SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-09-22, 09:09 AM   #61
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

I searched again - and found a watch thread by Jim, from 2011...
Old 04-09-22, 09:51 AM   #62
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1375

i just got a standard wrist watch nothing fancy put got a pretty good collection of pocket watches
Old 04-09-22, 10:25 AM   #63
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58

I've had my WR100 for over ten years.

As basic as an Eco Drive gets, never needs winding, keeps accurate time, doesn't feel like my wrist is handcuffed to a safe deposit box.

I swapped out the stock band for an elastic / velcro cloth band I found at WalMart. Well beyond "low maintenance", more like "no maintenance". All I do is keep it under a table lamp when I don't wear it.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-22, 10:46 AM   #64
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

This is my every day wear watch

Citizen F900 JDM

Unfortunately it was JDM so it cost more. I also brought the export version but did not like the hands. I still have it and might sell it.

I did briefly have the Trume watch in my other thread, but I returned it. I am kinda regretting that decision as it is still a nice watch and I took quite the bath in return fees.

I still have my Omega Seamaster 2254

Which I still think is the best looking seamaster they made. If Omega made 2254 body with the new coax drive, that would be

Old 04-09-22, 01:10 PM   #65
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Threads merged.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-22, 01:10 PM   #66
Skybird
Soaring

I like the classical look of the Seamaster. If I were after a diving watch, something looking like this, not overdone like some others out there, would be on my watch list.

But I would not spend more than lets say 500 coins for a watch. Any watch. After all, to me its still just a watch, not an investement. But i can understand that other people spend more. Its hobby, taste, fun. Why not. I have seven different LED flashlights, really needing I do none of them. LOL

Sometimes when I watch the online catalogue, it amuses me that here I see a watch for lets say 5000 coins and like the looks of it, and then I see another watch which I also like by the looks, and it costs 70 coins.

I observed that - by looks - I seem to tend to favour Asian products, even Chinese ones at time ("Orient") - over European brands. The Europeans often are so ultra-modern in style and design, so linear and sober and cold that already looking at them have your eyes running the risk of getting sliced into equal quarters. The only exception are sometimes so-called "aviation" watches that in some way tend to remind of old classical cockpit instruments, like Reece's Junkers watches. But usually, when I ike the looks of a watch and look at the brand, its a Citizen most often, followed by "Seikos". I think its definitely true that different brands follow different and quite individual design philosophies. I also think the European watches, namely the luxury segment, are overpriced, compared to the Japanese ones. That is no surprise, since the Japanese were especially after beating the Europeans over the price, while offering same or even better quality. Three of my watches in use are Citizens, one is a Seiko. I could think of one or two other certain Seiko models to get, but currently feel no urgent craving.
Old 04-09-22, 02:14 PM   #67
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58

BTW, I'm not a watch snob.

There were a couple of things I learned in the Navy that led me to my Citizen.

1). Submarines are the best environment ever created to trash a watch crystal. The smaller the crystal, the better the chance of having it survive. I've seen my share of diver's watches get trashed during after watch clean ups and field days.

2). "You don't need all of that". Its true. You can invest some large coin in wrist metal that features everything from leap years, to the astrology signs, to lucky lotto numbers, and it gets to the point where the hands of the watch get in the way of all the other hoo hah that's going on.

3). "Tested to 500 meters". Ah, look. If you're at 500 meters depth and you're not wearing a space suit, you already have bigger problems than having your watch get wet.

4). If you have to wear a Rolex on the street, make sure your head has been Baseball Bat Proofed. A flashy watch is one of the easiest things to steal. All they have to do is bap you one on your head. Think about it, you can tell time accurate to one second per month. Do you really need to share that with the rest of the world?
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-22, 03:28 PM   #68
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

The Citizen F900 and Seamaster are both excellent watches. Jimbuna had mentioned a Seiko years ago that he wears that remains a great watch. Certainly, there are other great watches as well. Invicta is known for making some truly ugly and garish watches. They also make truly incredible watches as well. Invicta's service and quality control are another matter.

Someone purchased for me what can be described as a Submariner homage watch made by Invicta. It's on the higher end. It came with a 316 surgical stainless steel case in 40mm, high end oyster stainless steel band with solid end links. It also has a true sapphire crystal and the movement / engine is a Swiss Sellita SW 200-1 automatic movement. The watch is / was Swiss made.

Sellita made the Swiss Eta 2824 movements and when the patents expired, began to manufacture their own movements based on the Eta 2824 and other Eta movements.

The movement keeps exceptional time although I don't wear it except for functions where I have to dress up. I have been asked if my watch is a Rolex and I always answer, " No, it's way better." I reply It didn't cost near what a Rolex costs.

For the most part, I wear a Pulsar 40mm black case diver watch in Quartz. It was I think like $ 120.00 dollars when I purchased it. In most cases, you can get a fairly cheap Quartz and it will always keep better time than the most expensive automatic watch.

