SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-05-06, 06:30 PM   #706
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297
Uploads: 0

Thank you guys for your interest. I'm kind of surprised, since I thought people were mainly warship fans by & large.

All of the prewar ships are from the LL (she had kids again). The CAM is from the NKGN mod by Sergbuto.

Thanks for catching that cargo node error - I've moved some cranes and ventilation ducts. I checked some historical photos today & also noticed a paint scheme error for the grey-hulled freighter, so I'm going to replace the tga file.

What do you think of the ship with the red stack? It's been annoying - I just can't get the superstructure to look quite right.

Re: the tankers - I practiced making an old-fashioned tanker in Wings3d but I haven't gotten a chance to do the final product. I most likely will not release the NKGN-based old tanker b/c of quality issues. Now I can replace it with more realistic-looking ship w/o that weird midships smoke pipe.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-06, 06:54 PM   #707
AG124
Sea Lord

Downloads: 4

Quote:
Re: the tankers - I practiced making an old-fashioned tanker in Wings3d but I haven't gotten a chance to do the final product. I most likely will not release the NKGN-based old tanker b/c of quality issues. Now I can replace it with more realistic-looking ship w/o that weird midships smoke pipe.
Can't you just get rid of the smoke pipe, and then move the funnel with both Wings3d and Pack3d to get it into the right place? I recall that tanker and actually really like it.

Also, have you figured out the UV Mapping yet? Your ships don't seem to have a lot of texturing problems anymore. :hmm:

EDIT: Concerning the red-stacked freighter - I don't see anything wrong with the superstructure. What do you think needs to be changed.

DOWNLOAD GWX HERE:
http://www.thegreywolves.com/index.html
AG124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-06, 09:26 PM   #708
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

The corrected Harrison colors.

I think the old tanker's superstructure is too blocky. It will be easy to replace it with several more accurate-looking WWI-era tankers.
Old 04-06-06, 09:39 AM   #709
Boris
Sea Lord

Downloads: 41

OMG iambecomelife, your ships look awesome. Who said people were warship fans?? bah, they're worthless... I want more merchant tonnage to sink to the bottom!
How well can these new ships be integrated into the campaign? I know i've heard stuff about generic values, but any new ships I have installed (like AG124's whale factory and small tanker) I have never encountered.
It would be a shame to have all these new ships but to never see them.
The only new ship I have ever seen regularly is the large cargo included in the more recent mod packages, including GW.

Can new ships be added manually? I would'nt know where to start.
Boris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-06, 09:48 AM   #710
Boris
Sea Lord

Downloads: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG124
Off topic:

These are not new ships, but their threads are fading into the archives of posts - this thread is a sticky and thus I will post a couple of pictures here instead. Most of you have already seen them though.

Chatham Troop Transport:

Nipiwan Park Tanker

There are others (Belize, Heavy Merchant, Generic Tanker), but these either need work or aren't my best work.
Hey, AG124. I went back a few pages in this thread and found these... are these still WIP?
How many new ships have been released all up anyway? there's a serious lack of merchants in SH3, and I think you ships guys are doing the most important mod work to make the game more diverse.
Boris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-06, 10:25 AM   #711
AG124
Sea Lord

Concerning those two ships, The Chatham Troop Transport should actually be ready this weekend. That small Nipiwan Park Tanker will not be ready any time soon though. I also hope to fix the Belize Coastal Merchant and AOD Heavy Merchant soon too (neither of these two ships are listed in this thread though).

I am surprised that you are not seeing the NCOT or NCVW in the campaign, as there are random entries which should spawn them occasionally. It is better if you can script them in the campaign manually (using either the mission editior or wordpad/notepad) but they should appear occasionally on their own. I have not heard of a single Coastal Tanker appearing in the campaign, although several people have seen and sunk Whale Factories.

Edit: There are six new merchants currently available for download.
- Transport - Sergbuto
- Large Cargo - Sergbuto
- Hospital Ship - Iambecomelife
- Large Old Liner (Ceramic) - Chris911
- Coastal Tanker - AG124
- Converted Whale Factory Ship - AG124

There are also at least 40 WIP's from different modders.

DOWNLOAD GWX HERE:
Old 04-06-06, 11:20 AM   #712
UBOAT234
Weps

Downloads: 0

Hi, AG124,

Have reworked The Liner (NPPL_), to construct it much similar to the ship Cunard LUSITANIA, (in this moment it is still under construction, still it is not completed), experience most interestant ...

