SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-21-12, 01:48 PM   #856
flostt
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 86
Uploads: 0

I dont want to torp this thread and destroy some very good ideas, but the sim is called

SH5 - Battle of the Atlantic

Do we really need to include a Monsun Gruppe where the operational area is 1000's of kilometers away

Well, most of the action (german u-boat attacks on shipping) happened in the Atlantic and in the Mediterranean...
Old 03-21-12, 02:20 PM   #857
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by flostt View Post
I dont want to torp this thread and destroy some very good ideas, but the sim is called

SH5 - Battle of the Atlantic
Well, this is why mods do exist: they modify a game. After all the mod we are talking about is called Open Horizons, not Open Atlantic. If Trevally wants its orizons to be open, I don't see why we would close them

Quote:
Do we really need to include a Monsun Gruppe where the operational area is 1000's of kilometers away
No, we don't need it. We can just try to do it, if we want. I was just answering to Trevally, asking for some new ideas...

Quote:
Well, most of the action (german u-boat attacks on shipping) happened in the Atlantic and in the Mediterranean...

Mediterranean is not the Atlantic. Including the Mare Nostrum campaign in a game called Battle of the Atlantic should be considered the latest blunder made by devs!
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-12, 08:47 AM   #858
misha1967
Commander

Downloads: 78

Quick question, Trevally: I've been having trouble getting my targets to sink in any way other than straight and level, sitting and bobbing on the surface for ages first, even when cracked in two right down the middle. No lists, no rolling over, no going down bow or stern first, just slowly getting deeper in the water until they finally sink and settle, I would assume, perfectly level on the bottom.

So I went hunting for mods that modify the Zones.cfg file from TDW's FX 0.0.19 and I found that OHII 1.7 enviro does that. Obviously, my first thought was that it simply adds zones to the new types of objects, but is there something in there that might affect the way that ships blow up and sink?

Thanks

[EDIT]: Never mind. Ran a WinMerge comparison on the Zones.cfg from FX 0_0_19 and OHII enviro 1.7 and they're completely identical. Back to the drawing board

Last edited by misha1967; 03-22-12 at 09:50 AM.
misha1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-12, 09:18 AM   #859
vit90
Seaman

Downloads: 100
SAVE!!!!!

Guys! Who has save campaign files? Give me please, at least that campaign to Mediterranean was open. And that windows broke and together with it and my save files. I want to continue the game...
vit90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-12, 10:23 AM   #860
Trevally.
Navy Seal

Downloads: 166
Uploads: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by misha1967 View Post
Quick question, Trevally: I've been having trouble getting my targets to sink in any way other than straight and level, sitting and bobbing on the surface for ages first, even when cracked in two right down the middle. No lists, no rolling over, no going down bow or stern first, just slowly getting deeper in the water until they finally sink and settle, I would assume, perfectly level on the bottom.

So I went hunting for mods that modify the Zones.cfg file from TDW's FX 0.0.19 and I found that OHII 1.7 enviro does that. Obviously, my first thought was that it simply adds zones to the new types of objects, but is there something in there that might affect the way that ships blow up and sink?

Thanks

[EDIT]: Never mind. Ran a WinMerge comparison on the Zones.cfg from FX 0_0_19 and OHII enviro 1.7 and they're completely identical. Back to the drawing board
Yes misha they are the same files
TDW added the icebergs and mines to the game and they use the zone files as do the new ships.

For the sinking of ships - I have had a few capsize and sink by both bow and stern. But for the most part they do sink boring level.

I have made a test mission here https://rapidshare.com/files/3435443...nking_Tests.7z
It put you in front of a few stopped ships to test sinking.

I have noticed that if you hit a BB high on the waterline - it may turn over.

Here are some tests I ran when I shot of a stern

Here I noticed that when the main hull hit the bottom and was removed from the game - the stern was still afloat and resulted in a ctd
Old 03-22-12, 12:19 PM   #861
misha1967
Commander

Downloads: 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevally. View Post
Here I noticed that when the main hull hit the bottom and was removed from the game - the stern was still afloat and resulted in a ctd
Every time you think you've seen every possible glitch this sim might throw at us, you find another

Well, at least I'm not the only one thinking that the ships tend to sink in pretty much the same way every time. I was beginning to think that maybe it was all in my head.

Thanks for the reply!
Old 03-22-12, 03:02 PM   #862
quink99
中国水兵

Downloads: 941

I, for one, think that the proposed Monsun Campaign is an appropriate part of the U-boat's WWWII history and most look forward to it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Trevally
The only thing I am not sure if I can do is to place bunkers where they would need to be (have not tried before)
To the best of my knowledge and readings no bunkers were used in any of the asian bases which the U-boats used during Monsun. They were all conventional docks and ports;principally Japanese naval bases.
quink99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-12, 04:30 PM   #863
Kptlt. Neuerburg
Admiral

Downloads: 54

Trevally could you please re-upload this mod to a different host site as the current one is having some problems.
Old 03-22-12, 05:40 PM   #864
Trevally.
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kptlt. Hellmut Neuerburg View Post
Trevally could you please re-upload this mod to a different host site as the current one is having some problems.
Working ok for me

I will add it to a new site tomorrow
Old 03-22-12, 05:49 PM   #865
Kptlt. Neuerburg
Admiral

Downloads: 54

Thanks much Trevally, I'm looking foward to using OHII!
Old 03-22-12, 06:55 PM   #866
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by quink99 View Post
I, for one, think that the proposed Monsun Campaign is an appropriate part of the U-boat's WWWII history and most look forward to it.
At least I have scored 1 point!
By the way, I've discovered that both GWX and Operation Monsun for SHIV by lurker featured a monsun campaign. Has any sea dog here ever played these mods? I hope I didn't offend anyone by mentioning GWX in public!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quink99 View Post
To the best of my knowledge and readings no bunkers were used in any of the asian bases which the U-boats used during Monsun. They were all conventional docks and ports;principally Japanese naval bases.
Yes, you are probably right. I've found on axihistory forum this thread on the subject. It features some information and pictures, but I am sure that you have access to better sources than this one.
This is another picture I've found, showing U-boats docked along the pier of Penang:

Old 03-23-12, 05:09 AM   #867
Trevally.
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kptlt. Hellmut Neuerburg View Post
Thanks much Trevally, I'm looking foward to using OHII!
https://rapidshare.com/files/1195849...full_v1.7.5.7z
Old 03-23-12, 05:13 AM   #868
Trevally.
Navy Seal

Moving the bunker would be required for starting objectives and to give the upgrade officer and the KMO.

To make the bunkers open piers - Im sure that would need to be done in the gr2 files

I will finish v1.8 first and then look at testing moving the bunkers
Old 03-23-12, 05:26 AM   #869
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevally. View Post
Moving the bunker would be required for starting objectives and to give the upgrade officer and the KMO.

To make the bunkers open piers - Im sure that would need to be done in the gr2 files

I will finish v1.8 first and then look at testing moving the bunkers
Thank you Trevally, you are the man!
However, 'til now I didn't see too much enthousiasm here around Monsun campaign
I wonder if bringing it into OHII is worth your efforts...
Old 03-23-12, 05:41 AM   #870
Trevally.
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
Thank you Trevally, you are the man!
However, 'til now I didn't see too much enthousiasm here around Monsun campaign
I wonder if bringing it into OHII is worth your efforts...
Yes - making this would require all layers built from scratch with new nations, ports, traffic etc. Is it worth it for 1 campaign section

Tags
awesome, campaign, graf zeppelin, harbour, new bases, new ships, ohii