SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-21-08, 12:27 PM   #826
DrBeast
The Old Man

Downloads: 36
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doolittle81
A question: With NSM, Light or Classic, there are specific related "ROW Pacific Environment Special Effects for NSM..." MODs. Will Kriller or someone have to update those MODs to work with your (and Werner's) new NSM for American Ships MOD? Or, will the current/existing "ROW PE SFX for NSM" Mods work with all ships, Japanese and American?
As far as I know, the zones.cfg hasn't changed in UBM. According to the playtesters (cause I don't have 1.5), the Special Effects work just fine with 1.5. As soon as there's a new version of NSM available, I'll check it out and make any changes, if necessary.

Footnote: maybe I should leave modesty behind and just write it down in the Readme that I'm the one who fine-tuned those SFX mods...? :p

Let the Beast inside you free!
DrBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-08, 12:48 PM   #827
Snaptrap
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 0

With time to spare, I was able to get into the sim and zon files. It's interesting cause I don't think the sim files will be needed. I'm not even sure exactly why Werner used them since I am getting the exact affect with just the zon files. I'll see what happens just in case it's something in the displacement or draught. If it is, there's probably a way to make additional changes to the zone.cfg and zon files so the sims won't be needed.
Snaptrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-08, 12:55 PM   #828
Snaptrap
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBeast
As far as I know, the zones.cfg hasn't changed in UBM. According to the playtesters (cause I don't have 1.5), the Special Effects work just fine with 1.5. As soon as there's a new version of NSM available, I'll check it out and make any changes, if necessary.
It has. A few things have been renamed and settings have been changed from 1.4. This file is already finished and you can actually get a slow sinking effect with it alone though it's not perfect without the other files. I just made the necessary adjustments with the applicable unit settings that would affect the sink rates and left everything else unchanged.
Old 05-21-08, 01:01 PM   #829
DrBeast
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaptrap
With time to spare, I was able to get into the sim and zon files. It's interesting cause I don't think the sim files will be needed. I'm not even sure exactly why Werner used them since I am getting the exact affect with just the zon files. I'll see what happens just in case it's something in the displacement or draught. If it is, there's probably a way to make additional changes to the zone.cfg and zon files so the sims won't be needed.
If memory serves, Werner only changed a few .sim files, and the only changes he made were pertaining to displacement.

Quote:
Quote:
It has. A few things have been renamed and settings have been changed from 1.4. This file is already finished and you can actually get a slow sinking effect with it alone though it's not perfect without the other files. I just made the necessary adjustments with the applicable unit settings that would affect the sink rates and left everything else unchanged.
Oh? That's interesting to know...I've been using the 1.5 zones.cfg on 1.4 for a month or so, maybe even more, to no (visible) ill effect. Anyway, I'm on standby; as soon as it's published I'll step in and add the eye-candy

Old 05-21-08, 01:32 PM   #830
Malakie
Bosun

Downloads: 129

Hi,

Am another user here just itching to get this back working again... 1.5 seems a bit blah without now! :hmm:

Now if someone could figure out a way to 'skip time' or skip to next waypoint that would sure be nice. Sometimes it gets to be a pain waiting for the sub to cross half the world just to get to station...

MalakieUSN
Malakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-08, 01:45 PM   #831
Snaptrap
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Oh? That's interesting to know...I've been using the 1.5 zones.cfg on 1.4 for a month or so, maybe even more, to no (visible) ill effect. Anyway, I'm on standby; as soon as it's published I'll step in and add the eye-candy
Yeah, from what I see there's nothing really drastic changed that would affect the game. I'm just incorporating the actual modifications from NSM into the file and not the changes from 1.4.

You have changes added into NSM?
Old 05-21-08, 05:30 PM   #832
Snaptrap
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doolittle81
This is good news..and I think you have offerred a fine, cooperative, "team" approach which characterizes much of the MODing work here at Subsim community.

