SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-11-16, 12:31 PM   #826
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEED View Post
True, just have to see if anyone has the guts to stand up to MS and say that is it see you in court.
I think it's money more than guts. I have guts, we have guts, they have big buck lawyers.

I read some of the comments after that article and learned that there is no Media Center in Win 10. It was DC'd after Win 7 but people could still get it for Win 8 & 8.1. I haven't used it but many were complaining about its absence in the comments. Maybe I'll check it out... lol
aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-16, 01:36 PM   #827
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

My Windows media player is crap, it keeps locking up and crashing. Stopped using the dam thing a few years ago

Thank goodness for VLC never had a issue with that.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-16, 07:54 AM   #828
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
My Windows media player is crap, it keeps locking up and crashing. Stopped using the dam thing a few years ago

Thank goodness for VLC never had a issue with that.
Never had any substantial issues with Media Player tbh but have used VLC for a looong time now.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-16, 10:43 AM   #829
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Never had any substantial issues with Media Player tbh but have used VLC for a looong time now.
Yep, I've used VLC too long to switch & learn new (old) tricks. It does everything I need and keeps improving.
Old 06-12-16, 11:41 AM   #830
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

It may just be that I'm illiterate in these things, but I keep using WMP mainly because it presents my music the way I want it. If VLC can be made to look like this I'd love to know.

Old 06-12-16, 12:54 PM   #831
aanker
Pacific Thunder

If you're happy with and used to WMC/WMP keep using it.

VLC is more 'primitive' looking but can do so many things, I use it for video and let the folder thumbnails display folder contents.

Here's part of their Wiki support:
https://wiki.videolan.org/Documentation:Open_Media/

Hope that helps.
Old 06-12-16, 01:59 PM   #832
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I'm not praising WMP. It has its share of faults. I just like that one interface and I really do wish I could find something else that would let me have a similar screen.

MS has released new 'Music' and 'Video' players, which are supposedly much better than WMP. I didn't like either one of them. I'm probably just a crusty curmudgeon. Or a musty crustacean.
Old 06-15-16, 08:39 AM   #833
STEED
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Reader reports missing “Never check for updates” in Win7
http://www.askwoody.com/2016/reader-...win7/#comments

If this is the work of MS then I hardly see them stopping there.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 06-15-16, 12:00 PM   #834
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Win 7 still configured correctly here, maybe they were confused by Win Update Screen 1 below??

GWX working in monitor mode.

So far, so good. I don't like the last sentence beginning with "Note:" though.

Last edited by aanker; 06-15-16 at 12:09 PM.
Old 06-15-16, 12:11 PM   #835
STEED
Lucky Jack

Un-tick those boxes.

Last edited by STEED; 06-15-16 at 12:25 PM.
Old 06-15-16, 01:04 PM   #836
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Quote:
Un-tick those boxes.
Where does it say or show that? I would appreciate seeing something please, I've been looking on his support and also watching YouTube videos to try to find that.

Okay, Thank you again Steed

When I do check for updates I uncheck those I don't want, and this month we're on DefCon 2 so I'm not checking.

Last edited by aanker; 06-15-16 at 02:07 PM.
Old 06-15-16, 04:07 PM   #837
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Today I worked on my second computer in a week that was in the process of updating itself. The customer was working on their machine and the screen went black. They shut it down and took it to a computer repair shop which shall remain anonymous. They said "It's in a boot loop and the fix is to reinstall the operating system. $65.00" Well, that's not a bad price to reinstall the operating system, but that's not what she needed. She left there and took the computer to me.

I found when I booted up the computer the friendly "Would you like to upgrade now or tonight?" box with the sucker X in the upper right corner. Fine. Leave the box open and download GWX Control Panel. Install and then close the Windows Update dialog box with Task Manager.

Job done. I charged $25.00 and told her she didn't have to worry about Microsoft tricking her again. She was very happy.

By the way my own computer has been set to "automatically download and install updates" a couple of times in the past couple of weeks. Microsoft is on the prowl and it believes its success comes from the exploitation of its customers. Microsoft is wrong.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-16, 05:05 PM   #838
andy_311
The Old Man

Downloads: 82
Uploads: 0

I would like to ask a serious question here 2 days ago my user account went ape it seemed everything just failed I didn't have much choice but I called MS support and explained the situation to them and they did fix the issue to some part. They made me a new account and named it "Test" and then moved everything from my old account into test and it seems to work fine now (I had to get rid of all the malware and spyware )however it came at a price 149GB of hard drive space.Now I would like to ask all the know how guys is I have 2 accounts in my users folder one named from my previous account and test.Am just wondering is it safe to delete my previous account because I want to recover that 149 Gb of space ?.
Old 06-16-16, 10:18 AM   #839
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_311 View Post
I would like to ask a serious question here 2 days ago my user account went ape it seemed everything just failed I didn't have much choice but I called MS support and explained the situation to them and they did fix the issue to some part. They made me a new account and named it "Test" and then moved everything from my old account into test and it seems to work fine now (I had to get rid of all the malware and spyware )however it came at a price 149GB of hard drive space.Now I would like to ask all the know how guys is I have 2 accounts in my users folder one named from my previous account and test.Am just wondering is it safe to delete my previous account because I want to recover that 149 Gb of space ?.
Two things you need to make sure. Is your original account still the only administrator on the machine? If so you have to log into that account and make your new account an administrator. Otherwise you risk losing any administrative control. And you can't delete the original adminiatrator account from a user account!

Second, are you absolutely sure you've migrated everything you need because it's about to take a permanent vacation!

Then log into your new account and remove administrator statis from your first account. Delete away!

Now, on my computers I have an administrator account I never use under normal circumstances. All my other accounts are user accounts. That way if I lose my user account I still have the administrator account to effect repairs from. And it never gets corrupted because it's only used for strictly administration purposes.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-16, 01:51 PM   #840
andy_311
The Old Man

Downloads: 82
Uploads: 0

thanks you RR for the advice,checked everything you said and recovered my 149 gb thank you.

Tags
windows