SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-01-15, 03:16 PM   #76
swamprat69er
Aceydeucy

Downloads: 11
Uploads: 0

Am I to assume that you will NEVER own another GM vehicle?

We the willing, led by the unsure, have done so much with so little, for so long, that we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.
swamprat69er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-15, 11:08 PM   #77
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolferz View Post
Did he buy a short wheel base?
yes its an extended cab short wheel base

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamprat69er View Post
I have had/owned 4 SWB pickups and have NEVER had the BS you are going through.

yes many have no problems at all, but those 20-25% of buyers that do have vibration issues, GM is not trying to fix the trucks, GM directs the dealers to just balance the tires 3 or 4 times so it looks like they are fixing it and then say the customer is stupid and being unrealistic about ride quality because it supposed to vibrate and shake when you drive it because that's just how truck ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamprat69er View Post
Am I to assume that you will NEVER own another GM vehicle?
no, im not going to say that, but I find it hard to believe I will anytime soon. but now I feel like I need a mechanic to do a full diagnostic on one and maybe open the engine to inspect it and do a compression check and adjust the valves on it before I ever think about buying it because they don't stand behind what they sell and flat out refuse to fix the serious vibration issues with these trucks or buy back the ones they cant fix like mine.

I used to think I would never own any other truck but GM, I bought a dozen of them over the last 30 years.

but with this truck they are acting like con artists who got your money and now are laughing in your face because you are stuck with a POS truck and they dont care. they said "we aren't going to try to fix it anymore unless you pay us $100 an hour labor to do it" so if your not going to do that and you are still not happy then sue us if you dont like your truck but we wont fix it.

I have been lied to throughout the whole process by everyone who spoke to me about the truck and then the write stuff on paper that completely contradicts reality and verbal admissions that they admitted about the truck having issues and they cant fix it. all the while treating me like I am stupid and telling me I don't know how a short bed truck rides after owning and driving them for 30 years.

they act like I have some sort of a problem for not being happy with a POS LEMON truck!

i'll just say that it will take a long time for this feeling of being cheated goes away and it will take a hell of a lot to ever make me want to buy a new GM again.

I do what makes the most logical financial sense and I leave all emotions out of buying vehicles, so I will always buy the best brand vehicle out there that is for sale at the time when I am buying a vehicle.

that said, from now on when all things are equal, or just close to being equal, GM goes to the bottom of the list and will NOT get the nod over others simply because of brand loyalty like they used to. those days are gone forever, in fact any brand but GM gets the nod over GM now unless there is a damn good reason to choose the GM over anything else.

Last edited by Webster; 03-28-15 at 12:46 PM.
Old 03-01-15, 11:19 PM   #78
swamprat69er
Aceydeucy

Downloads: 11

My money was used to bail GM out of certainly bankruptcy and to this day they have not offered me any interest on my money. I would even buy a Dodge before I bought a GM product. I would just have to teach the dog not to pee near it. I live in Ford country and if I ever have a need for another vehicle, it will be Ford for me.

We the willing, led by the unsure, have done so much with so little, for so long, that we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.
swamprat69er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-15, 10:51 PM   #79
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Webs! Great video, good to meet you in a video.

Yeah, you can see the bottles are twitching pretty hard, not just the water in them but the bottles themselves, A new vehicle should be a lot smoother than that.

Haha, you did that video on my birthday last year

I know you paid a lot of $$ for that truck, it should be smoother than that. Man, I looked through Autotrader and trucks are expensive!
Old 03-28-15, 12:58 AM   #80
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Just my two sents; get a Tacoma V6 very good well made truck. I picked up a 15 SR5 access cab 4x4 just a few weeks ago. Excellent fit and finish you can let the steering wheel go at 70mph and shell ride stright and true for several hundred feet. Bet a GM or Ford won't have that true an alignment. I know people that have kept Tacomas and the predecessor "pick up" for years and years after heavy use still keep on going. Also they are made in Texas.

Ask a dedicated Toyota truck owner (non new ride every few tears type) how much for your Yota his answer will be a firm not on your life. I tried to offer cash on a 95 Tacoma the guy said you'd have to shoot me dead to have that truck.
Stealhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-15, 12:21 PM   #81
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post
Webs! Great video, good to meet you in a video.

Yeah, you can see the bottles are twitching pretty hard, not just the water in them but the bottles themselves, A new vehicle should be a lot smoother than that.