A question: With NSM, Light or Classic, there are specific related "ROW Pacific Environment Special Effects for NSM..." MODs. Will Kriller or someone have to update those MODs to work with your (and Werner's) new NSM for American Ships MOD? Or, will the current/existing "ROW PE SFX for NSM" Mods work with all ships, Japanese and American?
My only hope is that I'm not doing the wrong thing. With so many people with high expectations, I'm actually quite terrified of making a mistake.

Right now, I'm just converting the classic version. I'll do the light later.
Old 05-22-08, 04:41 AM   #833
DrBeast
The Old Man

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, from what I see there's nothing really drastic changed that would affect the game. I'm just incorporating the actual modifications from NSM into the file and not the changes from 1.4.

You have changes added into NSM?
Not NSM per se, I've just made NSM-compatible versions of ROW PE Special Effects for it. Only changes to zones.cfg regarding cargo load and effects types.

ETA: Don't sweat it man, we're only humans. There won't be angry mobs at your doorstep demanding to drown, hang and quarter you

Old 05-23-08, 03:54 PM   #834
Xypher
Watch

Downloads: 1

Why hasent this been stickied?
Xypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-08, 12:27 PM   #835
Snaptrap
Eternal Patrol

I'm running tests with the u-boat campaign to see how certain warships react. The King George is complete but I think the captain had a little too much brew.

Old 05-25-08, 01:01 PM   #836
DrBeast
The Old Man

Quote:
I'm running tests with the u-boat campaign to see how certain warships react. The King George is complete but I think the captain had a little too much brew.

*snip!*

The other ship split in half after the collision...?

Old 05-25-08, 01:51 PM   #837
John_Doe_16
Seaman

Downloads: 3

Hi,

thanks a lot for working on portin this great mod to SH4 1.5

But there always has been one tiny thing with NSM that bothered me, and maybe it is fixable:

When you hit a sip with a torpedoe, you often don't see 3D damage in NSM, or, if you see it, the holes are very, very small... (yes, I checked carefully that 3D-damage was fully enabled in options...) With the deckgun there were also no holes that I could notice... (only with NSM enabled)

I think this may be connected to stronger armor values or something like that, so the hole-size may be hardcoded to be relative to maybe damage taken, and so maybe it can't be easily fixed, but if you could, it would be great to have the 3D-damage-eye-candy, together with the great sinking system...

Keep up the great work
John_Doe_16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-08, 02:10 PM   #838
DrBeast
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Doe_16
Hi,

thanks a lot for working on portin this great mod to SH4 1.5

But there always has been one tiny thing with NSM that bothered me, and maybe it is fixable:

When you hit a sip with a torpedoe, you often don't see 3D damage in NSM, or, if you see it, the holes are very, very small... (yes, I checked carefully that 3D-damage was fully enabled in options...) With the deckgun there were also no holes that I could notice... (only with NSM enabled)

I think this may be connected to stronger armor values or something like that, so the hole-size may be hardcoded to be relative to maybe damage taken, and so maybe it can't be easily fixed, but if you could, it would be great to have the 3D-damage-eye-candy, together with the great sinking system...

Keep up the great work
Yes, 3D damage is related to damage caused, and over how big an area, provided the ammunition's "Armor Piercing" value exceeds the target's Armor value. Since some of these factors have been tweaked down in NSM (each for a variety of reasons), I'm afraid you'll have to live with that. Or, remove the shells.zon file from the mod's Data\Library folder before you activate it to have stock damage values for your deckgun.

Old 05-25-08, 02:14 PM   #839
Snaptrap
Eternal Patrol

Quote:

The other ship split in half after the collision...?
It did. KG was moving at full speed cause I had already hit it a few minutes earlier. The destroyer was heading towards me and KG cut in front just as the destroyer tried to kick it into reverse to avoid the collision. It was better off just moving full speed ahead. KG took just over 15 minutes to sink with 5 torps.
Old 05-25-08, 02:20 PM   #840
DrBeast
The Old Man

Wow...that must be the first time I've seen two AI ships collide! They always seem to possess this uncanny ability of avoiding collision ALL THE TIME! Well done!