Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 07-30-20, 12:40 PM   #9931
Hawk66
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 36
Uploads: 0

Reagan was THE president. He was the maker of my country's reunification although the lefties in my country mostly do not accept it and give Gorbachev all credits.
Old 07-30-20, 01:37 PM   #9932
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
Well, in all fairness, Reagan was getting there. But then again, Reagan was a great man, whereas Biden is the polar opposite, so I could cut Ronnie a lot of slack.
I don't think that is true. In August 1994, at the age of 83, Reagan was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease and this was after yearly trips to the Mayo Clinic for extensive annual exams starting in 1989. When diagnosed he had been out of office for almost five years.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

Old 07-30-20, 02:13 PM   #9933
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Former US commander in Europe on Trump's gift to the Kremlin.

https://www.dw.com/en/us-german-rela...wal/a-54370725

The angry lil' boy in the White House stomps his feet again and wills to shoot hos own country's interest just to "punish" those who are guilty of not obeying his narcissistic ego. Serving the country? Not this "president". Its the other way around: the country has to serve this "president".
Old 07-30-20, 02:50 PM   #9934
skidman
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk66 View Post
Reagan was THE president. He was the maker of my country's reunification although the lefties in my country mostly do not accept it and give Gorbachev all credits.
Reagan did a lot for Germany, that's right but he was not THE president:

- Iran–Contra affair

- invasion of Grenada

- national debt +179,6%

- nothing trickled down on nobody, that's a lie and it will always be

He was a likeable guy, and he knew all the actor's tricks. Should have sold used cars instead.

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.” (Douglas Adams)
Old 07-30-20, 03:39 PM   #9935
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Been rethinking

So here is another question about the American Presidential election

Is there by any chance some loophole in the American election/presidential law that gives the President this possibility to postpone an election ?

I want to be 110 % sure, when I discuss with my Danish pro and anti Trump friends.

Markus
mapuc is online  
Old 07-30-20, 03:59 PM   #9936
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by u crank View Post
I don't think that is true. In August 1994, at the age of 83, Reagan was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease and this was after yearly trips to the Mayo Clinic for extensive annual exams starting in 1989. When diagnosed he had been out of office for almost five years.

True, I was just recalling his senior moments in the debate with Mondale.
Old 07-30-20, 03:59 PM   #9937
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
Been rethinking

So here is another question about the American Presidential election

Is there by any chance some loophole in the American election/presidential law that gives the President this possibility to postpone an election ?

I want to be 110 % sure, when I discuss with my Danish pro and anti Trump friends.

Markus
No, Trump's idea was dead on arrival. Congress sets the date, and even in times of war has not abandoned the tradition to have elections on - please correct me if I am mistaken on the details - the first Tuesday in a Novembre - COME WHAT MAY.

Also, what is different to last election is that even quite some Republicans now are against Trump, some of them quite serious in names and ranks and openly supporting Biden. Trump hass overplayed his hand. And congress still is ruled by Democrats. Guess.

Biden is not strong by himself, in fact he is a weak candidate. But Trump has made him strong by his own Trumpomania. Also, he has lost support of the high ranking militaries, the colonels, generals and admirals. His instrumenbtalization ofnthe military for his own personal interests and his plans in Europe were too much.
Old 07-30-20, 04:13 PM   #9938
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
No, Trump's idea was dead on arrival. Congress sets the date, and even in times of war has not abandoned the tradition to have elections on - please correct me if I am mistaken on the details - the first Tuesday in a Novembre - COME WHAT MAY.

Also, what is different to last election is that even quite some Republicans now are against Trump, some of them quite serious in names and ranks and openly supporting Biden. Trump hass overplayed his hand. And congress still is ruled by Democrats. Guess.

Biden is not strong by himself, in fact he is a weak candidate. But Trump has made him strong by his own Trumpomania. Also, he has lost support of the high ranking militaries, the colonels, generals and admirals. His instrumenbtalization ofnthe military for his own personal interests and his plans in Europe were too much.

It's like I'm reading a dystopian novel.
Old 07-30-20, 04:40 PM   #9939
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Yeah, pretty crazy. I feel the excitement of riding the motorcycle at 100 mph on a mountain road, I'm in the curve leaned over about as far as I can go, and I notice a big oil patch just ahead of me...
Old 07-30-20, 04:45 PM   #9940
u crank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
True, I was just recalling his senior moments in the debate with Mondale.
Maybe so but .... after eight years in office Reagan was still only 77 years old. Biden will be 78 years old before he takes the oath on Inauguration Day 2021.

Just saying.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

Old 07-30-20, 05:04 PM   #9941
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by u crank View Post
Maybe so but .... after eight years in office Reagan was still only 77 years old. Biden will be 78 years old before he takes the oath on Inauguration Day 2021.

Just saying.
(A funny off topic input to u crank post)
One day...One day in the future an elected President will be 99 years old, on the inauguration day.
(End of a funny off topic..)

Markus
mapuc is online  
Old 07-31-20, 12:16 PM   #9942
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post

I forgot the say thank you to Skybird.

So it's the Congress who sets the day.

Hmm now I wonder, is it possible for an elected President to ask for a postpone of an upcoming election ?

I presume s/he has this possibility

I guess it's what he will do - Ask the Congress to postpone the Presidential election-
I doubt however they will grant his request.

And wouldn't it be the first time in US history, if Trump ask the Congress to postpone the election in Nov 2020 ?

Markus
mapuc is online  
Old 07-31-20, 12:31 PM   #9943
u crank

Quote:
So it's the Congress who sets the day.
Well they have already. They did it on January 23, 1933. It's called The Twentieth Amendment to the United States Constitution.

Changing an Amendment would not be easy.

Quote:
Article V of the United States Constitution outlines basic procedures for constitutional amendment.

1.Congress may submit a proposed constitutional amendment to the states, if the proposed amendment language is approved by a two-thirds vote of both houses.
2.Congress must call a convention for proposing amendments upon application of the legislatures of two-thirds of the states (i.e., 34 of 50 states).
3.Amendments proposed by Congress or convention become valid only when ratified by the legislatures of, or conventions in, three-fourths of the states (i.e., 38 of 50 states).
https://www.ncsl.org/research/about-...050%20states).

― Arthur C. Clarke

Old 07-31-20, 01:52 PM   #9944
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Hmm now I wonder, is it possible for an elected President to ask for a postpone of an upcoming election ?
Of cours eit is possible, asking for somethign he can as much as he wants. Whether he gets it - thats something very possible. Trump lives a lot by inciting the plebs by making suggestuive statements that often are wrong, ofteh are lies, but he hammers the lies home again and again,and the masses tend to beoeive those who yell
1. the first,
2. the loudest,
3. the ost often.
By that he can hope ti raise pressure formt he street, oime he ahs int he past, to have rules and laws chnaged in his favour.
In this case it is unlikely to be successful, however. I just say this is no unknown method to him, and he has used excessive use of it in the past three years.
Old 07-31-20, 02:34 PM   #9945
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

If you didn't like Obama you won't like Biden who has already stated that he would like to pick Michelle Obama for his
VP pick which at 78 to 82 would put her in the possible posistion of being the POTUS which would put Obama back in the WH

(if he wasn't already SOS that is)
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Closed Thread

Tags
biden, clinton, election, harris, obama, politics, trump, twitter