Haha, you did that video on my birthday last year

I know you paid a lot of $$ for that truck, it should be smoother than that. Man, I looked through Autotrader and trucks are expensive!
tell me about it, I paid $30k for that one and it was a base model work truck with minimum accessories just what it comes with except for getting the v8 at $1800 more. I actually got a hell of a deal on it because it was going to be $35k but I talked them down to $30k after threatening to walk and even did at one point before they met my price.

if you want a fully loaded truck today they go around $50k-$60k for them. that's the definition of insanity in my book, you can almost buy some houses for that price and in fact I bought my little 2BR 1B house for $35k and spent another $20k fixing it up. (still needs another $15k thou)
of work
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealhead View Post
Just my two sents; get a Tacoma V6 very good well made truck. I picked up a 15 SR5 access cab 4x4 just a few weeks ago. Excellent fit and finish you can let the steering wheel go at 70mph and shell ride stright and true for several hundred feet. Bet a GM or Ford won't have that true an alignment. I know people that have kept Tacomas and the predecessor "pick up" for years and years after heavy use still keep on going. Also they are made in Texas.

Ask a dedicated Toyota truck owner (non new ride every few tears type) how much for your Yota his answer will be a firm not on your life. I tried to offer cash on a 95 Tacoma the guy said you'd have to shoot me dead to have that truck.
I actually went buy a first gen 1999 Tacoma EC SR5 with 120k miles to use as a DD while all this is going on, its a 5 lug 4 banger but I love it. I do wish it was a 6 cylinder but I went for gas mileage so I bought a 4 cylinder thinking it would be fine. a little after the fact thinking is I didn't realize just how weak the 4 was for pulling my flatboat around so I drive even more grampa-ish now that I dont have power to safely pass anyone on the road except grass cutting tractors unless I have a good mile long stretch of empty road ahead lol. plus the 4 banger has that aggravating rough idle because its a 4 banger. the irony is had I bought the taco new at the time I bought my 98 I would still have it and not have needed a new truck in the first place. my chevy dashboard cracked to pieces and wiring and ductwork was falling out onto the floor so that's why I had to trade in my old 98 Silverado, it just wasn't safe to drive it like that anymore.

when all is said and done I might look at another new truck but if I do im thinking mini truck but even the new tacomas are as big if not bigger then my old 98 Silverado was. nobody wants to make a small compact truck anymore and the ones who used to make them are making them so big now they are full sized trucks.

if I was forced to spend that $30k over again I think a frame off ground up full restoration on a first gen tacomas would be my only reasonable choice to get what I wanted in a truck.

Last edited by Webster; 03-28-15 at 12:52 PM.
Old 03-29-15, 06:46 PM   #82
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Mine is the access cab with standard bed(only option double cab has a short bed or standard bed) wheel base is 127.4 inches for all second gen Tacos except a double cab with standard bed.

True though as you say no one makes a small pickup anymore. Toyota stopped making a true single cab in 14. Recon not enough people where buying them.

That's the thing with trucks once they became popular outside the primarily utilitarian market they started adding things to make them more appealing to a larger market. The downside of course is that you can't really buy a good simple truck anymore and not pay less than 25k.

I like mine the size is perfect for me I will use it mainly to get my mountain bike and gear out in the boonies and also for some off road exploring.

I'll bet that half of 4wd drive trucks sold rarely if ever get to see something like this.
Old 03-29-15, 06:53 PM   #83
Stealhead
Navy Seal

That's near Dover, Tennessee in the Land Between the Lakes Recreational Area. That's just the road you use to get to the fun roads. My Taco probably thought "thank the truck gods this dude is not some suburban dweeb"
Old 03-29-15, 08:32 PM   #84
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealhead View Post

That's near Dover, Tennessee in the Land Between the Lakes Recreational Area. That's just the road you use to get to the fun roads. My Taco probably thought "thank the truck gods this dude is not some suburban dweeb"
yep lol, the truck world has been taken over by the pavement princess truck buyers so things like wanting to use a truck to haul stuff with is not a priority with the designers. my 2014 silverado tailgate height is 36" off the ground and the side rail height is 5ft off the ground so try lifting something heavy over the side rail just cant be done so they make a truck you cant put anything into except from the tailgate.

I bet 80% of the 4wd sold are never even using 4wd in their entire life other then when suzy home makers back into a ditch lol.
Old 03-29-15, 11:06 PM   #85
Stealhead
Navy Seal

What many do not realize is that the front drive portion of the drivetrain dose not get lubricated unless the truck is in 4 high or 4 low. You are supposed to drive in 4H at least 10 miles each month to lubricate the front portions gears. I'm sure that is why many older 4x4 have partially or non functional 4wd.

