Closed Thread

Old 01-29-17, 02:01 PM   #871
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
This is part of why I hope that you guys don't go so isolationist, and that we don't go isolationist, because we can work well together and work well with Europe and keep things on the straight and level.
Don't you think the rest of Western Europe is already lost? They've lost the will to fight, albeit against a different form of foreign invasion. I bet that line of reasoning is more than anything responsible for the Brexit vote.

As for globalization, the only export I need from "that" region is a good Döner kebab and I can't even get that.
Old 01-29-17, 02:19 PM   #872
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Naah, Western Europe isn't lost, it's survived worse than what's being thrown at it right now. The only thing that can destroy Western Europe is Western Europe destroying itself, and we've already tried that twice in the last century, I hope that we don't go for a third time lucky in this one.
Think of all the various migrations and conflicts that have spread through-out Europe since the fall of Rome, and indeed, since before then, and here we are. Everything that has been before has made us what we are now, a mixture of just about every single culture and race which exists, all blending into each other, changing each other, molding each other. Some people will hold out, will try to cling to what they think is 'pure' and 'clean' but eventually everything changes.
Old 01-29-17, 02:33 PM   #873
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Icon12 The Byzantine Bersyrkyr

Quote:
Europe has been playing tug of war with the Middle East since...well, probably since the two spheres met, interrupted only by the Mongols and the occasional Viking raid.
AHEM You're overlooking the Donald Trump of his day: Harald Hardrada ...The 'Byzantine' warrior (and half brother of St Olaf) who invaded England...only to learn the 'arrow of his ways"! Rich, greedy, a total narcissist and an inflator of his own saga.... Becoming slightly...deflated! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harald_Hardrada

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 01-29-17 at 02:43 PM.
Old 01-29-17, 02:48 PM   #874
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
You could of course thank the UK for furnishing you with an internationally understood language, even if you did bastardise it.
It's bastardize with a "z" and we didn't bastardize the language, we improved (greatly) upon it.

After all what hell of extra letters would the world be in without our improvements such as "airplane" over your provincial "aeroplane" or "color" over "colour"? Where I ask you? Taking too much time writing bad poetry instead of keeping the Germans from over running Europe, that's where!

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.

Last edited by August; 01-29-17 at 03:33 PM.
August is online  
Old 01-29-17, 02:50 PM   #875
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
AHEM You're overlooking the Donald Trump of his day: Harald Hardrada ...The 'Byzantine' warrior (and half brother of St Olaf) who invaded England...only to learn the 'arrow of his ways"! Rich, greedy, a total narcissist and an inflator of his own saga.... Becoming slightly...deflated! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harald_Hardrada
Indeed, but his defeat allowed Duke William II to get a new improved nickname.
Old 01-29-17, 03:09 PM   #876
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Indeed, but his defeat allowed Duke William II to get a new improved nickname.
I see somebody reads my posts!http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2454244&postcount=1683

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Old 01-29-17, 03:40 PM   #877
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Earlier this evening I read a member mentioned that Islam was forbidden by American laws in 1952.

I made a search and found this wiki-page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigr...ty_Act_of_1952

How can this information be transformed into-"They banned Islam in 1952" from all the information on this page ?

Markus

Last edited by mapuc; 01-29-17 at 03:52 PM.
mapuc is online  
Old 01-29-17, 03:47 PM   #878
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

So, Trump sets his Muslim travel ban, but he left Saudia Arabia off. Fail.
Old 01-29-17, 03:58 PM   #879
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
So, Trump sets his Muslim travel ban, but he left Saudia Arabia off. Fail.
That sort of thing happens here Neal, so I take it like the UK the Saudi's are buying military goods.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 01-29-17, 04:12 PM   #880
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEED View Post
That sort of thing happens here Neal, so I take it like the UK the Saudi's are buying military goods.
Oh, it gets better old chap, we just inked a deal with Turkey to sell them some jets, because that Erdogan seems like a trustworthy fellow.

Old 01-29-17, 04:16 PM   #881
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
How can this information be transformed into-"They banned Islam in 1952" from all the information on this page ?

Markus
Same way that Bush did 9/11.
Old 01-29-17, 04:16 PM   #882
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8

Quote:
The only thing that can destroy Western Europe is Western Europe destroying itself. Europe since the fall of Rome.
Remember how Romans invited the barbarians under the guise of slaves being offered?
Old 01-29-17, 04:31 PM   #883
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Oh, it gets better old chap, we just inked a deal with Turkey to sell them some jets, because that Erdogan seems like a trustworthy fellow.

So this will boost the UK economics after brexit !

A royal toast to a fruitful future between your countries

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.

Last edited by Catfish; 01-29-17 at 04:45 PM.
Old 01-29-17, 04:36 PM   #884
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikalugin View Post
Remember how Romans invited the barbarians under the guise of slaves being offered?
Well, they used them a lot as mercenaries mainly. Most of the Roman army was made up of mercenaries from all over the 'barbarian' lands, mainly Germanic. In regards to the fall of Rome, the attacks by the Visigoths and Vandals were only one part of the collapse of a system which had been failing for centuries, I mean how many times were there major disagreements (aka civil wars) over who was going to be the next Emperor? I mean, that's after you get the Diocletian split.

I guess one could argue that we're heading into a Toynbeean process of decay, certainly when you read on wikipedia the following paragraphs:

Quote:
He argues that, as civilizations decay, they form an "Internal Proletariat" and an "External Proletariat." The Internal proletariat is held in subjugation by the dominant minority inside the civilization, and grows bitter; the external proletariat exists outside the civilization in poverty and chaos, and grows envious. He argues that as civilizations decay, there is a "schism in the body social," whereby abandon and self-control together replace creativity, and truancy and martyrdom together replace discipleship by the creative minority.
He argues that in this environment, people resort to archaism (idealization of the past), futurism (idealization of the future), detachment (removal of oneself from the realities of a decaying world), and transcendence (meeting the challenges of the decaying civilization with new insight, as a Prophet). He argues that those who Transcend during a period of social decay give birth to a new Church with new and stronger spiritual insights, around which a subsequent civilization may begin to form after the old has died.
Toynbee's use of the word 'church' refers to the collective spiritual bond of a common worship, or the same unity found in some kind of social order.
The great irony expressed by these and others like them is that civilizations that seem ideally designed to creatively solve problems, find themselves doing so self-destructively.
I can certainly see Archaism, Futurism, Detachment in the world today, although not a lot of Transcendence, because as it stands I don't think anyone has any answers that are going to not end in a whole lot of bloodshed, and with the weapons that we have made for ourselves I don't know if humanity can survive descending into that level of violence.
Old 01-29-17, 04:46 PM   #885
MaDef
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
Earlier this evening I read a member mentioned that Islam was forbidden by American laws in 1952.

I made a search and found this wiki-page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigr...ty_Act_of_1952

Markus
They base their conclusion on Post hoc ergo propter hoc reasoning. law '141' covers the prohibition of entry to the US if the Alien belongs to an organization seeking to overthrow the government of the United States by "force, violence, or other unconstitutional means. you can find the 'relevant'
part of the law in Chap. 2 sect.212
Closed Thread

Tags
biden, clinton, election, harris, obama, politics, trump, twitter