SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-25-08, 03:30 AM   #1036
tomfon
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 178
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelifecrisis
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfon
Quote:
Wow, you really like to live on the edge!
Anyway.
No, i don't like to live on the edge but i do get angry when
Granville type freighters don't sink with one hit.
I know that frustration.
I meant no offense by my comment - with all that hull damage, I just assumed you were taking daring risks.
I was not offended. Only my ego.:p
Sincerely, its OK, i didn't feel offended.

And i should have been a more careful commander.
Next time.
tomfon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-08, 09:57 AM   #1037
Akula Osis
Watch

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 0

OLC,

I installed your "Ubermod" and ran a mission lastnight, shakedown from Kiel to grid AO95 in a type IIA.

You nailed it, plain and simple. Ran some test approaches and it's fantastic.

Many thanks for your time and effort, SH3 Commander, GWX v2.1 & your "Ubermod" some of the best mod work I've seen. Right up with the Over Flanders Fields work on CFS 3.

*RIP* LeoVampire
Akula Osis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-08, 10:25 AM   #1038
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akula Osis
OLC,

I installed your "Ubermod" and ran a mission lastnight, shakedown from Kiel to grid AO95 in a type IIA.

You nailed it, plain and simple. Ran some test approaches and it's fantastic.

Many thanks for your time and effort, SH3 Commander, GWX v2.1 & your "Ubermod" some of the best mod work I've seen. Right up with the Over Flanders Fields work on CFS 3.

Thanks!
onelifecrisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-08, 02:38 PM   #1039
derstosstrupp
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 489

Default one quick question

Hi all!

Not new to SHIII, but new to this forum as well as all these great mods! I use GWX 2.1 and I've just downloaded OLC's ubermod, and my question is, once downloaded, where do I put it? Thanks in advance,

Stosstrupp
derstosstrupp is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-08, 02:47 PM   #1040
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by derstosstrupp
Hi all!

Not new to SHIII, but new to this forum as well as all these great mods! I use GWX 2.1 and I've just downloaded OLC's ubermod, and my question is, once downloaded, where do I put it? Thanks in advance,

Stosstrupp
Edit: Forgot my manners. Weclome!

I assume you're new to JSGME as well?
Unzip everything in 'JSGME Mods.7z' into your SH3 'MODS' folder. To enable the mods use JSGME (shortcut in the GWX folder in your start menu).
The ubermod includes a readme file and a players guide. The latter doubles up as a mod description. Please read all of the documentation before you enable any of the mods.
Old 08-31-08, 03:02 PM   #1041
derstosstrupp
Grey Wolf

Thank you so much for your prompt answer! I did forget to mention I am using Vista, if that is even an issue.
Old 08-31-08, 03:26 PM   #1042
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by derstosstrupp
Thank you so much for your prompt answer! I did forget to mention I am using Vista, if that is even an issue.
I'm on XP so I don't know. But IIRC there's a sticky thread for vista issues.
Nobody reported any OLC Ubermod Vista issues here, so far.
Old 08-31-08, 06:27 PM   #1043
derstosstrupp
Grey Wolf

Thanks a ton, your mod is outstanding! It's amazing what you modders can do....
Old 08-31-08, 06:30 PM   #1044
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

You're welcome.
Old 09-01-08, 01:21 PM   #1045
Darkbluesky
Sparky

Downloads: 61

Hello,

After thinking some time about using your mod or not (the lack of two zoom level and smaller recognition book didn't liked very much at the beginning), now I have decided to use it, because the mod is IMO, much more interesting than these two little things. I have downloaded it and tried. But I have found two things that bother me specially and I don't know how to overcome:

- In the attack periscope (or in the attack map), the texture of the tube selector (tubes for the salvo) is missing! I have the selector turning over a black circle with no inscriptions (i.e. no IV, V or I, II, III, etc, signs, only black! I have only installed GWX2.1 and nothing more. If I uninstall the OLEC2 and OLECGUI Special (so only keeping GWX2.1) then the texture is back!

- The other thing that makes me feel bad is that it is the darkened version (in attack scope and also in attack map, etc) of your OLC GUI, and there is no choice to a normal one. I have been trying to change it myself looking into the data/Menu/Dark folder, hoping finding something that let me to change it. I thing that the files are the normal ones, but there is some filter applied to them in order to make them darker. Maybe editing the tga files inside Dark folder could help?

I wonder if you (or someone else) could help me with these things, please.

