SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-30-16, 06:00 AM   #856
Fubar2Niner
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 275
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEED View Post
http://www.infoworld.com/article/310...ws-10-pro.html

Now the so called free period is over looks like its time to get their money back.

As the old saying goes, nothing in this world is for free. Seems MS are going to rip the pee out of it tho
Fubar2Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-16, 04:05 PM   #857
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

The next logical step will be that MS tries to install Windows or gain control for pushinging rights on PCs that connect to the web and have not even Windows running as their OS.

No, I am not joking. I just continue on a straight line the course they have plotted in the past 2 years, starting with W8. Mark my words.
Old 07-30-16, 04:11 PM   #858
c6owboy
Nub

Downloads: 77
Default Windows 10 and Silent hunter IV and V

I will share my sad story. I attempted the upgrade a week ago. The games will start and run but sadly I learned that my video card manufacture did not write updated drivers for windows 10. The generic driver made the game run hideously slow. So I fell back to windows 7. Its an old machine and I only use it for gaming. So my advice if you also run into this problem is to wait till you get all the last updates to windows 7 . Burn an imagine disk for windows 7 and hang on till you get a new machine.

all the best C6owboy
c6owboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-16, 05:27 PM   #859
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

c6owboy!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-16, 08:50 AM   #860
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Welcome to SubSim c6owboy

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-16, 05:40 AM   #861
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Quote:
The case against Windows 10 Anniversary Update grows
http://www.infoworld.com/article/310...ate-grows.html

Just for those of you on Win10.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-16, 12:42 PM   #862
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453

Installed on 2 of 3 computers running Windows 10, no problems, except the System Restore issue which is easily corrected by turning it back on.

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-16, 07:10 AM   #863
DragonRider
Predator of the sea

Downloads: 6

So Windows 10 scores a massive own goal with its new features update.
This up-date downloads then installs then downloads and installs and then again and again and again in a never ending loop.
This slows you computer down and also you keep getting asked to restart.
Any saves you make seem to go missing and in the end the system ties itself in a knot.
This is a real kick in the ass for all those who stood by Windows 10 and put
themselves out to fix all the little problems with it from the start.
Back to Windows 8.1 for me
Old 08-16-16, 08:46 AM   #864
STEED
Lucky Jack

GAME OVER FOR WIN7/8.1

Looks like our fight back against the evil MS is about to to be delivered a blow this October.

Win7 and 8.1 to get cumulative updates – you no longer control your Win7 or 8.1 machine

https://www.askwoody.com/2016/win7-a...ative-updates/

Well thanks a bunch MS you have just reinforced the known fact you don't care, you want to rule the waves and you will walk over us to do it.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 08-16-16, 10:33 AM   #865
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

As much as I strongly disagree with what MS are doing I must say I am hardly surprised.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-16, 02:19 PM   #866
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453

Actually their idea is a good one if, you ever need to reinstall your operating system. Only one cumulative update to download instead of hundreds of separate ones and, if you only want the security updates you can get just those all in one separate download. Of course, there will always be those who hate anything Microsoft does.

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-16, 02:28 PM   #867
Skybird
Soaring

End game.

Few will remember, but I predicted somethign like this in the days when the first hard informations about what Windows 8 would look like made the rounds. Most of you guys called me Cassaandra and laughed.

I commented on the above linked blog entry at Woody's site, under the name "Marc", and I have nothing to add to those remarks. You can recognise it easily by its length and my usual typos.

Last edited by Skybird; 08-16-16 at 02:39 PM.
Skybird is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-16, 02:39 PM   #868
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by HW3 View Post
Actually their idea is a good one if, you ever need to reinstall your operating system. Only one cumulative update to download instead of hundreds of separate ones and, if you only want the security updates you can get just those all in one separate download. Of course, there will always be those who hate anything Microsoft does.
Getting locked out from your unconditional right to command your system, never is any good. Even less so when the perpetrator has such a prominent record of releasing broken oatches, opatches disabling systems, and abusing his access possibilities for profiliung and spying.

I use an archive DVD of patches, status late summer last year, when reinstalling Windows 7 these days, I do not trust MS and will never allow my system again to vastly connect to their servers. Too much brown smelly stuff has been intentionally mislabeled and lied about, and got pushed on people'S systems under fraudulent claims and lying explanations.

I am convinced that the massive update scanning problems of the past weeks and months have been intentionally designed and left the way they are in, to make the experience unpleasant for people and pushing them to abandon old W7, and get W10.

But I assume people with W10 finding that thei mahcines do not work anymore due to the latest flow of prkioed W10 updates, hardly is any more pleasant. Its a very bad opütion to allow Microsoft poushign its sh!t onto your HD at their will, neitherneeding your "Yes" anymore, nor caring for your opinion and intention.

But if you excuse all that and find words to comfoprt yourself - okay, yopu time yopu waste with repairing your system. You reap the fruitis you have helped to sowe. These fruits here now are black, stinking, and poisonous.

P.S. I have ended my commenting at Woody'S blog with today's posting, and I also stop posting in this thread now. Windows is dead. Out.
Old 08-16-16, 03:40 PM   #869
STEED
Lucky Jack

Before October I will be cleaning up my PC and removing all stuff that is private and not for sale if you get my drift. Looks like next year I will be on the hunt for a pre-installed OS that is not microsoftcrime.

Old 08-16-16, 03:56 PM   #870
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEED View Post
Before October I will be cleaning up my PC and removing all stuff that is private and not for sale if you get my drift. Looks like next year I will be on the hunt for a pre-installed OS that is not microsoftcrime.
Going for a preinstalled Linux is a good idea because then the manufacturer/seller can and must guarantee the compatability of all hardware components, and their proper support with Linux drivers. Some brands do better in this than others, some boycott Linux more or less actively by having signed alliance contracts with Microsoft. The Kraken unfortunately casts a shadow in Linux land, too.

And why would one give up Windows just to move to Apple or Google? Thats out from the frying pan and into the fire.

Tags
windows