Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 01-29-17, 04:55 PM   #886
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0

Oberon, I was talking about that one where the Rome was sieged.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
Well, they used them a lot as mercenaries mainly. Most of the Roman army was made up of mercenaries from all over the 'barbarian' lands, mainly Germanic. In regards to the fall of Rome, the attacks by the Visigoths and Vandals were only one part of the collapse of a system which had been failing for centuries, I mean how many times were there major disagreements (aka civil wars) over who was going to be the next Emperor? I mean, that's after you get the Diocletian split.

I guess one could argue that we're heading into a Toynbeean process of decay, certainly when you read on wikipedia the following paragraphs:

I can certainly see Archaism, Futurism, Detachment in the world today, although not a lot of Transcendence, because as it stands I don't think anyone has any answers that are going to not end in a whole lot of bloodshed, and with the weapons that we have made for ourselves I don't know if humanity can survive descending into that level of violence.
-makes a troll face-
Well, maybe Europe has been going through decay for the past 50 years (with loss of the colonial empires)? Would certainly be consistent with invitation of barbarians.
Old 01-29-17, 04:57 PM   #887
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDef View Post
They base their conclusion on Post hoc ergo propter hoc reasoning. law '141' covers the prohibition of entry to the US if the Alien belongs to an organization seeking to overthrow the government of the United States by "force, violence, or other unconstitutional means. you can find the 'relevant'
part of the law in Chap. 2 sect.212
I'm pretty sure it wasn't Islam your former politicians had in mind when they wrote this law "141" I'm sure they were thinking - Communism.

Markus
Old 01-29-17, 05:03 PM   #888
MaDef
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
I'm pretty sure it wasn't Islam your former politicians had in mind when they wrote this law "141" I'm sure they were thinking - Communism.

Markus
no it wasn't, but if you can stretch/twist the meaning of the law far enough you can probably get the girl scouts banned in the U.S.
Old 01-29-17, 05:13 PM   #889
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDef View Post
no it wasn't, but if you can stretch/twist the meaning of the law far enough you can probably get the girl scouts banned in the U.S.
True indeed.

Markus
Old 01-29-17, 05:20 PM   #890
yubba
Admiral

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 2

Quote:
One foray in 1904 hardly makes for 'over 200 years'...

Not a slur on the USMC, just pointing it out.
and you say you'r a historian..that would be 2 forays, just pointing it out,, mate.

https://www.gilderlehrman.org/histor...nd-faced-down-
Old 01-29-17, 05:29 PM   #891
yubba
Admiral

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 2

Looks like the swamp is getting drained, like it or not...

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT
Old 01-29-17, 05:36 PM   #892
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikalugin View Post
Oberon, I was talking about that one where the Rome was sieged.

-makes a troll face-
Well, maybe Europe has been going through decay for the past 50 years (with loss of the colonial empires)? Would certainly be consistent with invitation of barbarians.
Do you mean by the Gauls or the Visigoths? By the time Alaric got around to hitting the place the Empire was well into its decline after the Crisis of the Third Century...and funnily enough, one of the effects was the collapse of the Roman trading network and the increase of localism, with towns and cities walling themselves in and instigating semi-feudal practices in some areas.

One could definitely make that argument about Europe, though let's not forget that out of these barbarians the new Europe was made which would eventually become the Europe of today. So, if the model plays out, if we are looking at the end of the new Rome, then what follows is not necessarily going to work out inferior to what exists now, but different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yubba View Post
and you say you'r a historian..that would be 2 forays, just pointing it out,, mate.

https://www.gilderlehrman.org/histor...nd-faced-down-
Already been pointed out and acknowledged.
Old 01-29-17, 06:42 PM   #893
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEED View Post
That sort of thing happens here Neal, so I take it like the UK the Saudi's are buying military goods.
Yeah, just so. If Trump was really serious, SA would have been at the top of the list. Just as I suspected, he's a wimp.
Old 01-29-17, 07:49 PM   #894
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
Yeah, just so. If Trump was really serious, SA would have been at the top of the list. Just as I suspected, he's a wimp.

Old 01-29-17, 08:27 PM   #895
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Considering that attack planner Atta was the pilot of the Jetliner that crashed the World trade center on 9/11 and from Egypt I'm appalled: The rest were Saudi's; and two were from United Arab Emirate with one from Lebanon, the ban misses the mark entirely.
Hijackers:
Mohamed Atta 33 American Airlines Flight 11 Abdulaziz al-Omari 22 Wail al-Shehri 28 Waleed al-Shehri 22 Satam al-Suqami 25 Marwan al-Shehhi 23 United Airlines Flight 175 Fayez Banihammad 24 Mohand al-Shehri 22 Hamza al-Ghamdi 20 Ahmed al-Ghamdi 22 Hani Hanjour 29 American Airlines Flight 77 Khalid al-Mihdhar 26 Majed Moqed 24 Nawaf al-Hazmi 25 Salem al-Hazmi 20 Ziad Jarrah 26 United Airlines Flight 93 Ahmed al-Haznawi 20 Ahmed al-Nami 24 Saeed al-Ghamdi 21

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Old 01-29-17, 08:35 PM   #896
Oberon
Lucky Jack

One thing that's slipped off the radar while this whole ban thing is going on is the shake-up of the National Security Council, with Steven Bannon being inserted in and the Director of National Intelligence and the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff being removed, and it's going to be headed up by Mike Flynn...so it's probably just as well that the DNI is excluded because last I checked Flynn was still under investigation for his communications with Russian officials.
It's...well, it's certainly something to watch, and it's only been a week.
Old 01-29-17, 08:41 PM   #897
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Quote:

How many other Americans and Brits have business ties with those countries?

Of the seven nations listed, six could be considered failed states with a high level of terrorist activity. The other, Iran is an active state sponsor of terrorism and a sworn enemy of the USA.

Saudi Arabia is fighting a proxy war with Iran in Yemen, one of the states on the list. Which side is America backing?

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is online  
Old 01-29-17, 08:52 PM   #898
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Quote:
One thing that's slipped off the radar while this whole ban thing is going on is the shake-up of the National Security Council, with Steven Bannon being inserted in and the Director of National Intelligence and the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff being removed, and it's going to be headed up by Mike Flynn...so it's probably just as well that the DNI is excluded because last I checked Flynn was still under investigation for his communications with Russian officials.
It's...well, it's certainly something to watch, and it's only been a week.
The order to launch missile's comes from the POTUS, but the message or the permission to launch missile's actually comes from the Joint Chiefs of Staff ...

So now instead of the chairman being on the inside ... now he is on the outside.

Sounds like Trump doesn't trust outsiders ...

How can the Joint Chiefs of Staff trust a piece of paper from the National Security Council? They will need a voice print to make sure it is Trump.
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Old 01-29-17, 08:59 PM   #899
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

47 muslim majority nations in the world. Trump temporarily freezes immigration from just 7 of these countries that are either torn apart by jihadist violence or under the control of hostile, jihadist governments.

Yet to the Democrats and their media lapdogs its: "OMG he's banning Muslims"! "He's a racist"!!!

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
Old 01-29-17, 09:22 PM   #900
eddie
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
47 muslim majority nations in the world. Trump temporarily freezes immigration from just 7 of these countries that are either torn apart by jihadist violence or under the control of hostile, jihadist governments.

Yet to the Democrats and their media lapdogs its: "OMG he's banning Muslims"! "He's a racist"!!!
You're the Alt-Right lapdog who believes everything coming out of Trumps and Bannons mouth, so I wouldn't talk to darn loud!

Al Capone
Closed Thread

Tags
biden, clinton, election, harris, obama, politics, trump, twitter