-Long 240 m (moved bow spray and twek the displacement)
-Added, obj of Barca15 and Barca16; (lifeboat)
-Added, obj for Cush and Funnel; (now it work);
-All obj added in .zon and .sim file (hit and smoke now it work 4 Funnel) moved hit zone in .zon file.
-All texture reworked.
A lot of the job has been made in HEX. But now I work with Visual C++
and I think is possible to create a tool for add all object.

But... they are not much able with Maya 3d... and UV-Map.

--I have a request: is possible mount in addition, a propeller ? (also work-spin)

(Excuse for my ugly english)

BEST REGARDS
UBOAT234
UBOAT234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-06, 01:16 PM   #713
Uapa
Watch

Downloads: 20

Hi!
I'have a question is it possible to make a sailing ship?
Old 04-06-06, 01:33 PM   #714
AG124
Sea Lord

That is incredible - you are making very good progress!

As for 3d nodes, I don't know if you can add another propeller. I didn't even think you could add extra .obj's or extra smoke nodes. I never added extra nodes before - I only worked with what was there.

I have a couple of suggestions though. First, you should change the name to be more realistic. There were actually a couple of four funnelled liners left by the Second World War (and a greater number of large three funnelled liners) but the Lusitania was sunk in 1915. Also, you should change the bridge - I don't know why such a modern-looking bridge was ever used in the game in the first place.

But still, great work.

And to answer Uapa'a question - yes, a sailing ship can be made, but it would be hard to kitbash.

DOWNLOAD GWX HERE:
Old 04-06-06, 01:48 PM   #715
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

Downloads: 165

iambecomelife, your models look freaking amazing, the textures are superb too. I have been following this thread forever, and now it looks like we are getting near. Any ETA?

And no, there are definitely not only people interested in warships. For me your new smaller merchants will be the most game enhancing mod up to date. I mean the combination with AGs ships, of course.

Bring it on, and great work, lads.

GlobalExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-06, 01:51 PM   #716
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

AG124, the Chatham Troop transport is particularly nice. How many tons has it got? I`d reckon it is in the range of the standard Troop transport, ca. 9000 tons? Which would be great, as I am dying for more ships in the mid to upper range (5000-10000 tons). Cheers.

Old 04-06-06, 01:53 PM   #717
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

@UBOAT234, very nice liner!! This should not show up too frequently, so I assume you will put it into the Class=103 category?

Old 04-06-06, 02:23 PM   #718
AG124
Sea Lord

The tonnage which I have set for the Chatham is currently about 5,500 GRT. That was about the tonnage of the actual ship on which it was based. The hull is a modified C2 hull, so it approximately that size.

The Nipiwan Park is about 2,400 GRT.

The other two ships which I might have done soon are the Belize Coastal Merchant and Heavy Merchant - the tonnages of those ships are around 2,300 and 4,500 GRT. There is also the possibility of the Caribou being finished in the next month - the tonnage of that model is 2,222 GRT.

DOWNLOAD GWX HERE:
Old 04-06-06, 02:38 PM   #719
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG124
The tonnage which I have set for the Chatham is currently about 5,500 GRT. That was about the tonnage of the actual ship on which it was based. The hull is a modified C2 hull, so it approximately that size.

The Nipiwan Park is about 2,400 GRT.

The other two ships which I might have done soon are the Belize Coastal Merchant and Heavy Merchant - the tonnages of those ships are around 2,300 and 4,500 GRT. There is also the possibility of the Caribou being finished in the next month - the tonnage of that model is 2,222 GRT.
That´s fine for me. Smaller targets! Makes the bigger ones worthwile, finally, and no need to scale down tonnage anymore.

Old 04-06-06, 06:01 PM   #720
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Man, 234, that liner kicks some serious stern! It's especially great that the four funnels all work. When X1 made their two-stack ship they used a dummy funnel (I plan on doing the same for my liners). Can you explain how you got them to work?

Someone asked about new ship tonnages. I'm thinking between 4800 and 6000 for all the new ships I posted. They are intended to balance out the larger ships (General Grant, Canadian Pacific freighter, Ross/McKnight tanker). The cargo ship with engines astern is slightly smaller than most of the others.

No idea when the ETA is for my stuff - we still need lots more ships. I was thinking about doing additional medium merchants - some composite deckhouse style (common for Norway and Japan) and modern motor freighters dating from 1930-39.