Another clue is watching them get stuck because they floor it. Exactly what you don't want to do. That or they'll sit there because the wheels spin and it can't slip into 4wd mode. While I was back there I saw a Dodge Ram headed out so I went to 4H and just drive on the muddy grass. For some reason the Ram did as well except he was just a 2WD. He floored it and got out. That was the only "off roader" I passed that did not wave. My daughter said "that guy was a little silly" I said "when you get older that is the kind of man you don't date".
Old 05-19-15, 07:56 PM   #86
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I came back for an update to my issue.

as of 5/18/15 GM agreed to and has been ordered by the judge in writing as part of the settlement to buy back my truck at full cost plus all insurance premiums, sales taxes, and trade in value, in short, im made completely whole by this decission.

for those who missed it I went through BBB and the GM rep which was a joke and a waste of time then I finally skipped arbitration upon the advice of my lawyer who said it would only give then a preview of your argument when then denied you at arbitration and forced you to get a lawyer anyway. now arbitration will work if you want another replacement truck but if you want your money back then the arbitration person will just tell you to go take a hike.

so to wrap up:

I bought my truck in 8/27/14 and had the bad vibration they couldn't fix and wasted two months with BBB and GM rep until finally in november I had to get a lawyer and file lemon law in civil court and here I am 6 months later finally with a resolution due in no small part to the youtube video I made that GM did not want shown to a jury in open court not to mention they had to convince the jury nothing was wrong with my truck and as soon as they saw the video there was no way they would buy GMs claim there was nothing wrong with the truck.

if you are interested the video is here: https://www.youtube....h?v=ppSl0D3AQm8

I pray no one else has to go through this but sadly there are thousands of people who bought lemons just like me and most just trade them in tby aking $8k-$10k in lost value to do it just to avoid fighting with GM about this.

Last edited by Webster; 05-19-15 at 08:04 PM.
Old 05-19-15, 08:42 PM   #87
Wolferz
Navy Seal

Downloads: 52
wolf_howl15

Good to hear you got it resolved in a positive fashion.

Government Motors will go the way of the Dodo bird if they don't stop making lemon vehicles out of cheap parts made in China and denying that their broken hardware has a problem. Especially when the defects are killing people!

I can only hope that they don't resell that lemon to some other unsuspecting consumer.

If our government has to bail them out again because of their continuing blatant mismanagement, then it's time to seek a new government.

Heck, I own a 1995 Silverado SWB 4x4 and it has never vibrated like that, even when running in FWD.

Tomorrow never comes
Wolferz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-15, 08:56 PM   #88
Wolferz
Navy Seal

Downloads: 52
wolf_howl15

[QUOTE=Stealhead;2302119]What many do not realize is that the front drive portion of the drivetrain dose not get lubricated unless the truck is in 4 high or 4 low. You are supposed to drive in 4H at least 10 miles each month to lubricate the front portions gears. I'm sure that is why many older 4x4 have partially or non functional 4wd. [quote]

Only true for the older model vehicles ( up to the late 70's) that have a straight front axle. I owned a '77 Chevy 4x4 with the rock crusher 4 speed and the straight front axle with lock out hubs. That axle needed to be exercised every so often.
The newer ones are more like a front wheel drive transaxle setup. Those axles don't need to be exercised like the older ones did.

Tomorrow never comes
Wolferz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-15, 11:00 PM   #89
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default the dearth of master mechanics vs$$$

Quote:
So far, I've only found one reply from an alleged GM certified master mechanic who suggests that a .033 shim needs to be placed under the motor mount on the drivers side. It is possible that normal engine vibrations could be transferred into the frame. That mount is very close to the steering connector shaft. If it hits harmonic resonance at the speeds you've indicated, coupled with road conditions, it's very possible for it to be felt a little in the steering wheel and more so through the rest of the chassis.
Quote:
I described your problem and showed the water cup videos to him (also a master mechanic) and his response was swift and direct. The problem is NOT normal and lies in the 'gel isolator' (No one uses rubber) motor-mounts on the engine subframe as a manufacturing defect which needs to be addressed by a recall notice. Essentially the isolator(s) (motor mount) flaw has misaligned the engine, causing the vibration. The engine mounts need to be loosened; the mounts reformed or replaced, and the engine 'rejigged' to alleviate the slight but excruciating misalignment.. He said your being screwed by the dealer and he is the man to know.
I think your guy and my guy are on to it; but as you point out with only Chinese made 'parts replacers' instead of real mechanics.... $$$ considerations and the dealer profit margin are the only real considerations. FYI: this 2014 Silverado model has 13 recall notices!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 05-19-15 at 11:17 PM.
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-15, 07:32 AM   #90
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Great to learn your sorted Webster....a long hard struggle but worth it in the end I trust

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cars, chevy, pickups, trucks