SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-21-09, 07:06 PM   #1021
darius359au
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I just bought the X3 Gold pack on Steam last week and I've got to say it's Brilliant, all the good bits of Elite, Freelancer and Eve online all rolled into one

my favourite ship the Nova

And doing a fly around a "Mammoth" cargo ship

Old 12-21-09, 07:10 PM   #1022
Raptor1
Navy Seal

Downloads: 13
Uploads: 0

Pfft, Boron Orca FTW!
Old 12-21-09, 09:42 PM   #1023
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

It's great flying around doing some exploring and combat, building a fleet to take on more diverse missions. I get bored trying to build factories though.

Think I do most of my tooling around in an Advanced Discoverer.

Does need regular "maintenance" though.

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-09, 10:54 PM   #1024
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
Does need regular "maintenance" though.
Yeah... My company (if you can call one trading ship a company) just almost went tits up. Thanks to the autopilot, I rammed my ship into a asteroid. I spent the next 15 minutes patching up the damage.

Other than that, it's starting to look good for me. Started with 9k (Humble merchant) and now have ~500k and one used+repaired ship going for the shipyard, so that should be another 100k of profit. Finished deploying satellites to most of the Argon home sectors just now, so now all I need is a few more runs to get money for the rainy day and buy the trading software mk.III and let my merchant to someone else's hand while I go around looking for cheap used ships to buy.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-09, 12:19 AM   #1025
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

Never heard of this before, PC games in stores here in South Australia very rare, I noticed on the web there are a few versions, which one would be best for just exploring space?

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-09, 12:34 AM   #1026
Dowly
Lucky Jack

You want to get the X3 Gold. The newest and most up-to-date. All of the versions are basically the same game, Terran Conflict adds the Terran race and few other things and Gold adds something I cant remember.

Dont know how the mod compatibility is with the Gold vs. TC, tho. But you got plenty of things to do with the vanilla game, so no biggie. I must warn you though, the game has extremely steep learning guide.
Old 12-22-09, 01:47 AM   #1027
Arclight
Navy Seal

Though exploring is fun, it isn't that interesting. A lot of the systems look great, with planets and nebulas, stars burning bright in the background. But it comes down to simply flying through the sectors; once a station or asteroïd comes into sensor range, it's logged on the map. You can scan asteroïds for ore-yields, planets are just eye-candy.

That said, it's frickin huge. You'll be glad to get a jumpdrive installed, and then you'll be buying energy to power it regularly.

Gold has the 2.0 patch with it (free to download for "regular" owners), which ads the Aldrin missions or something. Have a look at the Wiki for details.

You know, I played this quite a bit, but I never used the Mk.III trading stuff. Does the pilot do a proper job (provided you give him a good ship)?

Old 12-22-09, 01:47 AM   #1028
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

Thanks for that Dowly, I'll probably have a brain strain then!! Better save some more pennies!!
Edit: You must have posted just before me Arclight, do you have to install Steam to play it?

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-09, 02:05 AM   #1029
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
You know, I played this quite a bit, but I never used the Mk.III trading stuff. Does the pilot do a proper job (provided you give him a good ship)?
If you have the needed stuff in the ship (best buy locator, best sell locator etc.) then yes, they do pretty good. The pilot starts with a grade 1 classification which only allows him to locally, at grade 6 (or 8) you can order him to do universal trade, which basically makes the pilot to trade in the charted universe. Tho, the universe trading is only good if you have jumpdrive on the ship and even then, the pilot doesnt safe any of the ECs for the jumpdrive if he goes somewhere to sell them. Also, the AI sometimes goes to unfriendly sectors and.. well.. get shot to pieces.

I like the sector trading thing more, which you can use to point a starting sector for the pilot and then say how many jumps from that sector he is allowed to go (I THINK that 6+ sectors automatically puts the pilot to universal trading). The advantage over the universal trading is that he gets to places faster and thus doesnt miss good deals.

The Mk.III also lets the pilot upgrade the ship if he sees fit and you get messages from the pilot if he needs or is concerned about something (crappy shields for example).

So, basically, once you get the software you dont have to worry about the trader after you've given him your orders, the do good on their own most of the time.
Old 12-22-09, 02:25 AM   #1030
Arclight
Navy Seal

Ah thanks, will give it a try. Still some time to fill 'till ME2 and a few others hit retail.

Old 12-22-09, 02:51 AM   #1031
darius359au
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
Thanks for that Dowly, I'll probably have a brain strain then!! Better save some more pennies!!
Edit: You must have posted just before me Arclight, do you have to install Steam to play it?
You can buy the Gold pack through Steam if you want , that's what I did - saves the hassles of trying to find the disks
Mods work with the Steam version too , just point them to the steam folder for the games.
Speaking of mods , if the vanilla universe is too small then there's this mod , sort of the GWX of X3 http://www.thexuniverse.com/index.ph...id=xtendedhome
Old 12-22-09, 03:24 AM   #1032
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Yeh, well xtended is for X3. How it's compatibly is with TC & Gold?
Old 12-22-09, 03:47 AM   #1033
Arclight
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
I think Darius cleared it up, but no, you don't need it. I bought the boxed edition before gold, but when all patches are applied you get exactly the same as the gold edition as far as Terran Conflict goes. Gold also includes a soundtrack CD and Reunion, the previous X3 game.

Old 12-22-09, 04:01 AM   #1034
darius359au
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly View Post
Yeh, well xtended is for X3. How it's compatibly is with TC & Gold?
Extended's compatible with X3 reunion from the Gold pack or a standalone version patched up to 2.5, but there isn't one for TC yet, though their working on a it apparently.
Old 12-22-09, 08:18 PM   #1035
Dowly
Lucky Jack

I love being the CEO, sitting in my Vanguard out of the way of the police scanners, watching credits flow in from my miner while enjoying an episode or two of Babylon 5.