SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-25-10, 08:17 AM   #1051
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylania View Post
Also seeing something strange. I first got a single ship contact at 9:15. While I still had it deleted, at 10:16 I got another single ship contact.

The first ship's contact time switched to 5 seconds BEFORE the 2nd ship's contact. So one was 10:16:23 and the original changed it time from 9:15 to 10:16:18.

Then when I got a convoy report at 2:32 or something, the first ship contact again changed it's reported time to just before the convoy's spotted time, but second ship contact retained it's sighted time.

Might this be related tot he whole "nothing was initialized yet" thing like early versions of teleport were?
it's related to a word called assuming....which you know what happens when you do that Yep, bit me in the @ss.
The contacts are stored in an array and I assumed that new contacts would be added to the end of the array.....not so! The game adds contacts wherever it wants to in the array. So I had to adjust my code to account for this. This problem no longer exists.
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-10, 08:42 AM   #1052
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

I'm trying to add another feature to the map contacts but running into a little difficulty. I'm wanting to compute their lattitude and longitude. The game gives me the distance from the origin. Origin is in the Gulf von Guineea west of Kongo (you can find it on your nav map). These distances from origin are in meters. I know that a degree of lattitude is approx. 111km and a degree of longitude is approx 111km at the equator and goes to 0 at the poles. If I divide the distance the game gives me for lattitude by 111000 (in meters) the value comes close but doesn't match what the game puts in the messagebox (say for a radio contact report). The longitude part I haven't derived the mathematical formula for it yet. Can any math majors help me out here?
Old 04-25-10, 10:11 AM   #1053
Philipp_Thomsen
Old Gang

Downloads: 146
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
I'm trying to add another feature to the map contacts but running into a little difficulty. I'm wanting to compute their lattitude and longitude. The game gives me the distance from the origin. Origin is in the Gulf von Guineea west of Kongo (you can find it on your nav map). These distances from origin are in meters. I know that a degree of lattitude is approx. 111km and a degree of longitude is approx 111km at the equator and goes to 0 at the poles. If I divide the distance the game gives me for lattitude by 111000 (in meters) the value comes close but doesn't match what the game puts in the messagebox (say for a radio contact report). The longitude part I haven't derived the mathematical formula for it yet. Can any math majors help me out here?
There is some delay between message being generated and message being delivered. How big is the mismatch?
Old 04-25-10, 10:15 AM   #1054
7thSeal
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 199

For those saving the game and restarting for fixing sound issues try hitting Esc and then Esc again to get back into the game. 9 outa 10 times this fixes it for me and don't have to worry about saving and restarting the game.
7thSeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-10, 10:17 AM   #1055
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipp_Thomsen View Post
There is some delay between message being generated and message being delivered. How big is the mismatch?
negligible
Old 04-25-10, 10:20 AM   #1056
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

making the navigator actually work now He has to keep track of every contact and update the bearing to the contact now. Bearing to contact is updated in real time. Bearings are relative to the bow of your sub. Positive bearings are clockwise and negative bearings are counter-clockwise

adding the option for user to change date-time-stamp format. What different formats do you all want?

mm/dd/yy time
dd/mm/yy time
mm/dd/yy military time
dd/mm/yy military time
??
Old 04-25-10, 11:09 AM   #1057
subaxe
Watch

Downloads: 99

looks better and better

mm/dd/yy military time

that will be my choice for my game
subaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-10, 11:26 AM   #1058
kylania
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 117

Quote:
These distances from origin are in meters. I know that a degree of lattitude is approx. 111km and a degree of longitude is approx 111km at the equator and goes to 0 at the poles. If I divide the distance the game gives me for lattitude by 111000 (in meters) the value comes close but doesn't match what the game puts in the messagebox (say for a radio contact report). The longitude part I haven't derived the mathematical formula for it yet. Can any math majors help me out here?
Ignore reality! The lat/long lines are 120km from each other in game, a square grid rather than the lines-on-a-globe they really are. Should make things much easier.

kylania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-10, 12:28 PM   #1059
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Ignore reality! The lat/long lines are 120km from each other in game, a square grid rather than the lines-on-a-globe they really are. Should make things much easier.

true they are 120km from each other but the game is factoring in geographical location into the mathematical formula it's using to derive lat and long. I used the costant 120000 (120km) and it still didn't come out right.

EDIT: ok, I have my moments.......the fractional part left over I forgot to factor as 60 minutes to a degree. I'll see what that gives.
Old 04-25-10, 12:32 PM   #1060
McHub532
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 104

Quote:
EDIT: ok, I have my moments.......the fractional part left over I forgot to factor as 60 minutes to a degree. I'll see what that gives.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Sorry.. just stray from base 10 and life gets wonky.

McHub532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-10, 02:10 PM   #1061
reaper7
sim2reality

Downloads: 258
Uploads: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by McHub532 View Post
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
Just love that saying.
reaper7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-10, 02:37 PM   #1062
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
yep. Got it working.

Ok, the TAI information has changed. You now get the contact date-time-stamp and also the bearing to the contact (Bearing) and the heading you need to take to head to the contact (Heading):

I've added some information to the nav-map contacts also. Notice in this example that the messagebox's radio report's lat and long match the info displayed for the contact Bearing is the bearing from the sub's bow to the target (+ is clockwise, - is counter-clockwise, Heading is the heading you would turn to to head to the contact):

Bearing and heading are updated in real time. So if you turn the sub those values will change in real time.

When a contact is added to the nav-map, the original lat and long are saved with the contact. They do not get updated.
Old 04-25-10, 02:46 PM   #1063
McHub532
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 104

TheDarkWraith; have I told you today that I love you?

McHub532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-10, 02:50 PM   #1064
Sonarman
The Old Man

Downloads: 79

Great work, but maybe it would be better to say "intercept" or "Heading to target" rather than "heading" as this maybe mistakenly interpreted as the contact's heading/course?
Old 04-25-10, 02:53 PM   #1065
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonarman View Post
Great work, but maybe it would be better to say "intercept" or "Heading to target" rather than "heading" as this maybe mistakenly interpreted as the contact's heading/course?
intercept heading or intercept? I can see how heading could be misleading....

Tags
dbrn, favorite, new ui