Thank you and congrats for the result of your efforts. IMO it has been worth,

Regards
Darkbluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-08, 05:15 PM   #1046
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkbluesky
- In the attack periscope (or in the attack map), the texture of the tube selector (tubes for the salvo) is missing! I have the selector turning over a black circle with no inscriptions (i.e. no IV, V or I, II, III, etc, signs, only black! I have only installed GWX2.1 and nothing more. If I uninstall the OLEC2 and OLECGUI Special (so only keeping GWX2.1) then the texture is back!
You need SH3 Commander for that to work propperly. There is a Uboat folder that should be placed in the SH3Commander folder.

Quote:
- The other thing that makes me feel bad is that it is the darkened version (in attack scope and also in attack map, etc) of your OLC GUI, and there is no choice to a normal one. I have been trying to change it myself looking into the data/Menu/Dark folder, hoping finding something that let me to change it. I thing that the files are the normal ones, but there is some filter applied to them in order to make them darker. Maybe editing the tga files inside Dark folder could help?
I thought the OLC Gui 1.2.6 had an optional brighter Gui files-modfolder you might use with JSGME. But it's actually the darker files that are optional. So it's no use 'stealing' those files to use them in the Gui Special. Would have been a simple solution. Alas.. But I too didn't like the limitation in zoom-settings in the Gui Special. Did you know you can use the original 1.2.6 Gui instead of the Gui Special. It causes some esthetical things of the OLCE to not work anymore. But honestly, I can't tell the difference. Which no doubt says more about my observing skills.

Personally, I still find the AOB finder wheels to be too bright for use in the night. I can't see squat in the dark because of it.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-08, 07:10 PM   #1047
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces
Did you know you can use the original 1.2.6 Gui instead of the Gui Special. It causes some esthetical things of the OLCE to not work anymore. But honestly, I can't tell the difference. Which no doubt says more about my observing skills.
Apart from the 'esthetical' rendering of the waves (which has quite an impact on gameplay IMO) the "Realistic Map Contact Updates" are the biggest difference between OLC GUI Special and OLC GUI 1.2.6.

Quote:
Personally, I still find the AOB finder wheels to be too bright for use in the night. I can't see squat in the dark because of it.
Do you mean the "light" version in 1.2.6, or the dark one?
Old 09-02-08, 01:58 AM   #1048
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 302

Quote:
Quote:
Did you know you can use the original 1.2.6 Gui instead of the Gui Special. It causes some esthetical things of the OLCE to not work anymore. But honestly, I can't tell the difference. Which no doubt says more about my observing skills.
Apart from the 'esthetical' rendering of the waves (which has quite an impact on gameplay IMO) the "Realistic Map Contact Updates" are the biggest difference between OLC GUI Special and OLC GUI 1.2.6.

Quote:
Do you mean the "light" version in 1.2.6, or the dark one?
I knew there was something else too but didn't ring a bell.

I have the 1.2.6 dark-files enabled after the core files. I also turned down my graphicscard contrast and brightness. I think it blinds me because it's such a large area and very near the dark view area. So I hope the particular TGA files are easy to darken once more. (once back in port)
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-08, 06:29 AM   #1049
Darkbluesky
Sparky

Downloads: 61

Thanks for reply. So..there is no simple solution for the not-darkened version? If it is something I could do, I would like to try it even if it is a bit "hardcore"...

I don't like the lack of two levels of zoom, but I like ot see the sea waves at full scale, and not a flat sea, so I think I'll try to use the Special version if I can't get rid of the dark look.

BTW and a little OT, I am still dreamning with the WAC3.0 sea seeing through the scope of OLC Special and GWX, I wonder if HanSolo would release and standalone version of its sea/environment...
Darkbluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-08, 06:50 AM   #1050
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkbluesky
BTW and a little OT, I am still dreamning with the WAC3.0 sea seeing through the scope of OLC Special and GWX, I wonder if HanSolo would release and standalone version of its sea/environment...
Not that OT - the new WAC env is partly based on OLCE.
http://hansolo78.2page.de/versions_99083598.html
Though I must say, hansolo has done some amazing work on it!

The nice wave effect in WAC is achieved easily if you want to DIY. Just open the OLCE2 scene.dat in S3D and find a value called choppywave. By default it is set to 0.03. Change it to 0.04, or even 0.05, and see the difference.

This is a setting I played around with for OLCE2, but I left it at 0.03 in the end because (1) it causes some graphical artifacts in some weather conditions and (2) it affects wave heights and shapes, which in turn affects surface physics and sinking physics in GWX. But when I say it "affects" things, its not the same as saying it "breaks" things, i.e. everything will basically still work if you change choppywave, so try it out.