Closed Thread

Old 07-13-19, 05:58 AM   #10396
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JU_88 View Post
While Boris has more conviction than May I don't think he is any more competent TBH.
She may (no pun intended) have been stubborn and naive but I can't knock her honesty.

Quote:
Theresa May has admitted she underestimated the "entrenched positions" in Parliament over Brexit.

Ahead of her departure from Number 10 in less than two weeks, Mrs May said she would have feelings of disappointment about her tenure as PM.

She conceded that she could have talked to more colleagues to get her withdrawal deal through the Commons, and said if the future relationship had been negotiated alongside there would not have been the same issue with the Irish backstop.
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/poli...-a4189011.html

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 07-13-19, 06:11 AM   #10397
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

I'll readily admit I'm a fan of the This Week programme that is about to stop airing and believe Andrew Neil to be a competent interviewer. So here are the interviews facts and claims by both Johnson and Hunt being set out and checked.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48965645

Old 07-14-19, 03:54 AM   #10398
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 11
Uploads: 0

This is a good site too Jim:
https://fullfact.org/
Old 07-14-19, 04:49 AM   #10399
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Quote:
Two former Labour officials who criticised the party's handling of cases of alleged antisemitism are planning to take legal action against the party.

https://news.sky.com/story/whistlebl...party-11762711
Take that you ragging Anti-Semite and you ragging Anti-Semites.

Quote:
Yea I some times dip in there, don't like opening what I want to read in a new tab, I want double click.

Some other good sites I dip into.
https://www.politicshome.com
https://www.politics.co.uk
https://www.theyworkforyou.com
https://www.parliament.uk

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 07-14-19, 05:16 AM   #10400
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
This is a good site too Jim:
https://fullfact.org/
Been a few times recently and yes, not bad at all.

Old 07-14-19, 05:19 AM   #10401
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-48978739

Quote:
Mr Davis, who quit as Brexit secretary last year, told the BBC that the Treasury wanted to avoid talking about the prospect of leaving without a deal.
He concluded that many in Whitehall did not believe it would ever happen - despite two years of planning.
"I've got to be able to say to you 'if this doesn't work we'll leave anyway' and you've got to believe it.
"And for you to believe it I've got to believe it. And I don't think Whitehall really ever believed that they would actually carry out the plans we laid so carefully over two years."
Wowh, that frankly it got rarely put by somebody that there never was the intention to carry out the Brexit referendum's demand anyway. Well, I did, form beginning on, but I do not count.

Quote:
But despite spending £4.2bn on Brexit preparations, Mr Hammond warned that the government has limited influence on how a no-deal scenario might look.
Asked if the UK can control Brexit, he said: "We can't because many of the levers are held by others - the EU 27 or private business. We can seek to persuade them but we can't control it."

Stay with us, we will enjoy your band music on deck while our ship is going down.
Old 07-14-19, 05:33 AM   #10402
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

She's at it again.

Quote:
Anti-Brexit campaigner Gina Miller says she will take the government to court if the next PM tries to shut down Parliament to push through no deal.

Ms Miller, who won a legal battle against ministers over Article 50, said the step would be "an abuse" of powers.

She told Sky News she wanted to "defend Parliamentary sovereignty", not stop Brexit.

Brexiteer MP Priti Patel said it was "not acceptable" to use the courts to try to tie the hands of MPs.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48980408

Old 07-14-19, 05:42 AM   #10403
Skybird
Soaring

Needless sabre rattling - Johnson as PM has no intention to leave without deal, I assure you this. Like May he plans to weasel around and turn things such that Britain will stay tied to the EU - the difference is that May wanted that from beginning on, while Johnson maybe not, but starts to play "May-hem" - pardon the pun - only when he does not get renegotiations with the EU. Which he will not get.

Brexit is as good as over a project. They all play just a theatre stage play. They all cheat and lie. May, Johnson, Corbyn, and the many others - them all.
Old 07-14-19, 05:48 AM   #10404
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Needless sabre rattling - Johnson as PM has no intention to leave without deal, I assure you this. Like May he plans to weasel around and turn things such that Britain will stay tied to the EU - the difference is that May wanted that from beginning on, while Johnson maybe not, but starts to play "May-hem" - pardon the pun - only when he does not get renegotiations with the EU. Which he will not get.

Brexit is as good as over a project. They all play just a theatre stage play. They all cheat and lie. May, Johnson, Corbyn, and the many others - them all.
Agreed and I said as much many posts ago (can't be bothered to search)

Old 07-15-19, 02:18 AM   #10405
Skybird
Soaring

^ However. Yesterday I saw some interesting documentation, 10 minutes or so, about the background of this extreme Brexit wing in the Tories party, and the strong business and economic ties these people have with the US. I did not know that these connections were this extreme, I only knew that this group exists. The narration went like this: that the US and Trump and their associates in Britain want the Brexit not despite but right because of the chaos it now would bring: the bigger chaos, the better, because chaos and economic turmoil always also means chance and opportunity for prepared, ahead-planning entrepreneurs with deep money pockets who want to take the chance to bite out big heaps of the British economy and finances and see a chance for big US business to especially get control over parts of the British economy and public services by privatization. Following this narration I would conclude that the US and Trump probably are the biggest enemy of Britain. Narration further included the tale that Johnson maybe knows what he is heading for - and even if he would want to change it and bail out, he no longer can, being driven by names in the background and forces that he has no control over, that abuse him and will spit him out once they chewd enough on him and Brexit chaos has been delivered.

The disobedient children of the revolution return back home to England to take it over. Say hello. Mind you, this strategy woudl exactly follow Trump's predatory scheme: destroy international treaties, get bilateral nation-to-nation deals on an individual basis as a replacement, and in this arrangement mercilessly push the other against the wall. Special relation thing? Pfffft, only you imperial Brits still believe in this nostalghic echo from history.

Last edited by Skybird; 07-15-19 at 02:27 AM.
Skybird is online  
Old 07-15-19, 04:50 AM   #10406
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

^ And all the above can be summed up in one word....'Politics'

Old 07-15-19, 07:16 AM   #10407
STEED
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
She's at it again.
Ms Miller was deeply upset about the abuse she got from morons last time and she is asking for these morons to step up their abuse of her. I don't like the way she thinks but I for one would not give her grief.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 07-15-19, 11:30 AM   #10408
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Tonight brings the final episode of the Tory political circus.

I can hardly wait

Quote:
Boris Johnson and Jeremy Hunt are preparing for the second and final head-to-head debate of the Conservative leadership campaign.

They will face 90 minutes of questions from Sun newspaper readers.

The event, starting at 19.00 BST, will be streamed live on the newspaper's website and broadcast on Talk Radio.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48988420

Old 07-16-19, 05:23 AM   #10409
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

'Parliamentary bible' Erskine May available online for free.

Anyone sad enough to be interested https://erskinemay.parliament.uk/

Old 07-16-19, 07:46 AM   #10410
STEED
Lucky Jack

^Hey its free jim like a free beer...oh wait a free beer is better.

Yes both the low profile and super high profile Lib/Con race to become leaders is almost over. Shame the only one that really should count the downfall of you know who, come on moderate Labour get that thing and its followers out of Labour.

Closed Thread

Tags
british, politics