Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-22, 10:35 AM   #8881
tmccarthy
Admiral

Downloads: 270
Uploads: 16

↓ Kptlt. Neuerburg , I was only 19 that's good, I've never heard that one before. You might remember this Paul Hardcastle - 19 (The Final Story) that I heard for the first time and posted about a year or so ago.

It's interesting that both of these "19" songs were released in 1985. The 10 year anniversary of the end of the war seemed to be an important time from what I can recall being in high school at the time.

I think it's worth a repeat for anyone who hasn't seen it yet and also good to remember. I remember in my Army basic training company we had one guy killed in a peace time accident when an APC rolled over. That was Gunther, about 19, one of those pleasant happy guys always with a smile on his face. That was 30 years ago and I'm sure I think about him every year and how much he lost and his family lost to and how much life there is to experience and appreciate in that time also. That's one life, one man.

And then all the lost lives and damaged lives in avoidable and unnecessary wars over the decades, few things consistently get me mad. Fighting and dying for the politicians who start and get us into these wars? The draft and using the economically poor as replacements in Vietnam?
It's something that's not going to change by itself. A bad habit for the US, (the old military industrial complex) our politician, a too large part of our economy and our military leader ship. I guess what all this has lead to and what I'm driving at is that when the next one gets cooked up I've realized that I'm going to be "in the streets" fed up enough for the first time to protest something. Wonder how that's going to go, something to look forward to I guess, there will be success in at least trying to do something good and not standing by. Oh, and so far trying new things or following an instinct to do something different has resulted in ok to better then expected experiences. No disasters I can recall.

Anyway, that's a long post! And not what I expected when I swung by to drop off a little sci-fi techno contribution. Hope I didn't piss off or bum anyone out unnecessarily and that this weekend is good. Later.

Old 02-05-22, 10:38 AM   #8882
tmccarthy
Admiral

Old 02-05-22, 11:01 AM   #8883
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmccarthy View Post
↓ Kptlt. Neuerburg , I was only 19 that's good, I've never heard that one before. You might remember this Paul Hardcastle - 19 (The Final Story) that I heard for the first time and posted about a year or so ago.

It's interesting that both of these "19" songs were released in 1985. The 10 year anniversary of the end of the war seemed to be an important time from what I can recall being in high school at the time.

I think it's worth a repeat for anyone who hasn't seen it yet and also good to remember. I remember in my Army basic training company we had one guy killed in a peace time accident when an APC rolled over. That was Gunther, about 19, one of those pleasant happy guys always with a smile on his face. That was 30 years ago and I'm sure I think about him every year and how much he lost and his family lost to and how much life there is to experience and appreciate in that time also. That's one life, one man.

And then all the lost lives and damaged lives in avoidable and unnecessary wars over the decades, few things consistently get me mad. Fighting and dying for the politicians who start and get us into these wars? The draft and using the economically poor as replacements in Vietnam?
It's something that's not going to change by itself. A bad habit for the US, (the old military industrial complex) our politician, a too large part of our economy and our military leader ship. I guess what all this has lead to and what I'm driving at is that when the next one gets cooked up I've realized that I'm going to be "in the streets" fed up enough for the first time to protest something. Wonder how that's going to go, something to look forward to I guess, there will be success in at least trying to do something good and not standing by. Oh, and so far trying new things or following an instinct to do something different has resulted in ok to better then expected experiences. No disasters I can recall.

Anyway, that's a long post! And not what I expected when I swung by to drop off a little sci-fi techno contribution. Hope I didn't piss off or bum anyone out unnecessarily and that this weekend is good. Later.

You didn't " Bum " anyone out. It is what it is. The Vietnam era vets were always treated horribly. Many were 18 to 19 year old kids, fresh from the " corn fields " without any understanding of Vietnam or even where it was. A lot of these people, women included in the medical field suffered in silence with PTSD ( Post traumatic stress disorder ) and from exposure to chemicals like " agent orange. " Still as in war, many returned with life altering, debilitating injuries. Upon returning to the U.S, these individuals were spit on and called vile names in the airports.