By the way, I have more expensive watches and I don't see where they keep time any better than a cheaper watch. Other than being a status symbol, they are useless. I say wear what you like and who cares what watch snobs think.

Last edited by Commander Wallace; 04-09-22 at 06:10 PM.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-22, 03:58 PM   #69
Skybird
Soaring

I wonder why people always think and say that clocks measure time. They don't, they have no sensor and thus measure nothing. They are an automatism that runs down its inherent energy, may it be battery or spring, like a metronome. Does a metronome measure music?

But then, probbaly our complete understanding of time may be off a bit anyway.

What I like in watches, in knifes, swords, Swiss army knifes and multi-tools, is the craftsmanship displayed by the item, the precision, the knowledge, sometimes the passion, always the looks and the beauty in it. Fascinating stuff.
Old 04-09-22, 06:07 PM   #70
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird
edit: FROM HERE ON: 2 THREADS MERGED.
@ Skybird: Thanks for reading my thought waves and uniting Platapus's 2019 thread with your continuation therof...I couldn't seem to find it after searching for it half the morning.
Quote:
Nice Skybird, especially the Citizen.
I have a nice selection but don't know how to get the pics posted. Mine include:
Junkers TANTE JU 52
Junkers 6270/0834 (Automatic)
Tissot PRC 200 T461
Vandenbroeck & Cie
Taucmeister 1937 T0145

All German except the Tissot.
^ A little help ol' pard; as close as i can get it??! Here's one I like from the 50's in my collection: The Le Coultre Futurematic < this one: my 1960 Wakmann just came back from the watchmaker after I inadvertently got water in its Venus 178 3-dial movement... the wallet damge : $800.00 incl new spring and chrono part; plus routine cleaning!!??

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 04-09-22 at 11:08 PM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-22, 06:21 PM   #71
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

I found it within a few second-I somehow remembered the title and who had created the thread. There was only one thing I remembered wrong though.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-22, 10:57 PM   #72
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
Hey Commander! a Croton will suffice for your Rolex knock-off! A nice Japanese automatic movement; I got mine at Big 5 for $50 and the local Rolex dealer is even impressed! Plus you can hand it over to a highend bling-bandit on the mean streets without much ado!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ET2SN View Post
BTW, I'm not a watch snob.
4). If you have to wear a Rolex on the street, make sure your head has been Baseball Bat Proofed. A flashy watch is one of the easiest things to steal. All they have to do is bap you one on your head. Think about it, you can tell time accurate to one second per month. Do you really need to share that with the rest of the world?
Precisely! ...no sense 'wrisking' a Rolex fortune on the 'Merican mean streets these daze. My Croton ^ (above) vs a real Rolex <used: $13,500...ie: I'm up $13,450 on the day!! and lookin' just as good without a fractured skull!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 04-10-22 at 10:44 AM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-22, 01:02 AM   #73
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
Precisely! ...no sense 'wrisking' a Rolex fortune on the 'Merican mean streets these daze. My Croton ^ (above) vs a real Rolex <used: $13,500...ie: I'm up $13,450 on the day!! and lookin' just good without a fractured skull!

I agree with you. The auto movement in an Invicta is a 24 jewel Seiko NH35A movement. It is identical to the Seiko 4R35 movement. It is a good quality movement. They are 21,600 BPH movements

https://calibercorner.com/seiko-caliber-4r35/

Seiko watches equipped with the 4R35 movement retail at about the $ 500 dollar amount so, the Invicta represents a good value. My Invicta on the other hand was made by the Swiss and has a higher end Sellita movement. The Sellita is a Swiss movement that duplicates the Eta movements. I believe it is 25 or 26 jewel movements. Mine has been regulated by a jeweler friend and is well within COSC standards and is a 28,800 BPH movement. The Invicta isn't really what I would call a " knock off " of a Rolex although styled very similar. Mine was bought for me as a gift and I wasn't going to say no to it.

https://millenarywatches.com/what-is-cosc/

Watches that use the Eta 2824 movement include

• Tudor
  • Raymond Weil
  • IWC
  • Oris
  • Tag Heuer
  • Hublot
  • Sinn
  • Alpina

I also have Citizen, Bullova, Pulsar and Seiko Quartz watches and all of them keep better time than Swiss automatic movements including the higher end watches.

https://www.livwatches.com/blogs/eve...ultimate-guide

https://almostontime.com/everything-...ita-movements/

https://calibercorner.com/seiko-caliber-4r35/

Last edited by Commander Wallace; 04-10-22 at 01:12 AM.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-22, 03:22 AM   #74
Skybird
Soaring

Humorous video on my Seiko. Just that mine is black with midnight blue sunburst, the one in the video is black with grey sunburst.
Old 04-10-22, 04:19 AM   #75
Skybird
Soaring

100.000% price difference explained.

Last edited by Skybird; 04-10-22 at 04:33 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote