sea water below me and i jump hoping that isnt really shallow my best achievement to avoid a long walk at nowhere ( apparently). On mountains etc, still have little things to see and discover, but that north, nothing much just sea elephants.
You might be surprised at what you find beneath the water just off shore, lol. Trick is you have to be able to stay under long enough to thoroughly explore. Waterbreathing potions or apparel enchanted for that purpose helps.

Quote:
How to use soul gems ?
Basics covered in replies above but here's a wiki page, you will find links at the wiki to other related subjects.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Soul_Gem
Old 02-15-12, 08:35 AM   #1106
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Soul catcher can also be made use of ifattached as the second of two magical effects on your weapons - one weapon effect, and the soul catcher.
And if you learn the Fiery Soul Trap enchantment, you can combine that with another effect (assuming you have the extra effect perk) and get what amounts to *three* effects on one weapon. I almost always use it instead of the basic Soul Trap.
Old 02-15-12, 04:35 PM   #1107
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

For me, I find that a high value in any of the physical combat skills (one-handed/two-handed/archery) virtually eliminates the need for enchanted weapons and relying on soul gems.
Takeda Shingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-12, 05:00 PM   #1108
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeda Shingen View Post
For me, I find that a high value in any of the physical combat skills (one-handed/two-handed/archery) virtually eliminates the need for enchanted weapons and relying on soul gems.
I got the impression - and Google seems to indicate that many people think so - that at higher ranks or higher item values the game is a bit "dysbalanced". I prefer to play the sneaking archer-type of isolationist, it was like that in Oblivion already. Where in Oblvion you sometimes had to rain clouds and clouds of arrows onto strong enemies (ogres), in Skyrim is began okay but now, at a higher rank, has started to become too easy. Arrow to the head gives so much damage that it easily kills with the first strike, except just some bosses. I read that sneaking also becomes too excessive at the really high skill levels and cumulated perks.

Levelling in general is a very difficult art to design well. I know no perfect implementation of it in any game.

I just got the idea, while writing this, that I could try to have a ring, a necklace, and two poiece sof armour, all enchnated with smithing, if possible enchnated with biggest soul gems. That should give me the ability to smithe some real uber-valued armour on every skill level I pass, I guess.

Oh, and I got the Skyrim book today. Thick heap of paper. I simply love these kind of books, have the one for Fallout GOTY and Oblivion/Shivering Isle as well. The one on Oblivion is the best-designed of them all.

I wonder if they plan to implement an ingame-portal to switch between Skyrim and Oblivion. Yoputube videos illustrate that Skyrim seems to have a first attempt of such an intrface implemented - you can see the Imperial tower from Oblivion from some places in Skyrim, and even can use "tfc" to move from Skyrim to Oblivion and hover over the capital city. To switch ingame between both game installations, to walk from one world into the other, live - that would be a gag, really! Maybe even replace textures and trees in Oblivion with those from Skyrim...

P.S. To have a fire enchantement for your bow is nice because you can tell even at great distance if you have hit the target, or not.
Old 02-15-12, 07:31 PM   #1109
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
I just got the idea, while writing this, that I could try to have a ring, a necklace, and two poiece sof armour, all enchnated with smithing, if possible enchnated with biggest soul gems. That should give me the ability to smithe some real uber-valued armour on every skill level I pass, I guess.
The Fortify Smithing enchantment can't be applied to apparel destined for all six possible locations (head, neck, body, feet, hands, finger) but it can be applied and equipped in enough spots to make a noticeable difference. For the ones that I can't get the smithing enchantment on, I put Fortify Carry Weight instead. It is *very* useful if you have a large supply of raw materials that you want to use for crafting and would like to carry them all to the appropriate crafting areas without being overencumbered.

With double enchantments I can max out both on one set of apparel, and still have "room" left over to throw in some Fortify Alteration and Magicka Regen enchantments... very useful for me since I use the Transmute spell to turn iron ore into silver and gold and it goes a lot quicker that way.

There is also a unique item at the Throat of the World that will give you extra smithing abilities when equipped and since it's classed as a weapon it can be used with any additional apparel that you've enchanted for that purpose. But there's no path to it, you have to look around (and... er... up) in order to find it. It's a bit of an Easter Egg but a very useful one. I never leave home without it.

I have completely different sets of enchanted apparel for crafting in order to max out smithing and alchemy, but with armor and especially while playing at a higher level with decent combat skills anyway I decline the Fortify enchantments for combat skills (where possible) and opt to give myself a boost in other areas like Fortify Health and various Resist enchantments, which are *always* useful no matter which weapons I'm carrying or using at the moment. The same with Waterbreathing and Muffle. And I use Fortify Carry Weight where possible on armor as well, with the Steed Stone blessing also in effect I never have to worry about finding some place to stash a lot of heavy loot because it's too much to carry and keep adventuring.

Quote:
Oh, and I got the Skyrim book today. Thick heap of paper. I simply love these kind of books, have the one for Fallout GOTY and Oblivion/Shivering Isle as well. The one on Oblivion is the best-designed of them all.
I ordered it the day I bought the game. Would've felt lost without it, especially since the whole world of Tamriel (and RPG in general) was completely new to me.

Quote:
I wonder if they plan to implement an ingame-portal to switch between Skyrim and Oblivion. Yoputube videos illustrate that Skyrim seems to have a first attempt of such an intrface implemented - you can see the Imperial tower from Oblivion from some places in Skyrim, and even can use "tfc" to move from Skyrim to Oblivion and hover over the capital city.
There is also a video out there of someone using console commands to pass through the gate into what should be Morrowind. Without the commands you can still approach within a couple strides of the gate and see through into the "forbidden" territory. It's gotten to be kind of a personal side quest for me now, to find the paths that lead to the edges of Skyrim and see exactly where it ends and some other place begins, at least if I happen to venture near the borders of the map anyway.

Quote:
P.S. To have a fire enchantement for your bow is nice because you can tell even at great distance if you have hit the target, or not.
Agreed, I especially love it for draugr. I feel sort of bad when I use the same bow for hunting animals though, it doesn't seem sporting somehow.

Lol, I remember one dungeon where I was approaching this large open area through a long corridor and there was a draugr at the other end waiting for me, I swear he was holding his shield in front of him and banging it with his sword all "Bring it beeyotch" and I put an arrow right into his chest. It didn't take him down right then and there but he stopped with the aggressive gesturing and it looked for all the world like he actually hung his head for a moment - "Aw man, that was not cool" - and then he wandered off away from the entrance he was guarding and I could hear him muttering and grumbling... it was hilarious.
Old 02-15-12, 07:34 PM   #1110
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Anyone played pure dual wielder? Decided to make one, but kinda struggling
with it. Most fights I can win no problem, but at times there's just not enough
damage I can deal to beat the bastard.