When others returned from Afghanistan, Iraq and other places, they were for the most part, given a hero's welcome. To be sure, these returning service people were very deserving of not only our respect but also assistance into reintegrating back into society. This is how it should have been for our Vietnam veterans as well. Vets today honor their Vietnam era counterparts.

I remembered this video and wanted to share it. This video sums up my feeling very nicely. Showing respect costs nothing but can mean everything to someone. Have a good weekend and to everyone else as well.

Last edited by Commander Wallace; 02-05-22 at 11:09 AM.
Old 02-05-22, 05:59 PM   #8884
tmccarthy
Admiral

Commander Wallace, right on! Nice to read your reply and I will watch that video soon.

Right now I'm listening to some live "Ozzy Osbourne + Techno" from Frankfurt and certainly far from being bummed out about anything to!

Old 02-06-22, 04:13 AM   #8885
Eisenwurst
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 58

Deja Vu ???

Old 02-06-22, 11:13 AM   #8886
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 02-06-22, 05:24 PM   #8887
Eisenwurst
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 58

Old 02-06-22, 06:35 PM   #8888
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Got the two CDs and now listened to John Williams and the Berlin Philharmonics from autumn last year. Overwhelming. Superb recording and sound quality, and the orchestra is beyond doubt anyway. But the choice of pieces was not as pleasing as for the concert with the Vienna Philharmonics. Nevertheless, for fans: an unconditional recommendation.

During one of his moderations between two pieces - the CDs include these - he revealed that when he gets back to Los Angeles, he will start writing the score for the fifth Indiana Jones movie, again with Harrison Ford. I did not know that this was coming. I am also not certain that it is such a good idea, I already didnt like the fourth Indy movie that much, thought it was not necessary, really. Also, not only Ford got older - Williams is 90 years old!

What a friendly, modest and down to earth gentleman he seems to be, without airs and graces. Though very professionally with the orchestra. Reviews said the musicians were absolutely delighted finding out about his style and professionalism.

Two fantastic concerts by and with him and with two absolute world class orchestras. If you like William's music, Vienna and Berlin should be on your list, especially the Vienna concert (with Ann-Sophie Mutter). I think both set benchmarks for musical quality and sound recording quality (after all its Deutsche Grammophone, and in the Berlin Philharmonic hall which is most excellent sound characteristics, some of the best in the world - if not this combination, which one then...?). My father, who played in the German Symphony Orchestra in Berlin and so is the real professional in our family (the eternal rivalry between the Philharmonics with their superb strings and the Symphonics with their excellent winds back then was almost proverbial in the classical music scene in the mid 70s, 80s and early 90s) says both recordings have landmark character in quality, both technically and regarding orchestra sound. I certainly do not start an argument with him over that!

Dont choose - get them both! But if you want to choose, then probably: Vienna. Choice of program, and Anne-Sophie Mutter are the two things why I think the Vienna concert is slightly more recommendable than the Berlin concert.

The Imperial March at the end is in both concerts an absolute blast, btw, never was it played so good in all the years , like by thse two orchestra, not even by the Londoners. That with age came a mild slowing of tempi in Williams' conducting and interpretation, is a plus, definitely, the sound is clearer, and so much more - well, more - solid, voluminous, accentuated. Less simple yellow, more golden bronze and warm gold from late sunlight, you see...?!

Last edited by Skybird; 02-06-22 at 06:52 PM.
Old 02-06-22, 09:15 PM   #8889
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.

Last edited by Rockstar; 02-06-22 at 09:24 PM.
Old 02-07-22, 02:24 AM   #8890
Arlo
The Old Man

Downloads: 214

Old 02-07-22, 08:31 AM   #8891
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisenwurst View Post

Great song and unfortunately and sadly, all too true.

Thanks for sharing, Eisenwurst.

From the archives. Molly Hatchet- Dreams I'll never see.

Old 02-07-22, 11:18 AM   #8892
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 02-09-22, 01:00 PM   #8893
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 02-09-22, 11:00 PM   #8894
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Old 02-09-22, 11:31 PM   #8895
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Closed Thread

Tags
music