Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-10, 02:08 PM   #91
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

I'm speechless.

This is really, really sad news. I had not expected this, and now I'm very dissapointed.

I have bought 100+ legitimate games in my life, some of them only to support the maker because I liked to see them in the market. But I skipped one I had been waiting for very long, Rise of Flight, just because of this issue.

Internet activation of the game is bad enough, because you sometimes have to upgrade PC or reinstall a backup of Windows (I do it each three months to keep it clean, using an image of my HDD), and internet check for starting game session is even worse. But needing to stay connected ALL the time you are playing, is just pure madness.

No way am I going to tolerate this. I'm truly sorry, but UBI, I skip SH5 until I get the right to play my legitimally bought game wherever, whenever I want. I understand the reasons of the publishers and accept them, so I hope you also will understand and accept mines.

That was it. Now back to Sh3, and to the Pacific.
Old 01-26-10, 02:09 PM   #92
Fire
Bosun

Downloads: 33
Uploads: 0

DRM is great

It helps me saving money

Another 50 € saved
Old 01-26-10, 02:09 PM   #93
TDK1044
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
I'm speechless.

This is really, really sad news. I had not expected this, and now I'm very dissapointed.

I have bought 100+ legitimate games in my life, some of them only to support the maker because I liked to see them in the market. But I skipped one I had been waiting for very long, Rise of Flight, just because of this issue.

Internet activation of the game is bad enough, because you sometimes have to upgrade PC or reinstall a backup of Windows (I do it each three months to keep it clean, using an image of my HDD), and internet check for starting game session is even worse. But needing to stay connected ALL the time you are playing, is just pure madness.

No way am I going to tolerate this. I'm truly sorry, but UBI, I skip SH5 until I get the right to play my legitimally bought game wherever, whenever I want. I understand the reasons of the publishers and accept them, so I hope you also will understand and accept mines.

That was it. Now back to Sh3, and to the Pacific.
Great post. Says it all.
Old 01-26-10, 02:11 PM   #94
Topo65
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeadler View Post
Now it has been officially confirmed by an Ubisoft employee in the German SH5 forum, SH5 will contain exactly this new protection:

- you need an Ubisoft online account to activate SH5
- Save games be stored online on Ubisoft server
- PC must be throughout the playing session connected to the internet
Very sad news. I cant buy a game that only I can play when I have connection. I cant believe this.
Old 01-26-10, 02:18 PM   #95
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilbou View Post

I have been buying games for years. Half of the time, I had to crack legit copies of the games I bought and be annoyed because most servers I wanted to play online required Punkbuster (which of course did not validate my genuine but cracked game).
Just a reminder, this is not the place to discuss cracks, ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilbou View Post
Yes. I will be playing my old games and I will vote with my wallet by not buying DRM-crippled games.

I've had enough, Neal. Really.
Hey, I understand. We may not agree, but that's your call what to do with you money . I should have phrased my comment "When they all become online auth, I guess you won't be playing new games?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackAubrey View Post

Ubisoft decided to hassle me, a paying, honest and loyal customer, with this sort of uncomfortable DRM-Crap so I am simply not giving them my money. And I also would not play any cracked version a) because i resent piracy and b) so Ubi cannot say "See, it's the pirates we have to take those measures!"
That's a good place to stand on princicple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteamWake View Post

I wouldent be tossing out statements like "2/3's of my games are cracked" or "you can crack it this way or that". If you want to conduct nefarious buisness keep it to yourself or suffer the consiquences.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COWBOY10 View Post
Im Sorry Neal, I respect you mate and what you have done for our community, But I cant agree with this statement, There are more than a few who dont have internet access on our Gaming Rigs, I have internet on a Internet Rig, allows me to download patches, Surf, Email etc, Then I have a Gaming Rig alone.

This allows me to make sure its running at peak performance, without Virus's, Trojens, Spyware slowing it down etc. I have no problems with DRM, as a rule, BUT this course of going down the lone of permanant Connection at all times is a joke. A one off connection to validate connection, as I had to do with Blackshark and MSX then No Problem.
I thank you for your well constructed argument. Of course, I don't think I ever stated that I was in favor of this kind of DRM. I just said I can see this becoming the norm. I see a few people here decided to declare war on me, I better make it clear, when asked, I have no problem with a copy protection scheme as long as it does not inhibit a legit customer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
I'm speechless.
Well said.
Old 01-26-10, 02:21 PM   #96
tonschk
Admiral

Downloads: 172

I have no problem with DRM , I have excellent internet connection , and I will buy SH5

Old 01-26-10, 02:27 PM   #97
Q3ark
Watch Officer

Downloads: 47

As long as they don't use starforce again i'll be a happy skipper
was H2SO4.
Old 01-26-10, 02:27 PM   #98
Lt commander lare
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 781
Uploads: 35
if this is true then im not interested at all i will stay in the pacific and remain there until the drm is removed my internet connection goes out all the time and to have to be connected to the internet to play is pure bs as far as im concerned i think ubisoft needs to reconsider its plans here or sh5 is sunk in the straits of gibraltar
Old 01-26-10, 02:30 PM   #99
GoldenRivet
Subsim Aviator

Downloads: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonschk View Post

I have no problem with DRM , I have excellent internet connection , and I will buy SH5

I have an excellent internet connection myself.

In the past year i have been without internet on perhaps 4 separate occasions.

on average, loss of connectivity lasts the better part of a day

one of those occasions, loss of connectivity lasted almost a week.

I would hate to gamble being able to play the game on whether or not my ISP was reliable, performing maintenance etc.
Old 01-26-10, 02:39 PM   #100
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenRivet View Post
I have an excellent internet connection myself.

In the past year i have been without internet on perhaps 4 separate occasions.
I cannot think of any games I have they require a connection all the time to play, but to be honest, it would not affect my personal decision to buy the game. That's in part because I don't find it a problem to stay connected to the internet while playing *shrug*, and I don't have a principled stand against DRM. If they made a game that said you have to disconnect from the internet to play, I would have a problem
Old 01-26-10, 02:41 PM   #101
GoldenRivet
Subsim Aviator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post
I cannot think of any games I have they require a connection all the time to play, but to be honest, it would not affect my personal decision to buy the game. That's in part because I don't find it a problem to stay connected to the internet while playing *shrug*, and I don't have a principled stand against DRM. If they made a game that said you have to disconnect from the internet to play, I would have a problem
What about the issue of limited number of saves that was brought up in another thread?

What about ubi server issues?

i see it crashing in the first week or two of release personally.
Old 01-26-10, 02:42 PM   #102
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

Downloads: 105
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post
I'm of the same mind. My net connection is always on, so that's not a problem. I am concerned a bit with my savegames being on the Ubi server, but so long as it works as advertised, I guess I'll be ok.

But if it becomes a problem, then all bets are off. But on the surface, and if all works as advertised, it should be ok for me.

Want more U-boat Kaleun portraits for your SH3 Commander Profiles? Download the SH3 Commander Portrait Pack here.
Old 01-26-10, 02:42 PM   #103
longam
Admiral

Downloads: 26

Simulators....don't leave! What am I going to do with my new rig? Surf the internet?

Getting hard to keep the faith with this game.
Old 01-26-10, 02:43 PM   #104
Lanzfeld
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 64

This situation DEFINITLY needs a Hitler rant on youtube!!!

Old 01-26-10, 02:44 PM   #105
GoldenRivet
Subsim Aviator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookiemookie View Post
I am concerned a bit with my savegames being on the Ubi server, but so long as it works as advertised, I guess I'll be ok.
thats more or less where im coming from?

WHY does ubi have a problem with save games being "local"?

Im confused